Windows 10: explorer not starting after 20h2

Discus and support explorer not starting after 20h2 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; hello everyone, so i cant start explorer after latest update, but i can start apps using task manager, but i cant start explorer, i tried turning off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ender1355, Jan 14, 2021.

1. ender1355 Win User

explorer not starting after 20h2

hello everyone,

so i cant start explorer after latest update, but i can start apps using task manager, but i cant start explorer, i tried turning off explorer and on with task manager, still same, can someone tell me how to fix it?

:)

ender1355, Jan 14, 2021
  2. Drew1903 Win User

Have New 20H2 Start (NOW)

The 20H2 Start Menu can be 'released' from within 20H1.

You will, still, do 20H2 via WU in October, BUT can have the new 20H2 Start Menu, now by doing the following:

1. Open up Notepad.
    2. Paste the following text:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides\0\2093230218]

"EnabledState"=dword:00000002

"EnabledStateOptions"=dword:00000000

3. Save the file as 'Start Menu.reg'.
    4. Run the file.
    5. Reboot

explorer not starting after 20h2 53142dcc-6dd4-4afd-9221-e0a28bfdd328?upload=true.jpg

now and, still, OS Build 19041.508

Cheers,

Drew

explorer not starting after 20h2 101ca3b6-ebd9-4c80-b925-776d208b62eb?upload=true.jpg

Drew1903, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Windows 20H2 Domain Join breaks Start Menu

Upon doing a recovery of a system to start with a clean slate, it now installs 20H2. All looks good. Start menu and taskbar look normal.

We then join it to our domain. Upon reboot, the start menu will not show the applications list. No option to expose it. Start menu settings shows "Show app list in start menu" greyed out. Trying to log out shows as the only option "Change Account Settings"
    Right clicking on taskbar, the task manager is greyed out. We checked the GPO for the start menu app list removal and it is listed as "not configured". Tried setting the local policy to different settings with no effect.

Read thru the event viewer and nothing jumped out as related.

All very strange. We are a hospital that has been running this AD schema for a number of years. It is based on Windows Server 2012 R2. We have over 250 systems with multiple levels of windows 10 Pro systems in production, with none of them showing these
    behaviors. At this point, 20H2 is unusable for us.

JohnWilliamsCCH, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

1. explorer not starting after 20h2 - Similar Threads - explorer starting 20h2

2. Windows Explorer Search Massively slow after updating to 20H2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Search Massively slow after updating to 20H2: I have a problem with windows explorer after updating my PC to 20H2 When I search using the search box it requires a lot of time to get the result or even sometimes it doesn't show anything at all Tried to rebuild the windows search indexing but it didn't work nor windows...
  3. Why is fresh start disabled after 20H2 update?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why is fresh start disabled after 20H2 update?: I haven't even tried the fresh start. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-fresh-start-disabled-after-20h2-update/29b38a56-cf92-4008-aed3-dad936ed4337
  4. Windows explorer corrupt fonts on boot after update to 20H2.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows explorer corrupt fonts on boot after update to 20H2.: [ATTACH] I get this weird bug, about 50% of the time on boot, where all my fonts on Explorer are rendering with the wrong "something". sfc /scannow reports nothing is wrong. the various dism scans don't help either. sometimes it's only the clock in the tray, not the...
  5. start icons lost bg color after 20H2, why?

start icons lost bg color after 20H2, why?: [ATTACH] The heck, all my icons lost background color after 20H2 update, why do would you do this windows why? Is there anyway I can fix this locally? The heck, all my icons lost background color after 20H2 update, why do would you do this windows why? Is there anyway...
  6. Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update: Since the release of the update, I have been running 20H2 on my laptop however as of yesterday Windows Explorer kinda broke The issues I have are the following: Names of files, folders, and names of tools not showing as well as shortcuts Application files not opening...
  7. Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update: Since the release of the update, I have been running 20H2 on my laptop however as of yesterday Windows Explorer kinda broke The issues I have are the following: Names of files, folders, and names of tools not showing as well as shortcuts Application files not opening...
  8. 20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer: I had a file on my desktop and I renamed it. I then restarted file explorer and it moves the renamed file and adds a generic looking shortcut. I restarted explorer again and it shows the Microsoft Edge icon on the shortcut which I had deleted a couple of days ago and...
  9. My Start Menu Before and After Updating to 20H2

My Start Menu Before and After Updating to 20H2: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/parvinderandroid [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jftr37/my_start_menu_before_and_after_updating_to_20h2/
  10. Start menu not appearing after update + Explorer not starting

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not appearing after update + Explorer not starting: I'm on Win 10 Pro-64 bits (10.0, Build 17134) A few months ago, my Explorer (i.e. desktop) stopped starting automatically when booting Windows. I tried all I could find on the Web to fix, but I gave up as nothing proposed worked. So when I log in, I manually start the Task...