Windows 10: Explorer suddenly not showing free space for one partition.

Discus and support Explorer suddenly not showing free space for one partition. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This has suddenly happened, explorer is missing the 'space' information from the display. The build up to this was simply creating a Windows disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Mooly Win User

Explorer suddenly not showing free space for one partition.

This has suddenly happened, explorer is missing the 'space' information from the display.

The build up to this was simply creating a Windows disk image using W10's own utility. Mysteriously the space bar on the problem partition showed some usage, about 1.7Gb but nothing could be found in the partition. I've even tried deleting the partition in Disk Management and reassigning a drive letter but nothing gets the display back.

Any ideas ?

Explorer suddenly not showing free space for one partition. [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Dec 11, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

Windows 10 download stops after reaching 90%.

Do you have enough free space, 20-30GB, in the partition where you are going to install Windows 10?

Is your hard drive partitioned into different drive letters? If so in file explorer you need to right click on C: and click on properties. This will show how large the C: drive is and how much free space is left.

lacrumb, Dec 11, 2015
  3. Partition disappeared

Hello,

I had 2 partitions( Drive D and H) apart from Local disk C. Unfortunately, one of the partitions(H) was totally deleted. I am not sure what happeend. I couldn't see the empty partition in File Explorer as well. I tried opening the disk management, there
    it is showing as just Free Space. Before it was New Volume H with 106.26 GB but now the same is with free space. All my important work is saved there, please help me in this!

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Kranthi RanadheerMoreddy, Dec 11, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Have you tried renaming the drive with a shorter name. The long description has caused the line to wrap and this might have obscured the details. I have not tested this but it was just a thought based on what I see in your image.

philc43, Dec 11, 2015
  5. Mooly Win User
    Thanks for the reply...

That's the one thing I didn't try although it had been OK up until a couple of hours ago. When I deleted the partition as a final resort, I reinstated it with the same name. Drat *Smile I wish I had tried that.

I've hit so many snags with this new install that I'm starting afresh. It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens again.

Mooly, Dec 11, 2015
  6. philc43 Win User
    OK, well let us know how it goes. A clean install may be a huge improvement for you if that is what you are doing.

philc43, Dec 11, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Which space are you guys talking about, the light green 2.04GB Free space?

Edwin, Dec 11, 2015
  8. philc43 Win User

No; the missing details in the previous image, area circled in red.

philc43, Dec 11, 2015
  9. davidhk Win User
    Mooly,
    I don't have anything to solve your issue.
    I just have a comment or 2. Pardon me if it is off topic.
    Why store your image backup within the compute ?
    Wouldn't it be more logical to store the backups in an external media ? If the computer goes kaput, how will you use the backups that are inside the computer ?

Personally, I do system image backup to my external hard drive about once a month or after big updates install.
    If my computer goes down and I cannot access it, I can still use my backup to restore the system.

davidhk, Dec 11, 2015
  10. Mooly Win User
    Arrghh *Smile

This started life two days ago as a super clean install. When I get it sorted I'll tell you all about it... long story short... Acronis TI2016 went and self destructed itself (couldn't add backups to its list) and so in despair I reinstalled and relied on W10's own disk imaging. That was going swimmingly well until I ran it a third time and that's when all this started. The missing free space text problem appeared but more worryingly, the used space was showing 'something' as having occupied 1.7Gb. Nothing in Windows would show what it was...... nothing I tried got the missing text back. Lol, third time lucky with yet another clean install. This time I'm using an older version of Acronis run from bootable media.

Hi David,

Your quite correct in what you say.

My method is to store running incremental backups on partition Y along with any important full images made. Those important ones (and also month end ones) get transferred over to a separate HDD. The initial installs are on the 'Recovery Files' partition and that also contains all the software applications I install. That to is all backed up again on another drive. All my personal files/photos/music is backed up onto flash drive. So all in all I have several backups that can always recover my files in the worst case scenario.

Mooly, Dec 11, 2015
  11. Edwin New Member
    @ Mooly:
    So..., where are you at right now with this mess? *Wink

Edwin, Dec 11, 2015
  12. AndreyT Win User
    There's nothing wrong with that as long as the backup is stored on a physically separate drive (separate from system drive). That way you can freely modify/restore/format/repair/replace the system drive and sill have access to the image.

There are backups and there are backups. Some people take backups to save their data from fire, theft, aerial bombardment or similar acts. Such backups are best stored externally (and preferably off-site). Other people make backups to protect their data from OS failures, equipment failures or their own stupidity. There's nothing wrong with storing such backups on-site or even "inside the computer" as long as the data is separated from the expected point of failure (like system drive).

That's great, but as long as one has space to waste on one's internal HDD, storing it on that internal HDD will work just as well (observing what I said above, of couse). A separate internal HDD will remain accessible regardless of what happens to your computer. In fact, your external HDD is just an ordinary internal HDD in an external enclosure. On can argue that a bare drive can be even easier to access than an enclosed one.

AndreyT, Dec 11, 2015
  13. Mooly Win User

Right now I have this *Smile

All reinstalled from scratch and all fully configured. The only setting up left is IE and Edge favourites etc.
    Disk images made using bootable media have been stored on an external drive.

I'm wondering whether to try Windows backup again, because bizarrely that is what seemed to break things or whether to try again with Acronis. Whatever might go wrong at this point, I should hopefully be able to undo with the external image.

Mooly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer suddenly not showing free space for one partition. - Similar Threads - Explorer suddenly showing

2. File explorer showing false free space in drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer showing false free space in drive: I have 299gb of disk space available on D drive and the files present on it have size of 187gb including system files but the free space shows just 39.4gb.While opening the properties of drive D, it shows 260 gb used but when I look inside the drive, there is no way it could...
  3. File explorer showing false free space in drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer showing false free space in drive: I have 299gb of disk space available on D drive and the files present on it have size of 187gb including system files but the free space shows just 39.4gb.While opening the properties of drive D, it shows 260 gb used but when I look inside the drive, there is no way it could...
  4. File explorer showing false free space in drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to restore the free space partition?

How to restore the free space partition?: It used to be the D disk but now it becomes this free space oneI can't upload the picture https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-free-space-partition/97c9bd5c-ccda-47d3-8c48-255adf9cfccd
  6. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  7. Disk Management partition free space

Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  8. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Wiping the free space in recovery partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wiping the free space in recovery partition: I'm selling my laptop and deleting everything except the windows. Is there a way to securely wipe the free space in recovery and uefi partitions?i did the other volumes with cipher w in cmd but don't know how to address these drives with that command. submitted by /u/cs-k...
  10. Hard disk suddenly shows a 100GB more free space

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard disk suddenly shows a 100GB more free space: I've recently upgraded to windows 10 home version from windows 8.1 . My hard disk space before the upgrade was around 50GB. After the upgrade it was reduced to around 32 GB. I figured it was just because windows was storing some of the older files temporarily to allow for a...