Windows 10: Explorer stops interacting with Windows and closes

Discus and support Explorer stops interacting with Windows and closes in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I wonder if anyone can help? Since yesterday, one of my PCs has effectively frozen where Windows Explorer is concerned. It takes several minutes to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mr Morgan, May 4, 2021.

1. Mr Morgan Win User

Explorer stops interacting with Windows and closes

I wonder if anyone can help? Since yesterday, one of my PCs has effectively frozen where Windows Explorer is concerned. It takes several minutes to perform the simplest task, such as a file transfer. In addition to this, the Windows taskbar and start menu freeeze. Windows Settings are also unavailable. Looking into Event Viewer, which seems to take an eternity to load, I see the following: Firstly, I must apologise for the image (and the one below) which was a photograph of the PC's screen: the various tools in Windows for images are inaccessible. More relevant however is that this message indicates that Explorer has failed, but why? Although I am advised to look in the Security and Maintenance control panel, there is nothing there to see. I also notice a series of other repeating messages as follows: However, for each of these another message soon announces that this process has successfully completed. I do not know if these messages are related or not, and there appears to be nothing wrong in Windows's Device Manager. I am reasonably sure that the hardware is alright as well despite this being an old PC: everything was alright on Thursday when the PC was last used. The PC is Windows 10 and updates are very recent. The current version is 20H2 (Build 19042.928). Any advice would be welcome. Thanks .

:)

Mr Morgan, May 4, 2021
  2. Mr Morgan Win User

I wonder if anyone can help?

Since yesterday, one of my PCs has effectively frozen where Windows Explorer is concerned. It takes several minutes to perform the simplest task, such as a file transfer. In addition to this, the Windows taskbar and start menu freeeze.

Windows Settings are also unavailable.

Looking into Event Viewer, which seems to take an eternity to load, I see the following:

Explorer stops interacting with Windows and closes [​IMG]

Firstly, I must apologise for the image (and the one below) which was a photograph of the PC's screen: the various tools in Windows for images are inaccessible. More relevant however is that this message indicates that Explorer has failed, but why? Although I am advised to look in the Security and Maintenance control panel, there is nothing there to see.

I also notice a series of other repeating messages as follows:

Explorer stops interacting with Windows and closes [​IMG]

However, for each of these another message soon announces that this process has successfully completed.

I do not know if these messages are related or not, and there appears to be nothing wrong in Windows's Device Manager. I am reasonably sure that the hardware is alright as well despite this being an old PC: everything was alright on Thursday when the PC was last used.

The PC is Windows 10 and updates are very recent. The current version is 20H2 (Build 19042.928).

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Mr Morgan, May 4, 2021
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Windows Explorer stop interacting with Windows

Hi Rupanjan,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the file explorer stops responding. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise when some of the Windows components or applications gets corrupted. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the explorer issue.

• Press Alt+ctr+Del from Desktop.
    • Select Task Manager.
    • Under process tab, locate Windows Explorer.
    • Right Click Windows Explorer and select End Task.
    • Now select on File tab and click Run Task.
    • Type explorer.exe and press ok.
    • Check if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, I suggest you to
    perform SFC scan and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

• Press the Windows button + X on your keyboard, a mini dialogue box will appear.

2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin). You must run the command prompt in Administrator level.

3. On the command prompt type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

4. If everything went okay and no errors were found, restart your computer and see if the issue re-occurs.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Arul_D, May 4, 2021
  4. Mr Morgan Win User

Well, after much ado this issue appears to have resolved. It may be that the following details may prove useful in the future:

• Concerning the storage optimiser not being able to "retrim on System Reserved", disabling the automatic defragmentation of the C:\ in Windows seems to prevent these messages. It may be that my the hard disk in question lacks a property that the automatic defragmentation now requires. The disk in question is healthy anyway.
    • As for Explorer failing, perhaps the above had something to do with it. Or the problem was resolved by the (apparent) removal of Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5001330) had something to do with it.

In any case, the PC seems to be working normally again ... but it will be kept under observation for now.

Mr Morgan, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Explorer stops interacting with Windows and closes - Similar Threads - Explorer stops interacting

2. Search bar closing itself after interaction

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar closing itself after interaction: Whenever I open the search bar prompt on the latest Windows 11 version, it closes itself after clicking the text bar. This did not happen before, and it happened once I got the newest version of Windows....
  3. Search bar closing itself after interaction

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar closing itself after interaction: Whenever I open the search bar prompt on the latest Windows 11 version, it closes itself after clicking the text bar. This did not happen before, and it happened once I got the newest version of Windows....
  4. The program explorer.exe version 10.0.19041.964 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The program explorer.exe version 10.0.19041.964 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed: explorer.exe stopped responding and hanged. I had to go to task manager and restarted the service. Now how it is happening is very interesting to know. I changed a setting in view tab of file explorer. The setting I changed was viewing details pane. Now when I turn off this...
  5. Certain windows close when interacting windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Certain windows close when interacting windows 10: Been having issues with my computer lately. I open my Hotmail inbox app, nothing so far, but when I click on an email, it closes after a few seconds. I tried opening different emails, but the app closes by itself. So I tried using the help app, but when I am able to contact a...
  6. Explorer "Close all windows" completely stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer "Close all windows" completely stopped working: All of a sudden, when I have multiple File Explorer windows open, right clicking the "Close All Windows" button does nothing at all. This started about two weeks ago. I've run SFC full and it found no errors to speak of (I replaced a lock screen image that I hated, so the...
  7. The program explorer.exe version 10.0.19041.844 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    The program explorer.exe version 10.0.19041.844 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed: Hello this is my first time i'm here.So i have a problem with my window.I have tried runningalmost everything I know as well as on the internet hoping to fix it but it still doesn't work+ Run CMD Admin > sfc, DISM , ....+ Services+ Install/Uninstall Update+ Regedit Registry...
  8. The program explorer.exe version 10.0.19041.746 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The program explorer.exe version 10.0.19041.746 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed: Explorer.exe ERROR Log Name: Application Source: Application Hang Date: 1/28/2021 9:34:29 PM Event ID: 1002 Task Category: 101 Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-ODH82NF Description: The...
  9. Windows Explorer Stops Functioning W/Laptop Closed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Explorer Stops Functioning W/Laptop Closed: While docked to a Dell WD15 USB-C Monitor Dock with 2 peripheral monitors everything functions normally. When I close the Laptop however, I lose the ability to interact with my taskbar and open/closed programs and windows. They are not 'unresponsive' in terms of actual error...
  10. skype stopped interacting with windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    skype stopped interacting with windows: soo...skype decided to stop interacting with windows, which led to me killing it. this...has happened in the past but not for several months. attached please find screenshots of the event viewer log. any ideas? [img] [img] 64816