Windows 10: Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

Discus and support Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kd833, Oct 20, 2014.

1. kd833 Win User

Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified Explorer's view options to not display thumbnails or icons of the files. But that had no effect. Is it that Explorer is attempting to read the content of these exe files to display the embedded images regardless of how I configure Explorer to operate? Is there anything that can be done to make Explorer display these files faster?

:)

kd833, Oct 20, 2014
  2. Mark the Engineer Win User

Windows 10 Crash: Explorer.exe not responding and SearchUI and Shell Experience Host suspended

"Explorer. exe is Not Responding and SearchUI and SellExperienceHost are Suspended."

I had the same thing this morning, couldn't open files, drag and drop, to any folder in explorer. Rebooted (and it was a long reboot) and it fixed itself.

Mark the Engineer, Oct 20, 2014
  3. VivaswanChandraShekar Win User
    .exe files not opening

.exe files don't open. If I open them from firefox, firefox freezes and does not respond. If I open them from Downloads folder, File Explorer freezes and does not respond. The .exe file does not open no matter how long I wait. I thought it was an association
    error, but I checked with regedit (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe), it seems to be fine. Please help. I am not able to install anything!

Also, when I try to run "sfc /scannow" in command prompt, it says "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc repair". But even after multiple reboots, the same message is shown.

VivaswanChandraShekar, Oct 20, 2014
Thema:

Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

1. Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file - Similar Threads - Explorer responding opening

2. Can't open File .exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open File .exe: I can't open the Alienwarecommandcenter.exe and Alienware OC.exe. When I try to open the file, the administrators appear, I click ok but then the install file becomes white i've tried to run sfc scan but it told me that my computer don't have any problems. everything is Ok....
  3. Cannot open. exe files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot open. exe files: When I am trying to open . exe file I am getting a message "The system cannot find the file specified " https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/cannot-open-exe-files/b3c0e678-448b-473e-8c29-6a0cc1961698
  4. File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Opening Folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Opening Folders: I have 2 Windows 10 pc's, Windows 1709 ( OS Build 16299.125,both up to date. One of them has just developed a problem with File Explorer being very slow opening folders after the first one has been opened. If I open Documents, on the first try, it opens immediately, but...
  5. File explorer slow in opening folder with shortcuts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer slow in opening folder with shortcuts: Recently a change occured (after an update?). I have a folder containing only 6 shortcuts, linking to devices or to drives, connected to devices, in my home network. Opening this folder takes about 30 sec. It has to do with those shortcuts that link to drives, connected to...
  6. Certain .exe files will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Certain .exe files will not open: Hello! I have a slightly odd problem. Certain .exe files (seemingly ones that don't require an install to run) on my laptop refuse to open, responding to different commands in different ways. When I first run them, I get a SmartScreen Filter alert. After pressing 'Run...
  7. Startup opening infinite file explorer folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup opening infinite file explorer folders: If you can navigate the computer in Windows, Go to Settings/Update and Security/Recovery/Advance Startup/Restart Now. Try to restart in Safe Mode. You can also try to do a System Restore to a time before this happened. If you can't navigate the computer in Windows, do you...
  8. File explorer will not open when set to This PC

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer will not open when set to This PC: Either from a shortcut or a taskbar icon, File Explorer will not open to This PC. When I change to Quick access it opens. A shortcut to any folder will open to This PC. I suspect this has to do with a recent update (KB3140741). I can live with the situation as I normally use...
  9. Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders: Since a couple of weeks when I open a file or folder in my Windows Explorer i see for maybe a couple of seconds a wristwatch pointer appearing and disappearing before opening that file or folder. Not a big deal but annoying. Can anyone help me please? 103092
  10. Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders: IIRC this is an old bug but I can't remember what the solution is, basically I download a bunch of video files (TS or MKV primarily) and then drag them into a folder where I have a muxing bat file, for some reason explorer is hanging/not responding on certain files since...