Windows 10: Explorer not displaying PDF thumbnails, but will display JPEGs

Discus and support Explorer not displaying PDF thumbnails, but will display JPEGs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey Guys, this is an odd one. I have a new Win10 machine which completely refuses to display thumbnails for PDF file types. I have checked the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scoob101, Oct 4, 2016.

1. scoob101 Win User

Explorer not displaying PDF thumbnails, but will display JPEGs

Hey Guys, this is an odd one.

I have a new Win10 machine which completely refuses to display thumbnails for PDF file types.

I have checked the view settings in explorer, and also the visual effects settings and it looks correct.

I have tried using Adobe Reader DC (which required a preferences setting to be changed to generate thumbnails) and also Foxit Reader (which doesn't) with no luck. Currently I have Foxit Reader installed.

PDF`s are currently visible in a preview pane, but PDF thumbnails simply wont show up! JPG thumbnails, however, generate just fine.

I did have this issue a while ago on an old machine, but the issue "went away" - I didn't take any deliberate actions to fix, so I`m at a loss to know whats going on here.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

:)

scoob101, Oct 4, 2016

2. Thumbnails do not show for pictures

I have "Turn off the display of thumbnails and only display icons" unchecked. Thumbnails for files such as JPEG files show up, but the thumbnails don't show up for files such as Canon's RAW files with the CR2 extensions. I can buy software that will
    make these appear, but it doesn't appear that Microsoft keeps up with anything past the basics with regard to photos. It surprises me that they don't.

SBrewer557, Oct 4, 2016
  3. DJW66 Win User
    When I upgraded to Win 10 my folder thumbnails no longer fill the whole folder

Compatibility mode (Win 7) didn't work. The display driver is current for Win 10. Nothing changed. The size of the thumbnail jpeg's are the same as pictured as above. The display driver is current for Win 10. The pixel dimensions are all at least a minimum
    of 100x100 px.

DJW66, Oct 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 5, 2016
  5. scoob101 Win User
    Yes, that's the option I'm referring to.

That adobe post is 4 years old so not too sure its pertinent now. Adobe have apparently fixed their lack of support for thumbnails in their PDF reader based on what ive read, but to be honest that's all pretty academic for me- reason being that I have 3 other machines using foxit on win10 to generate pdf thumbnails, so I know it can work..... its just this one doesn't want to play for some reason.

scoob101, Oct 5, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi I have the latest build (14393.222) and use Sumatra - at one point it had an experimental version which produced thumbnails- but this is probably not supported now. I installed Nitro pdf reader- and that does produce thumbnails.

Maybe you'd like to try that just as an experiment for comparison?

If it's an Adobe specific issue, you may be better referring that to their forum. There have been a couple of issues with Adobe Reader and Win 10.

dalchina, Oct 5, 2016
  7. scoob101 Win User
    Cheers - I`ll install nitro as another comparison and report back. My guess is that it wont work as I`m suspecting this is something not right at the OS layer rather than the application layer, but its a good test nonetheless.

scoob101, Oct 5, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hmm, I've just tried Foxit R, and that as default is supposed to show thumbnails, but doesn't...

dalchina, Oct 5, 2016
  9. scoob101 Win User
    That's very interesting. I`ve installed Foxit Reader on a few different machines and also after a few reinstalls, and for me at least it has allowed thumbnails to display. Perhaps it is a little flaky.

scoob101, Oct 5, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Well, I reset Foxit as default, and now it does display thumbnails... hey ho..

dalchina, Oct 5, 2016
  11. scoob101 Win User
    This all sounds jolly inconsistent to me - Foxit should be (and has been) able to consistently display thumbnails in explorer regardless of which reader is the default application. In fact, that's my default configuration, which I`ve used on 3 machines - I have foxit installed to provide a PDF printer and thumbnails - and I have Drawboard PDF as the default viewer.

