Windows 10: Explorer (window management) alternative for Windows 10

Discus and support Explorer (window management) alternative for Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For as long as Windows 10 has been around, I've had tremendous issues with UI fluidity and speed on the OS. An example: On a new ThinkPad laptop with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimhoyle, Sep 15, 2018.

1. jimhoyle Win User

Explorer (window management) alternative for Windows 10

For as long as Windows 10 has been around, I've had tremendous issues with UI fluidity and speed on the OS. An example:

On a new ThinkPad laptop with fairly high specs, I opened Explorer and went to C:\SomeFolder. I pressed shift+ctrl+n to create a new folder. The green progress meter started running on the address bar for 20 seconds! Then what? Nothing. No "New Folder". I had to press F5 and then New Folder appeared. This kind of behaviour is even worse on network drives. This is totally unacceptable and impossible.

You may think this is not normal, my system is corrupted. But I've encountered many same or similar problems on at least 5 other Win10 machines. It's just much, much slower and more difficult to do basic things on a Win10 computer compared to Win7.

1. If you have suggestions how to fix this NewFolder/Rename/etc. directory listing update problem, please let me know. None of the fixes I've seen so far have worked.

2. Is there an alternative for Explorer that would actually work lightning fast for new folder etc.? I have tried some alternatives such as FreeCommander, but haven't been happy so far. One important requirement is the ability to show a preview pane (which is part of Win7+Win10 explorer), showing smart previews of media files (much bigger than thumbnails).

:)

jimhoyle, Sep 15, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 15, 2018
  3. mixa Win User
    Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Explorer (window management) alternative for Windows 10 wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

4. Explorer (window management) alternative for Windows 10

Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Sep 15, 2018
Thema:

Explorer (window management) alternative for Windows 10

1. Explorer (window management) alternative for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Explorer window management

2. Windows 10 Network Alternative?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Network Alternative?: so are there any 3rd party software alternatives to windows networking or even hardware alternatives, something that i can use to network my windows 10 machines that will actually work reliably? i have 3 windows 10 machines (1 home edition, 2 pro) on a family network and the...
  3. Is there any alternative for bluetooth manager for Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any alternative for bluetooth manager for Windows 10 ?: Hi Reddit ! I search the Internet for an answer but nothing came out. I would like to know if there is a "correct" alternative to the default bluetooth manager on WIndows 10. Furthermore, I have several devices connected via bluetooth, and it's a shame to not be able to...
  4. Bluetooth Management alternative

Bluetooth Management alternative: I hope this is the right place for this, not sure where else to post. I'm looking for an alternative to the built-in Bluetooth management options available in Win10, maybe some simple software solution or app. I have a number of BT devices (mouse, headset, keyboard, etc.)...
  5. Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything"

in Windows 10 Support
    Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything": I've been using this for years: voidtools It is virtually instantaneous and searches all your drives at once. 161697
  6. Searching For A Minimal Windows Explorer Alternative

Searching For A Minimal Windows Explorer Alternative: Do you guys know a minimal windows explorer alternative? It doesn't need to be full of features, or anything, just a really clean looking file explorer with the least amount of buttons for it to still be usable. Thank you in advance! submitted by /u/csumpasd [link]...
  7. Any alternative for windows 10 Bluetooth manager?

Any alternative for windows 10 Bluetooth manager?: My Bluetooth on pc works well but the windows 10 settings app that is more primitive than the phone's settings doesn't let me easily use Bluetooth. Basically my problem is that pairing and connecting Joy Cons as a controller works perfectly, but when I disconnect and want to...
  8. Recommendation for an alternative file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recommendation for an alternative file explorer: Hi All, Can anyone please give me a recommendation for an alternative file explorer. I have downloaded a trial version of xplorer2 and it seems quite good. Are their any alternatives? Thanks 66327
  9. Clover File Manager Alternative

Clover File Manager Alternative: Hello I have been using a File Manager called Clover here: Clover Brings Chrome-Style Tabs to Windows Explorer. | 易捷科技 EJIE Technology It is a simple program in that it has Tabs & you can add favorite folders to an access bar at the top. It worked OK in Windows 8.1,...
  10. Windows (File) explorer alternatives

Windows (File) explorer alternatives: Hi there are there any File explorer alternatives that can group and display files / directories easily in user selectable fields - for example here I've grouped them in alphabetical order with clear demarcations between each group. (Linux -- KDE file manager Dolphin)....