Windows 10: Explorer Saved Search no longer allows launching executable files.

Discus and support Explorer Saved Search no longer allows launching executable files. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When you create a saved search result in Explorer that contains executable files you can no longer launch the application from the saved search. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Leo Violette, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Explorer Saved Search no longer allows launching executable files.

When you create a saved search result in Explorer that contains executable files you can no longer launch the application from the saved search.

This used to work and I used it extensively in Windows 10 until around the time frame that Windows 10 2004 came out. Not sure if that's when it stopped working, but once it did, it also no longer works on prior Windows 10 versions tested on 1809, 1903 and 1909.

So maybe it was an update/patch.

To reproduce I'll use SysInternals for this example:

Download SysInternals Suite from here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/

Go to your downloads folder where it was created and extract it to it's own folder.

You should now have a SysinternalsSuite folder probably under your downloads folder.

Go to that folder and in the search bar type "ext:exe" to limit the results to only executables.

Confirm that you can launch an executable DbgView64.exe is a good example.

Now, save the search result by clicking on the "Search" tab in Explorer and choosing "Save Search".

I called my "SysInternalsExes".

Now explorer refreshes with that saved search result active.

Attempt to launch dbgview64.exe now.

Explorer Saved Search no longer allows launching executable files. 3bf2a3cd-c8b3-4f82-8bf4-030c67a1f80b?upload=true.jpg

It won't run.

You can go back to this search again by navigating to your user folder and going into Searches.

:)

Leo Violette, Oct 24, 2020

2. Windows 10 File Explorer no longer shows Search ribbon during search

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing with the file explorer search ribbon. This is really unusual, as we have tried to reproduce the issue but was not able to get anything. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply
    with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

However, we would suggest you to perform these methods and let us know the outcome.

Method 1: Reset file explorer to default.

1. Open file explore and select on View tab from the top ribbon.
    2. Click on Option and select Change folder and search option.
    3. In the new window select the view tab and click on Restore Default tab below
    4. Click OK and re-launch file explorer.

Method 2: New user account

Check in new user account. Follow the steps from the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account and check if you are facing the same issue with the file explorer.

We await your response,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 24, 2020
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Explorer Saved Search no longer allows launching executable files.

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

Explorer Saved Search no longer allows launching executable files.

1. Explorer Saved Search no longer allows launching executable files. - Similar Threads - Explorer Saved Search

2. Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.: Hi team, I have the below issue which is exclusive to Windows File Explorer only:Whenever I need to search for a file or text in a document/folder I use CTRL + F, type the text/file name and press the enter key to execute the search.This chain of commands works in all...
  3. Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.: Hi team, I have the below issue which is exclusive to Windows File Explorer only:Whenever I need to search for a file or text in a document/folder I use CTRL + F, type the text/file name and press the enter key to execute the search.This chain of commands works in all...
  4. File Explorer No Longer Auto-Searching

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer No Longer Auto-Searching: Before my computer was forced to update (after being spammed every hour to update), I could type anything to the search bar of file explorer and it would begin searching. Now, instead, I have to press enter or click the search button for the search to begin. Is this a bug...
  5. Microsoft Explorer - Saved searches - problem accessing files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Explorer - Saved searches - problem accessing files: Hi, I have an issue in Microsoft Explorer. In Quick Access I save frequently used search queries under "saved searches". The saved searches works without problem e.g. it displays a series of pdf-files in a series of folders ranked by of creation, but when I click on each...
  6. Windows File Explorer Saved Searches

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows File Explorer Saved Searches: I do a "Save Search" in the Windows File Explorer. For example, "comments:2017" displays all of my files with 2017 in the Comments metadata field I've added prior. I have my current default view layout as "Details" when all the 2017 files are displayed. But when I do a Save...
  7. Question regarding saved searches in File Explorer

Question regarding saved searches in File Explorer: When I perform a search in File Explorer such as the one below, there is a "Search Tools" tab displayed. Then I save the search. ext:.mp4 OR .mov, modified:2/1/2015 .. 2/28/2015 Now when I double click on the saved search, it finds the same files, but there is no "Search...
  8. File Explorer search does not execute

File Explorer search does not execute: A relative simple search such as: type:xlsx datemodified:last month type:xlsx datemodified:last month Does not execute. Please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-does-not-execute/3cb7f4ef-980f-454f-9297-56048daa35ee"
  9. File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

File Explorer will no longer search for words in files: I had automatic updates on, but clearly the computer didn't automatically update. File explorer is no longer finding words in files. I've processed all the updates from January to now, but File Explorer search is still broken. I really need that search to work to be able to...
  10. Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search: What I'd like to find is a way to have a searchbox on the Taskbar that launches Windows Search, not the new Windows search. I'm pretty sure it's just a different GUID or namespace. This will do for now though. From the SevenForums (SF) Tutorial section Search Shortcut -...