Windows 10: Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders

Discus and support Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So i've spent a loooooong portion of my windows tenure with jumplists & recents turned off. no use for them. decided to give them a try and finding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by klepp0906, Jul 24, 2021.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders

So i've spent a loooooong portion of my windows tenure with jumplists & recents turned off. no use for them. decided to give them a try and finding some functionality broken/not working. I can get both quick access and the taskbar jumplist to populate with recents but evidently quick access should be populating with frequent folders, not recent based on my bone stock windows 10 vm as shown here I have the settings enabled afaik and have both cleared and restored defaults there. There's either another requirement thats toggle'able at the system level somewhere, or there was some registry modification done at some point to change the behavior which ive lost track of over time. anyone have anything for me on this one?

:)

klepp0906, Jul 24, 2021
  2. Mark Ole Win User

Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Jul 24, 2021
  3. Edwin Win User
    Windows Explorer's Jumplist reads "frequent" but shows recent

Within one hour, with these enabled...

Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders [​IMG]

... I have 20 'Frequent Folders' and 5 'Recent Files' listed in Quick Access,

but only 1 'Frequent' entry in Taskbar jump list..., which is not even listed in Quick Access! *Confused

Edwin, Jul 24, 2021
  4. Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders

Quick Access Not Working

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Follow the below steps to repair the broken database of Quick Access.

Method 1:

Before repairing the database, try to disable and then re-enable Quick Access to see if it helps. To disable and re-enable Quick Access, follow the below steps:

Step 1: To remove frequent folders and recent files list from Quick Access, open File Explorer > click on View tab in Ribbon >
    click on Options > Change folder and search options to open Folder Options.

Step 2: You’ll have to uncheck the following two check-boxes present under the Privacy section to disable Quick Access:

• Show recently used files in Quick Access.
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access.

Step 3: Click Apply and Exit. The action will instantly remove these two sections from Quick Access in File Explorer. (To clear your Quick Access history press the ‘Clear’ button against Clear File Explorer History).

Step 4: Then, check
    the following two check-boxes again to enable Quick Access that you did in
    Step2.

• Show recently used files in Quick Access.
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access.

Step 5: Restart the PC once and check the issue and if the issue persist, follow the
    Method 2.

Method 2:

The Method 2 will repair the broken database of Quick Access.

Step 1: Open File Explorer and paste this folder path: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations in the address bar and hit Enter.

Step 2: Once the folder is opened, press ‘Ctrl’ key and the ‘A’ from your keyboard to select all of its contents and delete it.

Step 3: Do the same for this folder path as well: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

Step 4: Restart the PC once and check the issue.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq Ali Khan

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Shafeeq_Khan, Jul 24, 2021
Thema:

Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders

1. Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders - Similar Threads - Explorer Quick access

2. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: The files do not show in quick access! whatever I try to go back to normal, it fails : Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthand press Enter. Restart the PC. ---> does not work. Whether I click or use "defaut parameters" the ticK will disappear...
  3. Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access

Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access: Normally in Windows 10, frequently-accessed folders will show up under the pinned ones in Quick Access, like this not actually my PC, just an example [ATTACH] Mine, on the other hand, is missing the frequently used folders from both the pane and the full view. Like this:...
  4. Non-pinned frequent folders not showing up in Quick Access

Non-pinned frequent folders not showing up in Quick Access: Normally in Windows 10, frequently-viewed folders will show up under the pinned ones in Quick Access, like this not actually my PC, just an example [ATTACH] Mine, on the other hand, is missing the frequently used folders from both the pane and the full view. Like this...
  5. Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access

Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access: Normally in Windows 10, frequently-viewed folders will show up under the pinned ones in Quick Access, like this not actually my PC, just an example [ATTACH] Mine, on the other hand, is missing the frequently used folders from both the pane and the full view. Like this...
  6. Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access: Ok, this is driving me mad. Until recently there was a fantastic feature in Windows called Recent Places (or something like that). It's no longer available and this must cost me 5 minutes per hour (for which I will invoice Microsoft.) Now there is the Quick Access menu,...
  7. recent files and folders, quick access

recent files and folders, quick access: hello all, just wondering if this is a setting that i have missed. but i really like the recent files and folders feature, I.E; recent files opened are displayed when right clicking Adobe PDF, Word, Excel, ect ect on task-bar and also recent folders shown by right...
  8. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: Hello after recent problems with my windows updates my qucik access got all weird. My recently opened/frequently used files or not showing on the left side unless pinned (which I don't want to do with some). I do have activated the "show recent files" as you can see in my...
  9. Win 10 Quick Access mixes frequent folders and recent files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Quick Access mixes frequent folders and recent files: Hello, I've learned to like the "Quick Access" feature of Win 10. Recently it has shown a strange trait. That is, instead of listing my "frequent folders" in a list in a pane at the top of the window and "recent files" in a pane at the bottom at the bottom of the window...
  10. File Explorer - Quick Access Does Not Show Recent Files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Quick Access Does Not Show Recent Files: For some strange reasons, File Explorer no longer shows the Recent files. Is there any way to fix this?*Rolleyes 58261

Users found this page by searching for:

1. quick access on file.explorer.only displays recent files open

2. reappear folder in frequent folders