Windows 10: Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer

Discus and support Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; FYI: I was just reading yesterday that M$ in their wisdom is removing HomeGroups from Win10 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GARoss, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Kbird Win User

Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer

FYI: I was just reading yesterday that M$ in their wisdom is removing HomeGroups from Win10

Kbird, Jan 8, 2018
  2. Kbird Win User

Hi Eagle51 ,

I don't know PowerShell so your script is interesting , everything is working AFAIK but I get an error in the script that it can't find a "item property in the registry" but it still runs .....I have added the error to the top of the Check.txt file if you don't mind looking at it please.... BTW the script saves the file to the User's Desktop Folder ...which likely works with most people but if like me you have your Desktop Location on another Drive , the Script doesn't respect that and still uses the User Folder so you can't see it on the desktop.

Thanks

KB

Kbird, Jan 8, 2018
  3. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey Kbird,
    It's just combined commands from here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...in-windows-and

So, it's just a simple snippet with no error checking, but some errors can still be helpful, if you know what your looking for *Smile Obviously the smb-check.txt will be different for different setup scenarios (ie. Regular File Sharing, NAS, Router USB File Sharing, etc)

I didn't think about people moving user folders to another drive. Might have to look into to that, thanks.

That error is from this line - Get-ItemPropertyValue -Path HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters -Name SMB1,SMB2

To enable or disable SMBv1 on the SMB server, configure the following registry key:
    Registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    Registry entry: SMB1
    REG_DWORD: 0 = Disabled
    REG_DWORD: 1 = Enabled
    Default: 1 = Enabled (No registry key is created)

To enable or disable SMBv2 on the SMB server, configure the following registry key:
    Registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    Registry entry: SMB2
    REG_DWORD: 0 = Disabled
    REG_DWORD: 1 = Enabled
    Default: 1 = Enabled (No registry key is created)

Eagle51, Jan 8, 2018
  4. Kbird Win User

Thanks Eagle51 I have those under LanManWorkstation ( maybe I did that? can't remember ) so I added them under LanManServer too and the script runs fine and puts the .txt on the Desktop, after I set the output to the Desktop Folder on E: .

I am old school and like using Desktop Icons for current "projects" eg folder shortcuts , websites, etc as I hate the Start Menu/favourites (bookmarks)..... this way if I need to re-install win10 I simply move the Desktop Location back to E:\ after a reinstall and all my shortcuts are back on the desktop.

Desktop Restore 1.6.4 by Jamie O'Connell still seems to work well in Win10 to re-organise the Icons too if they get messed up.

Kbird, Jan 9, 2018
  5. GARoss Win User
    That figures. Just my luck! *Wink

GARoss, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Kbird Win User
    I thought you'd love that *Smile

back to post #2 *Smile

Kbird, Jan 9, 2018
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    BTW ... I forgot to mention, if you just wanted to see the output in PowerShell and not save to a .txt file ... just use this

get-windowsoptionalfeature -Online -FeatureName SMB1Protocol
    get-smbserverconfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol, EnableSMB2Protocol
    sc.exe query mrxsmb10
    sc.exe qc mrxsmb10
    sc.exe query mrxsmb20
    sc.exe qc mrxsmb20
    sc.exe query browser
    sc.exe qc browser
    sc.exe query fdPHost
    sc.exe qc fdPHost
    sc.exe query FDResPub
    sc.exe qc FDResPub
    Get-ItemPropertyValue -Path HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters -Name SMB1,SMB2
    Get-ItemPropertyValue -Path HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation -Name DependOnService

Eagle51, Jan 9, 2018
  8. GARoss Win User

Yep. *Smile

2 it is... but, will MS ever fix whatever they did to mess it up in the first place? *Confused

GARoss, Jan 9, 2018
  9. Kbird Win User
    Most of the issues are in regard to removing SMB1 and network file discovery AFAIK ...so no .....as that has been or is being like HomeGroups removed from Win10 permanently.

looks like I messed up my network yesterday playing with these powershell scripts *Sad I no longer see other computers on the network on this computer this morning.....

KB.

Kbird, Jan 9, 2018
  10. GARoss Win User
    I don't know what's going on with Network. I don't even see MY computer on my network! Just my wife's. On her's I just see her's. Odd.

Is there as safe way to reset & start fresh?

