Windows 10: Explorer hangs when trying to open share

Discus and support Explorer hangs when trying to open share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to access a share on my desktop computer from my laptop. I can connect to the share and the share appears on the left hand side in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ricecrispies, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Explorer hangs when trying to open share

I am trying to access a share on my desktop computer from my laptop. I can connect to the share and the share appears on the left hand side in Explorer, but Explorer hangs a lot when I try to get into the share or do other operations such as changing a folder name. Sometimes it will let me get into the top level of the share, but hang when I try to get into a subfolder, but often it hangs as soon as I click on the share. When I say hang, I mean a spinning wheel. Sometimes I can close the window to terminate the attempt, but sometimes I have to go into task manager and kill Explorer to regain control.

What is going on?

One extra bit of information which may be relevant is that for some reason the share is invisible from the network browser. I have to type the name of the share into the address bar to access it.

EDIT: It now looks as if some of the hanging is just things taking a very long time, as in several minutes to open a folder.

:)

ricecrispies, Nov 6, 2017

2. External hard drive not responding only when connected to my laptop.

What happens when you connect the drive? Does it show up in Explorer? If so, when you try to open it what happens? Does it cause Explorer to hang or something?

RobertJWin, Nov 6, 2017
  3. Omiti Win User
    E7-00 hangs when trying to open "Installed Apps" from Settings menu - Application Manager

My Nokia E7-00 hangs every time I try to open Application Manager to uninstall applications - it says "scanning memory" and hangs there. Only way to come out of it is to hard reboot the phone. I tried reinstalling the device software from PC Ovi Suite and
    even though the reinstall completed successfully, it still hangs just the same as before. As a result, I am unable to uninstall ANY applications - I am stuck. Please help.

Omiti, Nov 6, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Explorer hangs when trying to open share

Its normally a disk fault on the share or a corrupted file

Samuria, Nov 6, 2017
  5. Thanks for the reply *Smile

I'd assumed it was a problem on the machine with the share too, but rebooting the client seems to have resolved the issue.

ricecrispies, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Explorer hangs when trying to open share

1. Explorer hangs when trying to open share - Similar Threads - Explorer hangs trying

2. File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens: File Explorer keeps hanging when launching or when resizing the window. Some times it will un-hang by itself after a while if left alone, otherwise it will crash. I had an issue where Windows applications such as Task Manager or Settings where taking too long to launch from...
  3. Computer hangs when I try to open a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer hangs when I try to open a file: Recently my Windows 10 computer started hanging when I try to open a file. For example, in Word I click Open and immediately an empty navigation window opens. EMPTY! And the application says Not Responding if I try to click anything else. The empty window persists for 30...
  4. Explorer hangs when opening a zip file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer hangs when opening a zip file: It typically remains unresponsive for 5-10 seconds until it finally display the contents of the zip file. Extracting files is also relatively slow. This is on a i7-U6500 with 16 GB LPDDR3 laptop, so that should not be the problem. I have no add-ons or extensions to Explorer...
  5. File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents: This has been happening for the last 2 days and it's extremely annoying. When I locate the file I want in Explorer, and it's likely stored in my Dropbox folder, Explorer will hang and I have to "End task" from task manager. However, if I open Word/Excel/Powerpoint and...
  6. Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file: HI Team I am facing a problem while trying to open an excel file or word document from windows explorer. If I try to double click/press enter after selecting the file name, windows explorer doesn't respond. I have to forcefully close it. Steps followed Open windows...
  7. Windows Explorer hangs om opening

Windows Explorer hangs om opening: Why does my Windows explored app hang when opening? It doesn't operate at all despite a 'working on it' message. can it be fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-hangs-om-opening/16d19633-d752-440c-97d9-716b2c9dd491"
  8. Windows explorer hangs when trying to create a new folder

Windows explorer hangs when trying to create a new folder: Every time I try to create a new folder in windows explorer it hangs, then doesn't respond, then goes back to the explorer screen without the folder being made (total time around 1 min). I've tried the system check and a clean boot with no success. Its really annoying when...
  9. Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files

Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files: I am using a Surface Tablet 6 with windows 10. When I try to open a Word, Excel, Powerpoint by double clicking on the file, Windows Explorer just hangs with the spinning wheel. I can open the files if i do it from the application. The files have been tested from onedrive...
  10. Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder

Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder: Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder. If I start Windows (10) in safe mode then it will open the Onedrive folder fine, but fails to open the file successfully, the associated app will open but fail to load the file. I have done all of the basics such as sfc, dism and...