Windows 10: Explorer-Network does not keep all computer names on LAN

Discus and support Explorer-Network does not keep all computer names on LAN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have to re-enter them via the Address bar. Does anyone know why or how to make them stay there ? They used to and its just changed for some reason.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kirkm900, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Kirkm900 Win User

Explorer-Network does not keep all computer names on LAN

I have to re-enter them via the Address bar.

Does anyone know why or how to make them stay there ? They used to and its just changed for some reason.

TIA.

:)

Kirkm900, Mar 7, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Find Host names of all computers on LAN

Hi folks

when file explorer doesn't show all computers on a Lan is there any script that I can use to find the HOSTNAMES / COMPUTER NAMES when I can get their IP addresses

I can get the IP address easily enough (nmap / arp or similar) but from IP address any way to get the host names.

For example (I've shown in a GUI application since it's easier to display the problem than console output) :

There's 3 computers I'm interested in -- a Windows QEMU VM and the other 2 with Not available in the Manufacturers name in the list shown.

All on a LOCAL lan

Explorer-Network does not keep all computer names on LAN [​IMG]

The reason I want this is that with latest fast build rings file browsing via file explorer either only shows Windows machines or only the actual Windows host itself - no non Windows machines such as NAS servers are visible. Windows networking does this from time to time so it's better to have a reliable method not dependent on File explorer.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 7, 2021
  3. taward Win User
    One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Mar 7, 2021
  4. Jingles Win User

My computer's name is not displayed in file explorer Network group.

My computer's name (Office) does not appear in the local Network list.
    It does appear on other computer's (XPS-Club) Network list.
    Office is primary system in my profile.
    XPS-Club is second system in my profile.

If I type \\Office in the Network Address bar, the name and associated shares is displayed in the local list.
    However, the information is only shown for the current file explorer session.

- - - Updated - - -

Upon reviewing my original post, I realized I really hadn't asked for help. I know there are many threads similar to mine, both on this forum and in many other forums on the internet, but I have yet to find a solution for my particular situation.

So, I am asking the members of this forum for assistance in getting my Office computer to display itself in its own network group.

Jingles, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Explorer-Network does not keep all computer names on LAN - Similar Threads - Explorer Network does

2. LAN Networking between two computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LAN Networking between two computers: My network between my two computers connected via a Gigabit switch does not work, I have to uninstall my ethernet connection and restart my computer to get it working and the networking falls out again when I restart the computer. Can anyone help, it's driving me crazy....
  3. Find Host names of all computers on LAN

Find Host names of all computers on LAN: Hi folks when file explorer doesn't show all computers on a Lan is there any script that I can use to find the HOSTNAMES / COMPUTER NAMES when I can get their IP addresses I can get the IP address easily enough (nmap / arp or similar) but from IP address any way to get the...
  4. My computer's name is not displayed in file explorer Network group.

My computer's name is not displayed in file explorer Network group.: My computer's name (Office) does not appear in the local Network list. It does appear on other computer's (XPS-Club) Network list. Office is primary system in my profile. XPS-Club is second system in my profile. If I type \\Office in the Network Address bar, the name and...
  5. File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer

File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer: Am using Windows 10 version 10 build 18362l.145 on three machines all on my Private Network. Machines 1 and 2 show each other in File Explorer/Network. But Machine 3 shows only itself there. 1 and 2 show 3 and can access 3 at will. Each machine has Network discovery turned...
  6. File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer

File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer: I have two computers on my private network, Dell-Desktop and Acer-Laptop. File Explorer on the Dell does not see the Acer. The Acer's File Explorer sees the Dell just fine and allows me to access the shared files on the Dell. I can, from the command line on the Dell, ping...
  7. My PC keeps changing its LAN network name on its own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC keeps changing its LAN network name on its own: That causes a loss of network connection and internet access. I reboot the device and the network name restores but then, an hour later it changes again and connection is lost. My PC is connected to the CenturyLink modem via a NetGear WN3000 WiFi Range Extender. All other...
  8. Network computer name

Network computer name: 2 computers: L and D. I want to share all files on L with D File explorer in D shows truncated name for computer L I tried to share the c: drive on L but when I look at in in D it tells me I have to permissions. How do I reset and start again?...
  9. computers with same name on LAN problem

computers with same name on LAN problem: Hi there If I have two computers on a LAN with the same name Windows can't see the rest of the network but only the individual computer you are logged on to. All these machines connected via Ethernet cable (not wireless). Windows 10 PRO x-64 latest standard build (not...
  10. Lan network

Lan network: How can I make Windows 10 to make automatic IP adress for my Lan network so it will stay https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/lan-network/77038a8c-38c9-4d0b-a151-ed10442803e9