Windows 10: Explorer keeps crashing and I can't figure out why

Discus and support Explorer keeps crashing and I can't figure out why in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: explorer.exe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kiathong, Jun 13, 2020.

1. kiathong Win User

Explorer keeps crashing and I can't figure out why

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: explorer.exe
    Application Version: 10.0.18362.693
    Application Timestamp: 587c1978
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_afc1
    Fault Module Version: 10.0.18362.719
    Fault Module Timestamp: 64d10ee0
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: PCH_4C_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009CC14
    OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: afc1
    Additional Information 2: afc1848bc7018618d416f9db39be8d67
    Additional Information 3: 666f
    Additional Information 4: 666f0021d6f82c93b6222b4b09659202

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 18249d36576d682bc618452c55955ac0 1592098524992199360

:)

kiathong, Jun 13, 2020
  2. Gencijs Win User

File explorer keeps crashing in Win 10

Hello,

I did the steps you wrote. All the settings were as you suggested. The File Explorer keeps crashing.

Gencijs, Jun 13, 2020
  3. vinceip Win User
    Explorer Crash FIX!

Our old Dell Inspiron N5110 got this problem also.
    Taskbar keeps refreshing. Thanks many hints from guys above pointed me the direction to fix it.
    From Reliability History Monitor I found Explorer keeps crashing because of IDTNC64.CPL (type reliability history at Start)
    1. the issue was from IDTNC64.cpl, the sound driver,
    but I could not successfully to uninstall it from device manager nor control panel or rename the file or the folder.
    2. uninstalled High Definition Audio Device few times, problem remain
    3. tried to uninstall within Control Panel > Program file, yet Control Panel only open 2, 3 seconds then closed automatically.
    4. finally solved Control Panel shut down problem by going to msconfig>services>and disable Windows Error Reporting Service. see below sequence:
    Click window + R keys, type msconfig, Enter to open msconfig, click Services Tag and look for Windows Error Reporting Service. Unchecked it, then apply, ok then reboot system when it suggests.
    5. After this, open Control Panel by clicking Start > type Control Panel. Then my Control Panel open and stay put, won't shut down by itself.
    6. In Control Panel > Programs > I found IDT Audio and successfully to uninstall it.
    7. No more taskbar refresh or Windows Explore shut down after uninstalled IDT and Sound still works great!!!
    8. repeat step 4 to check Windows Error Reporting Services by clicking it. OK then follow system suggestion to reboot.
    9. Control Panel still able to open and remain open. Sound still works and no more refresh.
    10. From Reliability History monitor found no more Windows Explorer crashing.
    I am happy and hope above steps help

vinceip, Jun 13, 2020
  4. Jaune Bel Win User

Windows explorer (File explorer) Keeps crashing

Hi,

For us to know more about this issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages whenever the File Explorer crashes?
    • Are you experiencing other issues aside from this after the update?

We suggest that you check on this article on
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    and try to open the Windows File Explorer again. If the issue still persists, you can check on this

link
    and try the second method given by ThofikAhamad.

Let us know how it goes.

Jaune Bel, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Explorer keeps crashing and I can't figure out why - Similar Threads - Explorer keeps crashing

2. why can't i figure this out?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why can't i figure this out?: i bought a copy of windows 11 from Microsoft's website, but when i installed it it just gave me a better version of windows 10. i can't figure it out thru the updates section either. what am i missing or forgetting?...
  3. why can't i figure this out?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why can't i figure this out?: i bought a copy of windows 11 from Microsoft's website, but when i installed it it just gave me a better version of windows 10. i can't figure it out thru the updates section either. what am i missing or forgetting?...
  4. Pc keeps crashing and i can't figure it out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc keeps crashing and i can't figure it out: For the past two months, my pc has been bluescreening, blackscreening, and constantly crashing out of games. I've replaced everything inside of my pc except my hard drive. I went to microcenter for help and they installed an ssd for me as well. I don't know what I'm doing at...
  5. Pc keeps crashing and i can't figure it out

Pc keeps crashing and i can't figure it out: For the past two months, my pc has been bluescreening, blackscreening, and constantly crashing out of games. I've replaced everything inside of my pc except my hard drive. I went to microcenter for help and they installed an ssd for me as well. I don't know what I'm doing at...
  6. Baldur's gate 3 keeps crashing and I can't figure out why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Baldur's gate 3 keeps crashing and I can't figure out why?: I've started playing baldur's gate 3 recently and it would crash pretty often in the beginning, but the other night it was completely fine and I was able to play for a solid amount of hours with no crash. However, the last two days it's been crashing pretty nonstop every 30...
  7. Baldur's gate 3 keeps crashing and I can't figure out why?

Baldur's gate 3 keeps crashing and I can't figure out why?: I've started playing baldur's gate 3 recently and it would crash pretty often in the beginning, but the other night it was completely fine and I was able to play for a solid amount of hours with no crash. However, the last two days it's been crashing pretty nonstop every 30...
  8. Windows 10 keeps crashing with "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" but can't figure out why

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 keeps crashing with "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" but can't figure out why: Sometimes, my Windows 10 PC with an RTX 3080 GPU and Intel 9th-Gen CPU can stay on without problem for days, then every now and then, but regularly, it can blue screen and crash with the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.This time, I managed to find the error in the Event...
  9. Continuous crashes can't figure out why

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Continuous crashes can't figure out why: Recently my laptop keeps crashing whenever I try to do something normal on it... sometimes it crashes suddenly after logging in and sometimes I can use it for like 4-8 hours in a stretchI tried searching on the event logs and couldn't find anything which points towards the...
  10. I can't figure out why my Windows Explorer Keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't figure out why my Windows Explorer Keeps crashing: Every time I try to copy some files from a secondary hard drive to my user account, Windows Explorer doesn't even pop up, and sometimes my taskbar will disappear and reappear. When I open the Problem Details in the control panel, there are a bunch of errors for the Windows...