GARoss, Jan 9, 2018
  11. Kbird Win User
    I noticed If you have the Server module of SMBv1 installed you will see your own computer under Network otherwise as a Client you only see other computers, printers, NAS etc

I am not sure 100% if one computer on the "Network" should be set to Server or not..... I can't see anything at the moment but am waiting since sometimes Network Discovery can take an hour or more to update the "list" from the server before you see other computers.

If that doesn't work I will re-image the system to 2 days ago with Macrium reflect and hope that puts it back the way it was on Monday....

I have only used the Reset>save my information Option once and it worked pretty well ...it does save pics/docs etc but you still have to reinstall most programs.... it even puts a list of the Apps it removes on your desktop , so you know what to reinstall.

KB.

Kbird, Jan 9, 2018
  12. Techjourney, Jan 10, 2018
  13. GARoss Win User

Another day, another change in how Explorer / Network works.

Today, all three PCs are listed in Explorer / Network / Computer on all three PCs - two desktops & one HP laptop. I did absolutely nothing to change this... it fixed itself. *Rolleyes Tomorrow... or maybe even later today, who knows? *Wink

Must be gremlins at play! *Wink

GARoss, Jan 10, 2018
  14. Kbird Win User
    Sounds like it just took a while for the "List" to populate across the Network , mine are back today too after running Macrium restore last night and setting ( or trying to) my second Router as the Master Browser on the network since it is always on, unlike the desktops and M$ Surface I have. The Surface is a strange one it seems to be able to stay on the "network" almost no matter what if it is On.

KB.

Kbird, Jan 10, 2018
  15. GARoss Win User
    Let's hope so, Kbird. Glad to hear your Network is okay.

GARoss, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer - Similar Threads - Explorer Network shown

2. No networks shown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No networks shown: I hadn't realised it up until now but I have no networks shown in my wifi tab, my ethernet connected to my wifi and works fine but its intervening in something i'm downloading I think. This never used to happen though, there were other wifi networks in my area as well that...
  3. No networks shown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No networks shown: I hadn't realised it up until now but I have no networks shown in my wifi tab, my ethernet connected to my wifi and works fine but its intervening in something i'm downloading I think. This never used to happen though, there were other wifi networks in my area as well that...
  4. No networks shown

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. A computer on a private network not shown

A computer on a private network not shown: I have two computers A and B on a private network using Ethernet.Computer A can access computer B, but B cannot access A.Computers both A and B use the following settings for the Private network in the "Advanced sharing settings" page.'Turn on network discovery' and 'Turn on...
  6. Images not shown in Windows Explorer except in Recycle Bin

Images not shown in Windows Explorer except in Recycle Bin: This is a continuation from my previous topic here; I marked it as answered but then realized there were other problems afterwards. As instructed; I followed to the command line: dir Music\*.jpg /s /b /a /p to show all .jpg files and that has worked wonderfully....
  7. Windows 10 Pro - Network Computers not shown consistently in Explorer

Windows 10 Pro - Network Computers not shown consistently in Explorer: I recently upgraded my Laptop from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The system seemed to perform fine for a little while, then I began to have problems with Explorer not showing Network Computers. Sometimes, it could not see itself and others it could see other computers....
  8. Computer found on the network but no files shown

Computer found on the network but no files shown: This started a week ago after loosing power. I have 4 computers that are linked together on my network. All 4 computers are showing up in my network. The problem is my main computer (shieldsservice) when you try to access it from any other computer it says the folder is...
  9. CANNOT ACCESS OTHER COMPUTERS ON NETWORK SHOWN

CANNOT ACCESS OTHER COMPUTERS ON NETWORK SHOWN: - ACCESS DENIED CONTACT ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS A HOME NETWORK AND THERE IS NO ADMINISTRATOR TO MY KNOWLEDGE EARLIER USERNAME NAME WAS ASKED AND PASSWORD I DONT KNOW EITHER, NEVER SET UP PASSWORDS OTHER THAN THAN GMAIL AND SYNCG WITH ROUTER...
  10. Available Networks not shown

Available Networks not shown: On login screen (Refer screenshot 1) available networks are shown when I click on icon of WI-FI. [img] However, when I login and click on WI-FI icon, available networks are not show. I have tried all the solutions available on different forums but nothing seems to be...