Windows 10: Explorer re-enters search mode all by itself

Discus and support Explorer re-enters search mode all by itself in Cortana to solve the problem; There is a strange bug I experience on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 v. 19042.804 KB4601319. Please note that I haven't modified the system in any way,... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Stallmann2, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Explorer re-enters search mode all by itself

There is a strange bug I experience on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 v. 19042.804 KB4601319. Please note that I haven't modified the system in any way, the bug is there from the very start. The bug may have been there ever since the first Windows release 1909. This is how you can reproduce the bug:

- Install the Windows version I mentioned above

- Enable the built-in Administrator account

- Log out and log in as Administrator

Alternatively, change:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

"EnableLUA" to 0 on any different account and reboot the system.

- Do a file search using the search box in File Explorer.

- When the results are displayed, exit the search by rightclicking any file listed in the search results and selection the option "Open file location" in the context menu.

- Minimise the explorer window to the taskbar or modify its size in any way e.g., maximizing it if it's not maximized or the other way around.

What now happens is explorer will re-do the search all by itself! If you exit the search by hitting the back button, then change the window size again or minimise the window to the taskbar, explorer will re-do the search. The only way to prevent it from doing this is to focus the search box after exiting the search, so:

- Do a file search

- Click "Open file location"

- Hit CTRL + F on the keyboard on click inside the search box.

This last step is very annoying as I have to do it every time I exit a search.

Alternatively, this bug can be reproduced like this:

- Do a file search

- Make the search box lose focus by clicking somewhere inside the explorer window but outside the search box

- Click the "Back" button on explorer to exit the search

- Minimise the window to the taskbar or change its size.

Again, Explorer re-enters the search mode automatically!

This bug wasn't present on my previous system Windows 10 LTSB LTSC release 10.0.10240 original release.

It is very strange I am the only one who noticed this bug. This must be reproducible on any Windows system, so all versions since release 1909 are probably affected.

Unfortunately, leaving UAC enabled is not an option for me.

I don't know how to report bugs to Microsoft, and using that Feedback hub app is not an option. If somebody has access to this Feedback app or has some other way of contacting Microsoft, please submit a ticket.

:)

Stallmann2, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

Explorer re-enters search mode all by itself

1. Explorer re-enters search mode all by itself - Similar Threads - Explorer enters search

2. Computer turns on by itself immediately after entering hibernation/sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer turns on by itself immediately after entering hibernation/sleep mode.: Yes I know this has been asked a thousand times, but unfortunately non of the guides have helped in any way, as they all provide the same useless information.First off, I've already turned off all waketimers, made it so that nothing but the mouse can wake up the pc, I even...
  3. Computer turns on by itself immediately after entering hibernation/sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer turns on by itself immediately after entering hibernation/sleep mode.: Yes I know this has been asked a thousand times, but unfortunately non of the guides have helped in any way, as they all provide the same useless information.First off, I've already turned off all waketimers, made it so that nothing but the mouse can wake up the pc, I even...
  4. Computer turns on by itself immediately after entering hibernation/sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.: Hi team, I have the below issue which is exclusive to Windows File Explorer only:Whenever I need to search for a file or text in a document/folder I use CTRL + F, type the text/file name and press the enter key to execute the search.This chain of commands works in all...
  6. "Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode" keeps re-enabling itself.

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode" keeps re-enabling itself.: Hello, I was wondering if there was any fix to this issue? This has never happened to any computer I've owned before and it only started happening today. I've tried everything I could to stop this from happening, but nothing has been a solution....
  7. Cannot Enter in Windows Search or File Explorer Search

in Cortana
    Cannot Enter in Windows Search or File Explorer Search: I've looked at so many sets of instructions about how to re-enable the search fields in Windows 10 Search and File Explorer. The most useful looking one said to uninstall "Update for Microsoft Windows KB4551762" and gave great directions--almost. That update isn't listed in...
  8. Can’t enter into safe mode at all

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t enter into safe mode at all: My computer was stuck with the black screen & round loading circle… some posts were suggesting how to get out of it was to put the computer into safe mode with networking. However my computer won’t go into any safe mode that I put in, it just loads a black screen. What do I...
  9. Need to hit enter to search in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need to hit enter to search in explorer: So I am having a problem with windows search. It works fine, except that I need to hit enter before it will execute the search. Has anyone seen this issue before? Windows 10 Pro, 1909, Build 18363.900 I have a different PC, Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB 1607, Build...
  10. Password re-entering

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password re-entering: Hii, I'm daily notified for re-entering my password. But I not changed my password. What must to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-re-entering/aa1ebdb5-d170-4d9c-8c4a-fa7e9e25e0be"