Windows 10: explorer frequently freezes

Discus and support explorer frequently freezes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. I'm running Windows 10 home (10.0.19041) on a Thinkpad X1 carbon. In the last week, explorer has started to freeze very frequently. There are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gollux, Oct 4, 2020.

1. gollux Win User

explorer frequently freezes

Hi all. I'm running Windows 10 home (10.0.19041) on a Thinkpad X1 carbon. In the last week, explorer has started to freeze very frequently. There are two behaviors that seem to trigger a freeze:

1) When attempting to save-as from Google Chrome, explorer will become unresponsive (including the save-as dialogue itself, the desktop, and any other explorer windows currently open). Forcing explorer.exe to quit is the only thing that helps - at which point the save-as dialogue is unfrozen, allowing for the file to be saved without issue.

2) When transferring a file, the transfer will initially hang at 0% for 30-90 seconds before eventually transferring. (At first I thought this was only an issue when transferring to a network drive, but it actually happens when I'm transferring within my laptop's SSD.)

I've fiddled with explorer's settings as suggested on other posts, and I've run virus and malware scans. Nothing seems to help. Any ideas?

:)

gollux, Oct 4, 2020

2. Windows Explorer freeze

Hi Igor,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask a few questions with regard to freezing File Explorer.

• Have you made any changes to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Oct 4, 2020
  3. File Explorer freezes when hovering the cursor over the "create" section.

Hi Alex,

To better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages after File Explorer freezes?
    • What troubleshooting have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest you restart Windows Explorer by following the steps below:

• Type Task Manager in search bar.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • On the pop-up window, under Windows processes, scroll-down to
      Windows Explorer.
    • Right-click Windows Explorer, and click Restart.
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Oct 4, 2020
  4. explorer frequently freezes

Windows Internet Explorer (11.0.42) freezes and unable to close

Hi Ted,

The freeze error that you encountered with Internet Explorer can be caused by a corrupted cache or cookies. To effectively assist you with your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to your concern?
    • Are you getting the same error when browsing on other sites?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've performed to resolve your concern?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you
    clear your browsing history, cookies, and website data
    to ensure that your Internet Explorer is set to its optimal level. Click the drop-down arrow for the
    To delete cookies topic to view the steps. Once you're done, restart your device and check if you encounter the same error.

We're looking forward to your response.

Darwin Dim, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

explorer frequently freezes

1. explorer frequently freezes - Similar Threads - explorer frequently freezes

2. Computer freezing frequently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing frequently: System Specs:CPU: Intel Core i5 9600K default clock 3.7MHzGPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 TiMotherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z390-ARAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 DDR4 2 sticks 8gb running at 2133MHzStorage: 2 Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TBPower Supply: EVGA 750W G3 ModularI...
  3. Computer freezing frequently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing frequently: System Specs:CPU: Intel Core i5 9600K default clock 3.7MHzGPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 TiMotherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z390-ARAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 DDR4 2 sticks 8gb running at 2133MHzStorage: 2 Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TBPower Supply: EVGA 750W G3 ModularI...
  4. Frequent Freezes and Crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frequent Freezes and Crashes: Hello all,I recently built a new PC specs at the bottom and everything was going fine for a few days, and then while playing the new Resident Evil 4 remake, I was experiencing frequent crashing, especially in certain areas. The CPU and GPU were never really being taxed at the...
  5. Frequent freezing & BSOD

Frequent freezing & BSOD: Hello, I hope this is the right place for posting this.I am having problems with Win10Pro on my laptop. It randomly freezes and throws the BSOD. Usually the error shown is either IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or UNEXPECTED_STORAGE_EXCEPTION. Strangely the computer can behave itself...
  6. Windows freezes frequently

Windows freezes frequently: I have an 8 year old pc. I got it upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10 pro an year ago. From few days a problem is happening like when I open a tab of a chrome or run a medium application the application doesn't respond and if i try to open the taskbar the whole...
  7. System is freezing frequently

System is freezing frequently: My system is running very slow after windows 10 update and i can run any application or can't do any work on my system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-is-freezing-frequently/1afad945-aabf-4aed-bb58-a208b5914961
  8. Laptop freezes frequently

Laptop freezes frequently: It happened nearly a month ago after updating from 1909 to 2004 update that i noticed that my laptop ASUS FX505DT freezes frequently. Nothing seems to work in that state, ctrl+alt+del doesnt work neither any combinations. I waited for an hour but it was still in that state....
  9. Frequent laptop freeze

in Windows 10 Support
    Frequent laptop freeze: Hi! My windows suddenly started lagging, freezing, and apps crashed randomly. It even takes longer to boot and open an app, even file explorer takes a whole ten minutes to load. When I checked the task manager, the system and/or antimalware service executable is using my...
  10. Laptop frequent freeze

Laptop frequent freeze: Hi! My windows suddenly started lagging, freezing, and apps crashed randomly. It even takes longer to boot and open an app, even file explorer takes a whole ten minutes to load. When I checked the task manager, the system and/or antimalware service executable is using my...