Windows 10: Explorer stops responding when clicking certain files

Discus and support Explorer stops responding when clicking certain files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was going through my files doing some organization yesterday and it was going fine, but every time I even clicked on a couple specific files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RedMan2032, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Explorer stops responding when clicking certain files

I was going through my files doing some organization yesterday and it was going fine, but every time I even clicked on a couple specific files, explorer would freeze completely.

So far they're only word files and it's the same ones every time, but it's not happening with all word files. I'm still able to access them if I open them via word and not explorer.

I know it's probably a silly issue with a super straight forward solution, but any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

submitted by /u/RedMan2032
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RedMan2032, Feb 14, 2020
  2. CuriousD Win User

Windows Explorer Stops Responding on Certain Folder

Hello. Recently, I had two instances when Windows Explorer stopped responding when I tried to access a folder. The first time, it seemed to focus on two video files and when I deleted the files, the folder was fine. The next time, I could not access the folder. I could access my back up on the NAS drive, but Windows Explorer would stop responding when I tried to access the folder on my secondary hard drive on the computer. I deleted the folder and copied the folder from the NAS drive to the secondary drive, but it yielded the same problem. I renamed the folder and I am now able to access the folder.

Do these two instances suggest a problem with my hard drive or with my current state of Windows 10?

Thanks for your input.

CuriousD, Feb 14, 2020
  3. J. Raúl Win User
    File Explorer not responding problem.

Try this steps because I think it's related with quick access in file explorer:

1. Open a new Explorer window.
    2. Click View in the ribbon.
    3. Click Options.
    4. Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    5. Click OK.
    Now it should hopefully work fine.

J. Raúl, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Explorer stops responding when clicking certain files

File Explorer stopped working,

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the file explorer stops responding. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise when some of the Windows components or applications gets corrupted. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the explorer issue.

• Press Alt+ctr+Del from Desktop.
    • Select Task Manager.
    • Under process tab, locate Windows Explorer.
    • Right Click Windows Explorer and select End Task.
    • Now select on File tab and click Run Task.
    • Type explorer.exe and press ok.
    • Check if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, I suggest you to
    perform SFC scan and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

• Press the Windows button + X on your keyboard, a mini dialogue box will appear.

2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin). You must run the command prompt in Administrator level.

3. On the command prompt type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

4. If everything went okay and no errors were found, restart your computer and see if the issue re-occurs.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Explorer stops responding when clicking certain files

1. Explorer stops responding when clicking certain files - Similar Threads - Explorer stops responding

2. File Explorer frequently stops responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer frequently stops responding: Consistently, when i access certain files, usually ones a couple folders in, my file explorer will stop responding and do nothing until restarted.I have read a lot of readily available help, suggesting things like "sfc/scannow" in cmd or a system health check in powershell,...
  3. File Explorer frequently stops responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer frequently stops responding: Consistently, when i access certain files, usually ones a couple folders in, my file explorer will stop responding and do nothing until restarted.I have read a lot of readily available help, suggesting things like "sfc/scannow" in cmd or a system health check in powershell,...
  4. File Explorer frequently stops responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer stops responding when i select/try to open/right click .exe Files.

File Explorer stops responding when i select/try to open/right click .exe Files.: Hello, recently when i try to select/right click/try to open .exe files the Windows loading cursor appears and windows explorer stops responding, sometimes i can just close it by hovering over explorer and press the X and close it, sometimes i have to open taskmgr and end...
  6. File explorer - stops responding

File explorer - stops responding: Hello everybody, I need your assistance please . When i launch file explorer on my Windows 10 machine, it stops responding freezes . I have tried the below troubleshooting steps without any joy. Killed the program in the task manager, tried to relaunch again Control...
  7. Windows Explorer crashing when right clicking certain files.

Windows Explorer crashing when right clicking certain files.: Hello, I have a weird issue with windows 10 that makes windows explorer crash when right clicking a mp3 file. The log says: Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: explorer.exe Application...
  8. File Explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer stops responding: The issue occurs when I am trying to access File Explorer using any 3rd party software. It might be Zoom, Viber or even Chrome. I have to reboot the system to start it working again...
  9. File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File

File Explorer Not Responding After Clicking on A File: Hello, I am facing a weird problem, where everything was fine and then every time I click a file in my File Explorer, it stops working and turns into "Not Responding". Opening folders work well. It happens only when I click on a file and try to delete it or move it. I am...
  10. Windows Explorer Stops Responding on Certain Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Stops Responding on Certain Folder: Hello. Recently, I had two instances when Windows Explorer stopped responding when I tried to access a folder. The first time, it seemed to focus on two video files and when I deleted the files, the folder was fine. The next time, I could not access the folder. I could access...