Windows 10: Explorer stops responding when browsing network share.

Discus and support Explorer stops responding when browsing network share. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a bunch of Windows 10 computers where explorer stops responding once I browse to a network share on a Server 2008r2 box. It seems to happen on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by NNERLING, Oct 11, 2018.

1. NNERLING Win User

Explorer stops responding when browsing network share.

I have a bunch of Windows 10 computers where explorer stops responding once I browse to a network share on a Server 2008r2 box.

It seems to happen on specific folders within the share.

It happens if browsing via IP, UNC or a mapped drive.

Computers are all attached to a domain.

Path is under 20 characters.

I've taken a new W10 install on a different computer, left it off the domain, with no software installed and try to browse the files the same thing happens.

I can browse the affected server from other clients (Win7, Server2008, even XP!) with no issues.

I've looked at the following:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/3a95a397-a1b3-4aa4-825e-fce9d13062c8/explorerexe-crashes-when-searching-inside-mapped-drive?forum=win10itprogeneral

If I browse to the location from notepad, for example, it crashes notepad.

I've turned on "Always show thumbnails, never icons" in the explorer options and setting "Details" view as the default.

:)

NNERLING, Oct 11, 2018

2. Cannot stop sharing a folder on Network

Hi forum,

I've got a problem in stopping sharing some folders across my home network. Not sure if it matters, but I'm on Windows 10 Pro, running my admin user account.
    Anyways, I have a folder I want to unshare from my network called Pictures2 which I believe is empty. The problem is I don't seem to have access to it even though it seems to originate from my PC.

Explorer stops responding when browsing network share. [​IMG]

While I was able to unshare the 'Videos2' folder by going into the Properties normally, I can't stop sharing 'Pictures2' from my network even though my computer is the one sharing it. Double-clicking gives a "Windows cannot access XXX" error.

I did notice a difference between these folders which may or may not be important - The Pictures2 folder doesn't have an owner (either that or it can't display it in advanced security settings) while the Videos2 owner was SYSTEM.
    My user account was in the 'shared' list of both these two folders which is strange, as I couldn't access Pictures2 but could access Videos2.
    Honestly I don't know how or when they were even created and I can't find them on my local drive if they're even meant to be there.

I tried using the manual cmd method suggested in another thread but get this:

Explorer stops responding when browsing network share. [​IMG]

I would like this Pictures2 folder unshared, and if I know where it's located on my PC I can delete it too.

Help?! Any advice would be appreciated.

NZGhostChips, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Unable to browse network computers.

We suggest creating a new administrator user account by following the steps
    here
    . Make sure to use the same network settings that you used for your other computers, then check if you can connect to the home network. Since you also mentioned that Windows 10 was freshly installed on this particular computer, have you already downloaded
    the latest updates? The latest build for Version 1607 is 14393.1715, and 15063.608 for Version 1703. You can check the build version of your computer by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type winver and press Enter.

If you don't have the latest updates, you can follow these steps to install them:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click Update & security.
    • Click Check for updates.

If that doesn't work, we'd like screenshots of the network and file sharing settings of the computer that doesn't work, and the settings of one of your other computers that can connect and share files properly on the home network.

Yolvi Ell, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Right click and then 'Share With' then 'Stop Sharing' -- does nothing (windows 10)?

Hi,

I realize that you are facing the issue with HomeGroup in Windows 10, let me assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to run the HomeGroup troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar and select
      Troubleshooting.

• Click on View All, in the left view pane.

• Find and click on HomeGroup and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Also I suggest you to refer to the below article on
    Share files in File Explorer, select Share over a network or on a shared PC
    from the drop down menu and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e6a-8d98fc2bcf62/share-files-in-file-explorer

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer stops responding when browsing network share. - Similar Threads - Explorer stops responding

2. File explorer - stops responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer - stops responding: Hello everybody, I need your assistance please . When i launch file explorer on my Windows 10 machine, it stops responding freezes . I have tried the below troubleshooting steps without any joy. Killed the program in the task manager, tried to relaunch again Control...
  3. File Explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer stops responding: The issue occurs when I am trying to access File Explorer using any 3rd party software. It might be Zoom, Viber or even Chrome. I have to reboot the system to start it working again...
  4. Explorer stops responding when clicking certain files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer stops responding when clicking certain files: I was going through my files doing some organization yesterday and it was going fine, but every time I even clicked on a couple specific files, explorer would freeze completely. So far they're only word files and it's the same ones every time, but it's not happening with all...
  5. Windows 10: Unable to browse to network shares folder in Explorer,

Windows 10: Unable to browse to network shares folder in Explorer,: Windows 10 Unable to browse to network shares folder in Explorer, but user has this share folder access as mapped network drive, but in explorer, user trying to open a file from shared drive, dive is invisible only i can see c drive, no share drive. need advice...
  6. Explorer window stops responding for Network after viewing This PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer window stops responding for Network after viewing This PC: On my Windows 10 desktop, I have two icons, "Network" and "This PC". If I click on "Network", it brings up an Explorer window with a list of all devices found on my local network NAS, TV, printers, etc.. If I right-click and choose Refresh, this list will refresh. If I then...
  7. File Explorer not responding when browsing one specific drive

File Explorer not responding when browsing one specific drive: Hello, I have several drives on my Windows 10 computer. But when I'm browsing through one of these drives, E:, it get's incredibly laggy. Sometimes it gets unresponsive or takes up to one minute to just rename a folder. I have no problem with File Explorer in any other HDD...
  8. Share folder related "not responding" in Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Share folder related "not responding" in Explorer: 20 years ago when you access some shared folder on other PCs that is unaccessible will render your Explorer not responding for a long time, like 10+ seconds. For Windows 10 the above problem is solved, but there are still problems related to shared folder. (1) If you...
  9. Unable to browse network share if signed into Microsoft account

Unable to browse network share if signed into Microsoft account: I am having a problem with network share I am unable to browse network share of another computer if I signed into Microsoft account If I sign into a local account, then I can browse another computer network share folders. How to fix this? 47576
  10. Can't browse network shares?

Can't browse network shares?: After 1511 update this morning and changing nothing else, I can no longer access \\computername.... What gives? Any suggestions? 30384