Windows 10: Explorer shows file extensions suddenly

Discus and support Explorer shows file extensions suddenly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Explorer shows file extensions suddenly, and can not be unchecked. 75368 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Robbie, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Robbie Win User

Explorer shows file extensions suddenly

Explorer shows file extensions suddenly, and can not be unchecked.

:)

Robbie, Jan 19, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jan 19, 2017
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Windows 10 rename files failed

I might be wrong but I think you are managing to change the extension, the dot is used separate the filename from the extension ie filename.ext

if this is the case you may have problems opening them, the extension tells windows what application to use to view/edit the files it wont know what to use to open a .29 file.

in file explorer the default is to not show the file extensions so file.txt
    would show just file and double clicking would open the file in a text editor. if I rename
    file.txt to 2017.3.29 it would show in file explorer as 2017.3 and windows would see it as a .29 file. to resolve it I would need to name it as 2017.3.29.txt keeping the .txt extension.

open file explorer and navigate to the location of your files click on the view tab on the ribbon and tick the file name extensions box. if it then shows the name you have given it but with no further extension, you will need to put the correct extension
    back on, and when renaming (especially with names that include dots) be careful not to change the extension.

Martmcd, Jan 19, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 19, 2017
  5. Robbie Win User
    First two options don't work

I tried the vsb file but cannot unblock it

Robbie, Jan 20, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that case, you could see if you may be able to manually change the DWORD value in the registry.

Brink, Jan 20, 2017
  7. Robbie Win User
    Tried that already, but it does not want to save.

After some digging on Google the problem is also pointing to Bitdefender which I use.

Robbie, Jan 20, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I suppose you could temporarily uninstall Bitdefender to see how it performs afterwards.

Brink, Jan 20, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that case, you should also contact Bitdefender to turn in a report of the issue to see if they may be able to release a fix in the next version.

Brink, Jan 20, 2017
  10. TairikuOkami, Jan 20, 2017
  11. Robbie Win User
    Interesting !

I still had some Panda antivirus remains on my computer which I removed with a Panda uninstaller, and guess what.......I can hide my file extensions now (still running Bitdefender)

Robbie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer shows file extensions suddenly - Similar Threads - Explorer shows file

2. Files not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files not showing in file explorer: I first noticed the problem while trying to transfer files from a new tablet onto my laptop via USB. I could see the folders and open the folders, but none of the files showed up. I couldn't find helpful info on how to solve that, so I saved the files to my Google Drive and...
  3. Files not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files not showing in file explorer: I first noticed the problem while trying to transfer files from a new tablet onto my laptop via USB. I could see the folders and open the folders, but none of the files showed up. I couldn't find helpful info on how to solve that, so I saved the files to my Google Drive and...
  4. Files not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer Not Showing Files

File Explorer Not Showing Files: Okay, so first, a while ago, I was using my PC, and I tried to go into my Downloads folder. It started loading, but it never actually loaded. Restart, everything's fine. Did that a few more times, until today. Now, when I open File Explorer, it shows this: [ATTACH] And the...
  6. file explorer preview php extension files

file explorer preview php extension files: File Explorer cannot preview files with extension php, which are text files, please advise how to do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-preview-php-extension-files/d500ed8e-4e38-4c30-8517-f27180e54e16
  7. USB storage not showing up in file explorer (and is suddenly without letter)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB storage not showing up in file explorer (and is suddenly without letter): Hey After a lot of searching on google and a lot of troubleshooting i still cant figure out my USB problems. It is regarding a Datatraveler 3.0 USB stick, it shows up in device manager. It shows up in in disk management too, but without name and letter. If i try to give it a...
  8. New Canon RP file extension cr3 is not showing thumbnails in file explorer

New Canon RP file extension cr3 is not showing thumbnails in file explorer: New Canon RP file extension cr3 is not showing thumbnails in file explorer. I have the updated firmware for my Canon camera, but after downloading to my computer and opening file explorer it shows Icons only and not a thumbnail of the picture. I have made sure that the...
  9. file explorer extensions

file explorer extensions: I recently transferred my files from an old laptop to a new one. All of my files have a new extension similar to the following: (2019_03_15 16_15_59 UTC). What happened, what did I do wrong?...
  10. Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON

Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON: Movie titles is a great example, if you got 3 files, Lord of the Ring Lord of the Ring 2 Lord of the Ring 3 and turn ON "show file extensions", then it sorts like this: Lord of the Ring 2.mp4 Lord of the Ring 3.mp4 Lord of the Ring.mp4 This happens because Windows...