Windows 10: Explorer search not starting on it's own.

Discus and support Explorer search not starting on it's own. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; After updating Windows I discovered that typing into the search bar will not automatically start the search anymore. Now it requires a hit of the enter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Michkov, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Explorer search not starting on it's own.

After updating Windows I discovered that typing into the search bar will not automatically start the search anymore. Now it requires a hit of the enter key. In return I seem to have got thumbnails in the search dropdown menu. Which is the most pointless waste of processing power I've seen in a long time.

I'd like to change the behaviour back to the old way where I could quickly search through a list of items without ever hitting enter.

PS: Also the whole area, address and search bar appear too high from the previous version. It's not the font size that changed it's just extra blank space. I'd like to put that to more productive use like displaying files

submitted by /u/Michkov
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Michkov, Dec 3, 2020

2. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 3, 2020
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Explorer search not starting on it's own.

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

Explorer search not starting on it's own.

1. Explorer search not starting on it's own. - Similar Threads - Explorer search starting

2. Can't search in start menu, settings, or file explorer

in Cortana
    Can't search in start menu, settings, or file explorer: Hi, I'm unable to search my computer files when I press the windows key and type, like I usually do. Even when I right click the windows icon in the bottom right corner and click search, nothing shows up on screen when I type on my keyboard. Additionally, when I go into the...
  3. Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...: I have an unusual issue where I cannot type anything into Windows search boxes. Specifically the built in 'Search' in the explorer windows, and the 'Start' menu search doesn't show when typing. However I can search in the Control Panel. Also, to confound this issue further...
  4. Windows 10 own search

in Cortana
    Windows 10 own search: My desktop PC Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, 20H2, 12/14/2020, 19042.685, i5-6600, 16GB The situation: So I managed to set the search engine to my liking in all the obvious places, however Microsoft itself is invoking Bing outside of my control in two places: 1 The looking...
  5. Search for your own question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Search for your own question: How/where can one search for ones own question. I asked why my Office 7 can not open networked files since the last Windows update. I keep getting emails from this site that my question has been answered.. but the link goes to the thread I guess but to find my question...
  6. Explorer search not starting automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer search not starting automatically: Over the last update one of the settings must have been changed because ever since then searching in the file explorer has become much clunkier than it used to be. It used to be that as soon as I started typing in the search bar the explorer would initiate a search...
  7. Start Menu and File Explorer search broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu and File Explorer search broken: For some reason, when I click on the search icon on the start menu, or the search box in file explorer, nothing happens. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm on v2004. submitted by /u/badass-techie [link] [comments]...
  8. Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer: Started having this issue a couple days ago even after restarting. Im unable to bring up the search textbox at the start menu. I also cant type anything into the search textbox in File Explorer. Edit: In File Explorer, sometimes I'm able to type but it only allows me to...
  9. Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*: About three days ago I noticed that my Search Button and searching in general wasn't working and the Start Menu was more or less broken. I tried almost every solution I could find - like running sfc /scannow or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, that sort of thing -...
  10. Search bar in start and explorer not working / not clickable

in Windows 10 Support
    Search bar in start and explorer not working / not clickable: Hello guys, I'm new on the forum since i just got win 10. I know there are plenty of posts about search bar problems but non of the solutions helped yet. So the search stopped working completely so that i can't even click on the bar on either the task bar or in explorer,...