I`ll have a play with Nitro at lunchtime and let you know the results.

scoob101, Oct 5, 2016
  12. There is a problem with the latest Foxit update which it why Explorer preview doesn't work on x64 systems. They only included the x86 .dll file NOT the x64 .dll.

The fix can be found here http://forums.foxitsoftware.com/foru...689#post157689

youravinalarrrf, Oct 5, 2016
  13. scoob101 Win User

Superb - many thanks for this- it fixed my problem!

For reference, here is what I did::

1 Download the plugin for Win7 64bit system via below link.
    http://sync-cn.foxitsoftware.com/iss...lHndlr_x64.dll

2 Replace the file FoxitThumbnailHndlr_x86.dll with the downloaded one (make sure you delete the x86 DLL). The file could be found under the installation folder, somewhere like
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Shell Extensions .

3 Register the downloaded preview plug-in.
    1) Click on the Start Menu and select the Run item.
    2) Type cmd in the field and right click the result and choose 'run as administrator' to run it.
    3) A terminal window will appear on the screen. Run command regsvr32.exe "[path of the plug-in]“ to re-register the plug-in. For example,
    regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Shell Extensions\FoxitThumbnailHndlr_x64.dll"

scoob101, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer not displaying PDF thumbnails, but will display JPEGs - Similar Threads - Explorer displaying PDF

2. PDF preview not displaying in File Explorer, Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF preview not displaying in File Explorer, Win11: For me, I kept checking the box in Adobe and it would uncheck.It finally stayed checked not even sure what that was about, but File Explorer still would not show a preview.I went back to File Explorer > Options > View > scroll down SHOW PREVIEW HANDLERS IN PREVIEW PANEThis...
  3. .png thumbnails displayed as square in the Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .png thumbnails displayed as square in the Windows Explorer: Hi there,-> Windows 11 is cropping the *.png thumbnails in the file Explorer. It doesn't do it for the *.jpg files.This is very annoying: I'm a graphic designer and when I want to replace an existing file with a new version, I don't see the full image as thumbnail but only a...
  4. .png thumbnails displayed as square in the Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .png thumbnails displayed as square in the Windows Explorer: Hi there,-> Windows 11 is cropping the *.png thumbnails in the file Explorer. It doesn't do it for the *.jpg files.This is very annoying: I'm a graphic designer and when I want to replace an existing file with a new version, I don't see the full image as thumbnail but only a...
  5. Thumbnails in Windows Explorer are Not Displayed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnails in Windows Explorer are Not Displayed: I've tried every solution described in this article, but I can't get Windows 10 Edu. 1909 64 bit to display thumbnails in Windows Explorer. "Always show icons, never thumbnails" in Windows Explorer is deactivated. Any help would be appreciated. submitted by /u/-Skybird-...
  6. Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer: I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, having decided to move away from Apple MacBook. This has proven to be a disaster. I use my laptop as I edit photos and graphic design content. However it is proving an impossible task to do this as all of my saved files won't...
  7. Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer

Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer: Thumbnails on my new laptop running Win10 are not displaying in Explorer or editing software. They show briefly after a folder opens and when I use the slider, they show for a split second as the mouse scrolls down. Otherwise only an icon shows....
  8. Thumbnail display

Thumbnail display: I cannot keep thumbnails displaying. I dump cache but this doesnt fix the problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbnail-display/4f00e77a-4a00-4fd6-8657-86a8f723b325"
  9. Explorer: CMYK jpeg thumbnails in negative

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer: CMYK jpeg thumbnails in negative: I noticed this a few days ago, googled and found this 2012 thread–and no solution: My folders show CMYK jpeg thumbnails in negative. Can't figure out - Microsoft Community [img] Any idea why it is so and how to fix it?My system is Windows 10 Pro 1809 (17763.292). Thanks...
  10. Thumbnails Displaying

Thumbnails Displaying: I have a large(ish) folder of pictures. For some of the pictures the thumbnail is a preview of the picture. For others it is the generic picture icon. All of the pictures are in the same format, and taken from the same device. Size does not appear to be a factor. Tried...