Windows 10: Explorer not responding, Task Manager not opening

Discus and support Explorer not responding, Task Manager not opening in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, I hope someone here can help me because I'm at my wit's end. I have a Surface Pro 4, running windows 10 that I hadn't turned on in about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by esousa85, Apr 30, 2020.

1. esousa85 Win User

Explorer not responding, Task Manager not opening

Hi all,

I hope someone here can help me because I'm at my wit's end.

I have a Surface Pro 4, running windows 10 that I hadn't turned on in about 4-6 weeks. Yesterday I tried it and to my despair could not log in - the log in screens were super slow and when they came back to life just had a message "There was a problem with your camera, please log in with PIN".

After a few tries I was able to log in with my password, but now I have a new problem: nothing actually starts. I can see my desktop with the taskbar with just the default buttons windows key + search icon and in the other end the clock and the notification icon. When I hover over it mouse just turns into a loader. Windows key does nothing I've tried all combinations, windows + E, Windows + R, etc and if I try to open the task manager by doing CTRL + ALT + DEL nothing opens. Also I tried to create a new folder on the desktop just by right-clicking on it and then selecting new --> folder, but I just end up getting the 0x8000ffff catastrophic failure error.

I've tried restarting it in safe mode from the login screen by pressing shift while restarting, but it just restarts normally; I've tried crashing it 3 times during Windows start by pressing the power button, to see if the advanced startup options are available, but it just starts normally.

Does anyone have any idea of what I could try next?

:)

esousa85, Apr 30, 2020

2. Explorer and Task Manager do not respond

This is a random bug that occurred when I did the following:

1. Request to "save as" a file using Google Chrome

2. Explorer window to select destination never opened

3. Tried to open Task Manager and restart Explorer, Task Manager opened and stopped responding (nothing ever appeared)

4. Tried to open File Explorer but it never opens the window

5. Tried to open Task Manager using Ctrl + Alt + Del (the same thing happened) and some of my taskbar icons disappeared (shortcuts are still there, but have no image). Groove, Store, Email, Netflix and Messenger still have their icons. Chrome, Paint, Task
    Manager, Discord and other don't

6. Sent termination signal to the process "explorer.exe" using taskkill /IM explorer.exe, that didn't do anything

Zefir Zdravkov, Apr 30, 2020
  3. Task Bar, Task manager and apps, all not responding, Windows 10

step 1 worked a dream. Had earlier tried everything suggested in these forums. nothing had worked to solve the problem. The media creation tool as suggested in step 1 did the trick. - it took several hours, but worth it.

ps. original complaint - non responding - and task manager - blank or useless.

Harry Thompson 966, Apr 30, 2020
  4. Xylee Del Win User

windows explorer

Hi,

This issue may have occurred due to a software conflict. We suggest that you follow the steps below on how to refresh the Windows Explorer to correct this issue:

• While your Windows Explorer is open, right click on the Windows icon
      and select Task Manager.
    • On the task Manager window, under the Processes tab, look for
      Windows Explorer.
    • Highlight Windows Explorer and click Restart at the bottom right corner of the Task Manager window.
    • The Windows Explorer will close automatically. Close the Task Manager. Open the Windows Explorer and check if the issue is gone.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Explorer not responding, Task Manager not opening - Similar Threads - Explorer responding Task

2. Task manager keeps "not responding"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager keeps "not responding": Hi! This problem only occurred today. Clicking the "x" button on my task manager causes it to freeze and "not respond". I have researched about similar problems and solutions including running the cmd and even checking for updates and rebooting my computer like a million...
  3. Task manager keeps "not responding"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager keeps "not responding": Hi! This problem only occurred today. Clicking the "x" button on my task manager causes it to freeze and "not respond". I have researched about similar problems and solutions including running the cmd and even checking for updates and rebooting my computer like a million...
  4. Task Manager Not Responding.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager Not Responding.: Adobe Support were unable to complete their work because Task Manager on Windows 11 kept giving error message "Task Manager Not Responding" and then hanging. Eventually contacted MS Support suggested I try a work around -"Perform SFC Scan & Repair Windows Image" but this...
  5. Task Manager Not Responding.

Task Manager Not Responding.: Adobe Support were unable to complete their work because Task Manager on Windows 11 kept giving error message "Task Manager Not Responding" and then hanging. Eventually contacted MS Support suggested I try a work around -"Perform SFC Scan & Repair Windows Image" but this...
  6. task manager not responding

task manager not responding: is it normal to have task manager not responding i am using windows since the old age of win 3.1 this is first time i have seen this error. 166423
  7. File Explorer Not Responding --> Desktop Background Crashes --> Cannot Force Open Task Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Not Responding --> Desktop Background Crashes --> Cannot Force Open Task Manager: Hello! I have recently been experiencing a very frustrating problem. I have to use File Explorer extensively for my job, and I often have to move files around between folders via my workplace's Google File Stream cloud. Recently, there have been times where I open a folder...
  8. Explorer and Task Manager do not respond

Explorer and Task Manager do not respond: This is a random bug that occurred when I did the following: 1. Request to "save as" a file using Google Chrome 2. Explorer window to select destination never opened 3. Tried to open Task Manager and restart Explorer, Task Manager opened and stopped responding nothing ever...
  9. Task Manager and File Explorer won't open

Task Manager and File Explorer won't open: The OS is WIndows 10. Getting some issues trying to open the File Explorer. Other applications will open normally, but File Explorer won't open. I attempted to open Task Manager, first via ctrl+alt+del, then via Run. Neither method would allow the Task Manager to actually...
  10. No "Not responding" status in task Manager?

in Windows 10 Support
    No "Not responding" status in task Manager?: I am trying to figure out if apps are frozen are simply still processing information in Win 10. In Win 7 I would go to the task manger and see a "Not Responding" in the status field to let me know if there is a problem, but I don't have that option in Win 10. I can only see...