Windows 10: Explorer hangs after switching users

Discus and support Explorer hangs after switching users in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a fairly recent (bought last May) HP laptop, which has developed the following problem. There are two active user accounts on the laptop, for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by unifex, May 16, 2021.

1. unifex Win User

Explorer hangs after switching users

I have a fairly recent (bought last May) HP laptop, which has developed the following problem. There are two active user accounts on the laptop, for two family members. Suppose one of them is using the laptop, but another wants to briefly use his account, without logging the first one out. Typically you click start, then the user icon, then choose another user from the appearing list and finally you are at the login screen. You enter your password, and you are supposed to be in your account. Recently, this procedure fails. Specifically, when the second user logs in, his desktop appears, but Explorer hangs, meaning the taskbar is unresponsive, the start button does not work, and the whole computer is unusable. The only way out is Ctrl-Alt-Del. Rebooting the machine restores normal function. You can log in into any of the two accounts. Any ideas?

:)

unifex, May 16, 2021

2. Cant switch users in Windows 10

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

Please share a few details:

• What exactly happens when you try to switch users?

• Do you receive any error message/code?

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to Switch users.

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Del key altogether.

• Click on Switch User.

• Select the user with which you want to login.

If computer starts up with a user other than the one you want, login to that user account and switch user to the account that you need and check.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, May 16, 2021
  3. SarahKong Win User
    File explorer hangs

Sorry I got nothing more to suggest then.

File explorer hanging is an image issue. So if you can't do a repair upgrade or reset your PC then you can contact microsoft support directly to see if they have further steps but I am sure they are going to tell the same thing i did.

SarahKong, May 16, 2021
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Cortana switched to Internet Explorer

Hi,

When you say “tried uninstalling Internet Explorer”, how exactly you tried uninstalling it?

For your information, I like to share that Internet Explorer is an inbuilt browser in Windows operating system and you cannot uninstall it.

To check the Windows build, I suggest you to follow the step below.

• Press Windows key + R key, type winver and press
      Enter key.

Also, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Default in the Search bar and select
      Default Programs from the list of search result.

• Find and click on Reset option at the bottom of the page.

• Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you

Mohan B P, May 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Explorer hangs after switching users - Similar Threads - Explorer hangs switching

2. Windows 11 23H2 hangs on switching user after applying Cumulative updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 23H2 hangs on switching user after applying Cumulative updates: Since 23H2 came out, after each cumulative update, I have encountered Windows 11 hangs when switching users. Upon rebooting, it defaults to the user that was going to be switched in. I discovered from an earlier closed post that by updating the Display adapter My desktop has...
  3. Windows 11 23H2 hangs on switching user after applying Cumulative updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 23H2 hangs on switching user after applying Cumulative updates: Since 23H2 came out, after each cumulative update, I have encountered Windows 11 hangs when switching users. Upon rebooting, it defaults to the user that was going to be switched in. I discovered from an earlier closed post that by updating the Display adapter My desktop has...
  4. Explorer sometirmes hang

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer sometirmes hang: windows11wordDISM.exesfc /scannow windowsPCwindows10 I am using windows11. Sometimes it happens that the file list is not displayed in Explorer. No response is returned and it hangs. However, the list of files is displayed from file dialogs such as word. DISM.exe and sfc...
  5. Windows Explorer Hanging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Hanging: For some reason windows explorer suddenly stops responding even though i am doing light work. I am able to use the apps normally that i have opened already but the taskbar becomes frozen. It restarts when i click on it and wait for a couple of seconds. Apps have also started...
  6. Windows Explorer Hanging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer Hanging: For some reason windows explorer suddenly stops responding even though i am doing light work. I am able to use the apps normally that i have opened already but the taskbar becomes frozen. It restarts when i click on it and wait for a couple of seconds. Apps have also started...
  7. freeze after switching user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    freeze after switching user: when i shutdown pc and then switch account on next boot windows gets stuck. any idea witch this happens. i got stuck home screen and i can press anything on task bar. submitted by /u/omarazos [link] [comments]...
  8. File Explorer HANGING

File Explorer HANGING: Everytime I try to OPEN a file in FILE EXPLORER, it just HANGS, NOT RESPONDING.... Doesn't matter what kind of file whether PPT, TXT, doesn't matter... I have to END the TASK and it closes out entire FILE EXPLORER window. ANY Ideas? Was it any WINDOWS update? DID not...
  9. File Explorer hanging

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer hanging: Hi All, Have a customer that has new Win 10 machines (i7, 16GB, 512SSD) on 2 of the machines File Explorer is hanging frequently. Have does the usual stuff to set it to My Pc rather that Quick Access, cleared cahe etc but still does it. Quick fix is a script to kill...
  10. Windows Explorer Hangs

Windows Explorer Hangs: Hi, I have a laptop at home that partially hangs when you open Windows Explorer. After booting up and logging in - when you open Windows Explorer it displays 'Quick Access' (no folders) and on the right says 'Working on it' - and then it stays like this forever. I've...