Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

Discus and support Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kd833, Oct 20, 2014.

1. kd833 Win User

I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified Explorer's view options to not display thumbnails or icons of the files. But that had no effect. Is it that Explorer is attempting to read the content of these exe files to display the embedded images regardless of how I configure Explorer to operate? Is there anything that can be done to make Explorer display these files faster?

:)

kd833, Oct 20, 2014
  2. Mark the Engineer Win User

Windows 10 Crash: Explorer.exe not responding and SearchUI and Shell Experience Host suspended

"Explorer. exe is Not Responding and SearchUI and SellExperienceHost are Suspended."

I had the same thing this morning, couldn't open files, drag and drop, to any folder in explorer. Rebooted (and it was a long reboot) and it fixed itself.

Mark the Engineer, Oct 20, 2014
  3. VivaswanChandraShekar Win User
    .exe files not opening

.exe files don't open. If I open them from firefox, firefox freezes and does not respond. If I open them from Downloads folder, File Explorer freezes and does not respond. The .exe file does not open no matter how long I wait. I thought it was an association
    error, but I checked with regedit (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe), it seems to be fine. Please help. I am not able to install anything!

Also, when I try to run "sfc /scannow" in command prompt, it says "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc repair". But even after multiple reboots, the same message is shown.

VivaswanChandraShekar, Oct 20, 2014
Thema:

Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file - Similar Threads - Explorer responding opening

1. Not Responding in Internet Explorer 11.

in Windows 10 Support
    Not Responding in Internet Explorer 11.: Windows 10, IE 11...desktop on a good WiFi connection. Since the Anniversary Windows update IE 11 is now plagued with 'Not Responding' reports on all websites/forums. Sometimes a click of the back button restores things and sometimes I have to come off the internet and...
  2. windows explorer keeps showing not responding

in Windows 10 Support
    windows explorer keeps showing not responding: Hello, As titled, windows explorer keeps on saying that it is not responding, at first it was the odd time, know it very frequent , it reboots itself and then it's ok for a little while then it comes up with not responding, It is starting to get very annoying. Does...
  3. Windows Explorer Stops Responding on Certain Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Stops Responding on Certain Folder: Hello. Recently, I had two instances when Windows Explorer stopped responding when I tried to access a folder. The first time, it seemed to focus on two video files and when I deleted the files, the folder was fine. The next time, I could not access the folder. I could access...
  4. Is "file explorer not responding" connected to Event viewer errors?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is "file explorer not responding" connected to Event viewer errors?: TLDR: The "Microsoft Windows, the application is not responding. The program may respond again if you wait" causes the critical event viewer logs. How does one fix this issue and what is the cause? I was playing BF1 and tabbed out, like I always do and it recieved the...
  5. Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders: IIRC this is an old bug but I can't remember what the solution is, basically I download a bunch of video files (TS or MKV primarily) and then drag them into a folder where I have a muxing bat file, for some reason explorer is hanging/not responding on certain files since...
  6. 10/64 Home Windows Explorer not responding

in Windows 10 Support
    10/64 Home Windows Explorer not responding: System upgraded from 8.1 to 10 within the last month, was working okay but in the last few days we have had problems, very slow, and explorer not responding. Also couldn't open Chrome. Using the task manager processes we closed windows explorer, and restarted it as a new...
  7. Windows file explorer has stopped responding

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows file explorer has stopped responding: Hello all, I will be marking this as solved. The steps that I have taken is removing the file explorer Icon adding a shortcut to my documents. This will stop the library from checking for the external drive that is constantly causing this problem. -Hayden
Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file solved