Windows 10: Explorer freezing randomly on opening random folders for a few second

Discus and support Explorer freezing randomly on opening random folders for a few second in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have the following problem on my laptop, Dell XPS 15 9570 i7-8750H 16GB RAM, that the Windows Explorer freezes for a few seconds, maybe 3-5 seconds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gorgor, Apr 5, 2019.

1. gorgor Win User

Explorer freezing randomly on opening random folders for a few second

I have the following problem on my laptop, Dell XPS 15 9570 i7-8750H 16GB RAM, that the Windows Explorer freezes for a few seconds, maybe 3-5 seconds on random folders. Just happened again after I opened it and clicked c: and the content just showed up after 3 seconds or so and the entire Explorer was frozen and the GUI not responsive.

Is there any way to find out, what is causing this?

I dont think I have other lags somewhere in Windows, just in this context.

The c: drive is a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD.

I am using Windows Defender as AV, so no third party AV. Latest Windows 10 64bit, 1809. I did a sfc /scannow already, no errors found. Device drivers are all up to date.

:)

gorgor, Apr 5, 2019
  2. Kreij Win User

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Apr 5, 2019
  3. windows freezing randomly

for the last few days my laptop (with windows 10) is freezing randomly ,specially when i am trying to open my movies folder and try to delete something.After 5 -7 mins explorer start to work again but then it started to freezing randomly ...

UTTAM GUHA, Apr 5, 2019
  4. Explorer freezing randomly on opening random folders for a few second

Windows 10 freezes randomly

I had already tried turning off fast startup, to no avail.
    Will look at the list you provided, thanks. Hard to do when computer freezes on the Windows loading screen though. *Biggrin
    I had tried that as well... no result.

Mountain Dew, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

Explorer freezing randomly on opening random folders for a few second

1. Explorer freezing randomly on opening random folders for a few second - Similar Threads - Explorer freezing randomly

2. File Explorer opens randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer opens randomly: Hi, I have a problem and is that yesterday my pc was lagging because I had a 3d rendering software eating all the RAM, so all the other tasks suffer lagging as a consequence, so I decided to close everything except task manager and the program. When it finished, I used the...
  3. PC randomly freezes for a few seconds and fans speed up

PC randomly freezes for a few seconds and fans speed up: Hello! I recently got a new PC and it worked fine for about 3 weeks until I installed an extra hard drive. Randomly the computer freezes for about three seconds and the fans start spinning extremely fast. This can occur both in gameplay and during some casual browsing time....
  4. Random Freezes

Random Freezes: Hello, I get random freezes on my PC. It can happen at any point, playing a game, or even just on the desktop. The freezes locks up the whole system and lasts for a few seconds. The intervals are different, I can go for a couple of hours without a freeze, other times it...
  5. File Explorer Opens Randomly

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer Opens Randomly: Whenever I start or end a game,browse,or just about any action,file explorer opens us.any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-opens-randomly/11572ebc-1ea3-4414-b049-0bc0b08081bd
  6. Mouse movement freezes the OS for a few seconds at random intervals

Mouse movement freezes the OS for a few seconds at random intervals: I just bought the MSI Cyberpower PC and booted it up and I have been having this problem all night. I have tried the following: Updating Windows Updating the drivers for the mouse (it just says I have the best version) Restarting the computer Unplugging and plugging the...
  7. Mouse movement freezes the OS for a few seconds at random intervals

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse movement freezes the OS for a few seconds at random intervals: I just bought the MSI Cyberpower PC and booted it up and I have been having this problem all night. I have tried the following: Updating Windows Updating the drivers for the mouse (it just says I have the best version) Restarting the computer Unplugging and plugging the...
  8. random freezes

random freezes: I have been having issues with windows 10 since my fresh install 3/4 days ago. at random times my pc will just freeze if there is sound when it hangs it just continuously makes noise. this wont go away unless i hard restart the pc freezes mostly randomly, while gaming,...
  9. random 1 second freezes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    random 1 second freezes: I installed windows 10 when it came out and have since experienced random 1 second freezes. I then started looking what might cause it and found out that every time my PC freezes systems CPU usage goes up by 20%. I then looked with Process Monitor what is happening and saw it...
  10. SSD Folder Randomly Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD Folder Randomly Opening: So I just put together this new machine and for some reason Explorer keeps opening to one of my SSDs seemingly at random. The SSD is an OCZ Vertex4 256GB and the only thing it's used for is as a scratch drive for Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop CS6. This happens even when...