Windows 10: Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

Discus and support Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kd833, Oct 20, 2014.

1. kd833 Win User

Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified Explorer's view options to not display thumbnails or icons of the files. But that had no effect. Is it that Explorer is attempting to read the content of these exe files to display the embedded images regardless of how I configure Explorer to operate? Is there anything that can be done to make Explorer display these files faster?

:)

kd833, Oct 20, 2014

2. Windows 10 Crash: Explorer.exe not responding and SearchUI and Shell Experience Host suspended

"Explorer. exe is Not Responding and SearchUI and SellExperienceHost are Suspended."

I had the same thing this morning, couldn't open files, drag and drop, to any folder in explorer. Rebooted (and it was a long reboot) and it fixed itself.

Mark the Engineer, Oct 20, 2014
  3. .exe files not opening

.exe files don't open. If I open them from firefox, firefox freezes and does not respond. If I open them from Downloads folder, File Explorer freezes and does not respond. The .exe file does not open no matter how long I wait. I thought it was an association
    error, but I checked with regedit (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe), it seems to be fine. Please help. I am not able to install anything!

Also, when I try to run "sfc /scannow" in command prompt, it says "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc repair". But even after multiple reboots, the same message is shown.

VivaswanChandraShekar, Oct 20, 2014
Thema:

Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

1. Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file - Similar Threads - Explorer responding opening

2. Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.: When I try to open any folder in File Explorer, it causes it to freeze and do nothing. I usually have to close it using Task Manager. This is a new issue....
  3. Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.: When I try to open any folder in File Explorer, it causes it to freeze and do nothing. I usually have to close it using Task Manager. This is a new issue....
  4. Windows File Explorer not responding when opening folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer not responding when opening folders.: Hello,recently last few days I've been having problems with the windows file explorer:1. In the overview on the left hand side a lot of elements don't have icons only the icon for generic files is being displayed.2. Whenever I try opening a folder the explorer stops...
  5. Windows File Explorer not responding when opening folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer not responding when opening folders.: Hello,recently last few days I've been having problems with the windows file explorer:1. In the overview on the left hand side a lot of elements don't have icons only the icon for generic files is being displayed.2. Whenever I try opening a folder the explorer stops...
  6. File explorer issue when opening a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer issue when opening a folder: This is driving me mad. I have a folder within my Pictures folder named Funny. I save all kinds of funny pics and videos in there. The issue: When I open the Funny folder, it always defaults to a view of the middle section of the files, then after a second or so, it goes to...
  7. File Explorer stops responding when i select/try to open/right click .exe Files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer stops responding when i select/try to open/right click .exe Files.: Hello, recently when i try to select/right click/try to open .exe files the Windows loading cursor appears and windows explorer stops responding, sometimes i can just close it by hovering over explorer and press the X and close it, sometimes i have to open taskmgr and end...
  8. File Explorer "not responding" when I try to open an Office file

File Explorer "not responding" when I try to open an Office file: I am unable to open any Office files from File Explorer. I can open them if I am within the applications itself, but not directly from the explorer. I am able to open non-Office related files such as Adobe PDFs, etc.. When I do try to open an office file it will show "not...
  9. File explorer not responding when I open a specific folder

File explorer not responding when I open a specific folder: Hi, My file explore kept crashing when I try to open the download folder. No access issue with other folders, so I'm not sure what is going on. Thanks for the help....
  10. Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders: IIRC this is an old bug but I can't remember what the solution is, basically I download a bunch of video files (TS or MKV primarily) and then drag them into a folder where I have a muxing bat file, for some reason explorer is hanging/not responding on certain files since...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows wont open exe file or drag and drop 2019