Windows 10: Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files

Discus and support Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 and have noticed for a while that a lot of my MP4 files do not display show that a file is an MP4 file in Explorer. I view the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bel-p, Nov 25, 2018.

1. bel-p Win User

Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files

I'm using Windows 10 and have noticed for a while that a lot of my MP4 files do not display show that a file is an MP4 file in Explorer.

I view the files using Thumbnails, not icons, and usually view as Large Icons or Extra Large icons.

Some MP4 files clearly show that they're a film as they display the movie style thumbnail, but others just display a plain thumbnail so don't look any different from JPG files.

I've now realised that films that I've taken horizontally with my phone show as movie style thumbnails, but films taken vertically with my phone show as ordinary thumbnails. Here's a screenshot of what I mean.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files 22af6731-511b-4796-919c-ce22254bafbe?upload=true.png

:)

bel-p, Nov 25, 2018
  2. Jules1955 Win User

Some MP4 Files Are Not Displaying Icons in File Explorer

I've ripped several DVDs to MP4s. In Windows (7 or 10 - 64bit) file explorer, some of the icons for the MP4 files display as the movie poster and some of the icons appear as a snapshot of the 1st still
    (e.g. opening credits vs. movie poster). Is there a way to get all the MP4 icons to display as movie posters? Note: All movies play as expected.

Thanks for your help.

• Are you referring to a particular file or the folder?

Files: some .mp4 files are not displaying an icon like the others...see details in the attached example.

Folder: Video Folder
    • Have you converted these files using third party converter?

Yes, I converted these files to .mp4 using Handbrake. Note: I used Handbrake on all the files I converted. Some of the icons display correctly as movie posters and some do not. I cannot find the root cause.

• Is the issue specific to a particular file format or you cannot see the thumbnails of all formats?

As I mentioned in my original post, I can see the movie poster icon for some of the .mp4 files, but not all of them. Not clear why the display is inconsistent.

Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files 59e71f5c-5a69-4845-91bf-4b31a2d0bace.png

Jules1955, Nov 25, 2018
  3. JULES1955 Win User
    Some MP4 Files Are Not Displaying Icons in File Explorer

I've ripped several DVDs to MP4s. In Windows 10 - 64-bit file explorer, some of the icons for the MP4 files display as the movie poster and some of the icons appear as a snapshot of the 1st still (e.g. opening credits vs. movie poster). Is there a way to get all the MP4 icons to display as movie posters? Note: All movies play as expected.
    Thanks for your help.

JULES1955, Nov 25, 2018
  4. Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files

USB doesn't display MP4 file!

I have a 300kb mix of .png, .jpg, .pdf files on a 4Gb USB drive. I added a 2Gb MP4 movie but it doesn't display in the drive files. I used CCleaner to check the drive F files .. it only shows up as 2Gb of OTHER FILES, but not in the listed files.

Any (constructive) suggestions welcome. I can't remove it as it doesn't show in the file list.

GregNeedsHelp, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files

1. Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files - Similar Threads - Explorer Thumbnails displaying

2. Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10: Hi there.I've been facing this problem for a very long time and haven't been able to find a solution. I've tried all the setting changes that were recommended on other forums and this Microsoft support site as well. But no use.The thumbnails for other formats like MOV, are...
  3. Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10: Hi there.I've been facing this problem for a very long time and haven't been able to find a solution. I've tried all the setting changes that were recommended on other forums and this Microsoft support site as well. But no use.The thumbnails for other formats like MOV, are...
  4. Thumbnails for MP4 files not displaying in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. mp4 and mp3 thumbnails doesn't show in windows explorer and microsoft movies and tv and...

mp4 and mp3 thumbnails doesn't show in windows explorer and microsoft movies and tv and...: hi I deleted these folders with Third party program " FolderSizes 9 " and administrator access C:\Users\Monarch\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ZuneVideo_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\ImageStore...
  6. Thumbnails for Video Files such as mp4 Are Not Working

Thumbnails for Video Files such as mp4 Are Not Working: Within the last couple of days, thumbnails for video files particularly mp4 seem to have stopped appearing. New files would not get thumbnails, while thumbnails for older files remained. Even more odd, these new mp4 files would receive thumbnails while being uploaded to...
  7. Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer

Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer: Thumbnails on my new laptop running Win10 are not displaying in Explorer or editing software. They show briefly after a folder opens and when I use the slider, they show for a split second as the mouse scrolls down. Otherwise only an icon shows....
  8. MP4 files not showing movie icon in Explorer

MP4 files not showing movie icon in Explorer: Some of my MP4 files are not showing the correct movie-type of icon in Windows Explorer. This is when viewing the folder using icons of any size. If I switch to Details view then it shows correctly as a movie file. NB I think this seems to only happen with VERTICAL MP4...
  9. .mp4 thumbnail icons!?

.mp4 thumbnail icons!?: Did the feature update this morning and now I don't get thumbnail previews for .mp4 files only! Any idea why anyone!? I like my thumbnails!!! Chuter. EDIT: To be more specific it seems it's only not going to show me the .mp4 video thumbnails for the videos that came...
  10. Some MP4 Files Are Not Displaying Icons in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Some MP4 Files Are Not Displaying Icons in File Explorer: I've ripped several DVDs to MP4s. In Windows 10 - 64-bit file explorer, some of the icons for the MP4 files display as the movie poster and some of the icons appear as a snapshot of the 1st still (e.g. opening credits vs. movie poster). Is there a way to get all the MP4 icons...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer icon mp4

2. how to display preview of MP-4 file in Icon in win 7

3. show mp4 in file icon

4. show mp4 movie thumbnails in windows 10,
  5. thumbnails and not icons for mp4 videos get help with file explorer in windows 10