Windows 10: Explorer refuses to open from taskbar and random square on desktop

Discus and support Explorer refuses to open from taskbar and random square on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've been experiencing some bugs with Windows 10, I tried restarting it but the problem still remains. There's this weird app that's making... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeTheBlueFox, May 19, 2016.

1. Explorer refuses to open from taskbar and random square on desktop

Hello, I've been experiencing some bugs with Windows 10, I tried restarting it but the problem still remains.

There's this weird app that's making this square thing show up on my desktop, I've disabled all the possible apps at startup that could cause this issue but the issue still remains, is there any better way of figuring out what's going on? Like some sort of way to see what's drawing that square on there?

Also, about the explorer issue, I don't know what caused that to happen, I just started up my computer and it was like that out of the blue. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

I've made a video about it which can be found here:

[youtube]wqCpLvyV3e4[/youtube]

:)

MikeTheBlueFox, May 19, 2016

2. file explore will not stay open

On my HP desktop, file explorer will not stay open from the taskbar. It quickly opens and closes. After several attempts it sometimes will remain open.

JamesMagnuson, May 19, 2016
  3. Why does the taskbar at times not appear?

Occasionally the taskbar refuses to come out of hiding. This often - but not always - happens if I have
    Paint or File Explorer open but also can happen when a
    Word document is open. (Not always the same document and, if I have other documents open, they will not cause the taskbar to refuse to appear.) I can get to the taskbar by minimizing the offending program, app, document, whatever, but I will
    have to do this until I completely close whatever is hanging up the taskbar.

My question is why does this happen, and can I fix it without resorting to closing whatever is bothering the taskbar?

Sandra Buskey, May 19, 2016
  4. Fabler Win User

Explorer refuses to open from taskbar and random square on desktop

First off I would download process explorer from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...sexplorer.aspx . From the first image in the link you can see a 'target' icon on the second toolbar. Drag this over the blank square and it should give you the information on what program is causing the issue. As for an inactivated OS and still running, that may be another issue.

Fabler, May 19, 2016
Thema:

Explorer refuses to open from taskbar and random square on desktop

1. Explorer refuses to open from taskbar and random square on desktop - Similar Threads - Explorer refuses open

2. Taskbar Refuses To Hide

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Refuses To Hide: I cannot see the bottom of my applications because my taskbar isn't hiding. I have checked everything, my notifications are off, I have it set to auto-hide, and many other things, but it just won't hide. I am running Windows 11 Home Version 22H2. Please help, I am unable to...
  3. Desktop & taskbar randomly refreshes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop & taskbar randomly refreshes: Started to notice it around a year ago. Randomly my desktop keep refreshing itself and while im browsing sometimes i can see Chrome icon on my taskbar blink (like it got unselected for a split second). I did 2 reinstall since it started and it keeps returning. submitted by...
  4. SQUARE ON TASKBAR

in Windows 10 Customization
    SQUARE ON TASKBAR: Why is the 'Square' on bottom LHS of Taskbar showing as BLACK instead of White? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/square-on-taskbar/71e53a2b-5f44-4d4c-a5be-76790bf46a15
  5. Red square on desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Red square on desktop: So yeah, I'm having a bit of a problem Theres this red square that has appeared on my desktop Can anyone help me fix it, it sometimes goes away when i go fullscreen on fx. YouTube It's not a problem with the screen, as it happened with both my screens at once. Also the...
  6. explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut: Whenever I try to open File Explorer from Start, Taskbar or a Desktop Shortcut, it will either: 1. Not Open but run in the background as I checked in Task Manager 2. Give me an error box saying: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this...
  7. File Explorer opens randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer opens randomly: Hi, I have a problem and is that yesterday my pc was lagging because I had a 3d rendering software eating all the RAM, so all the other tasks suffer lagging as a consequence, so I decided to close everything except task manager and the program. When it finished, I used the...
  8. File Explorer Refuses to Open on My PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Refuses to Open on My PC: File Explorer will refuse to open on my PC. when I double click on the icon in my taskbar and start menu, the screen will go black for a second (excluding taskbar) and nothing else will happen....
  9. Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop: I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and have had nothing but problems. The biggest one is the fact that I cannot open the start menu, I had worked around it by right clicking it and then selecting what I needed from there. However now that doesn't even work. Any help...
  10. Open Settings Icon A Black Square in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Open Settings Icon A Black Square in Windows Explorer: [img] I'm getting a black square in windows explorer... I however know why it is like that just don't know a real fix for it. I have an UHD Monitor on my Laptop with Resolution of 3840x2160, so most things are small... I changed the custom scaling to 250% which makes...