Windows 10: Explorer window stops responding for Network after viewing This PC

Discus and support Explorer window stops responding for Network after viewing This PC in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On my Windows 10 desktop, I have two icons, "Network" and "This PC". If I click on "Network", it brings up an Explorer window with a list of all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Hrunting, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Hrunting Win User

Explorer window stops responding for Network after viewing This PC

On my Windows 10 desktop, I have two icons, "Network" and "This PC". If I click on "Network", it brings up an Explorer window with a list of all devices found on my local network NAS, TV, printers, etc.. If I right-click and choose Refresh, this list will refresh. If I then open up "This PC", it brings up an Explorer window with the hard drives, etc. on my local PC. Included in this list is my NAS, which is not a mountable drive, but a separate host altogether.

After I load the "This PC" Explorer window, any subsequent attempt to open or refresh the "Network" Explorer window will hang indefinitely at least 24 hours. This only happens after opening "This PC", never before. It is 100% reproducible. The "This PC" and other Explorer windows will continue to function just fine, as long as they do not display anything from the "Network" hierarchy for example, in the sidebar. The only recourse to the unresponsive window is to kill and restart explorer.exe in the Task Manager.

Any ideas what is causing this? Rebooting the computer does not fix the issue -- the behavior happens after reboots. Disks are not corrupt -- disk scans do not find any problems, and it works 100% of the time before opening "This PC".

:)

Hrunting, Jan 1, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 1, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 1, 2020
  4. Explorer window stops responding for Network after viewing This PC

Windows Explorer View - change default

Hi,

In order for you to change the view of Windows Explorer, follow the steps below:

• Open Windows Explorer.
    • Select the View Tab.
    • Click List.
    Let us know how it goes.

Eugene deV, Jan 1, 2020
Thema:

Explorer window stops responding for Network after viewing This PC

1. Explorer window stops responding for Network after viewing This PC - Similar Threads - Explorer window stops

2. Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding: Im experiencing an issue where after using file explorer or relocating photos/files around on my laptop, window's explorers randomly stops responding and I am forced to restart. I am running on windows 11 right now. Any help with this?...
  3. Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding: Im experiencing an issue where after using file explorer or relocating photos/files around on my laptop, window's explorers randomly stops responding and I am forced to restart. I am running on windows 11 right now. Any help with this?...
  4. Windows Explorer stops responding freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer stops responding freezes: I'm having this problem frequently -> when I'm opening a file, the Windows Explorer window freezes.When I close the window, this has the unfortunately side effect of closing ALL of the Windows Explorer windows I have open. This is a real drag when I'm at work. I basically...
  5. Windows Explorer stops responding freezes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer stops responding freezes: I'm having this problem frequently -> when I'm opening a file, the Windows Explorer window freezes.When I close the window, this has the unfortunately side effect of closing ALL of the Windows Explorer windows I have open. This is a real drag when I'm at work. I basically...
  6. why windows explorer stop responding

why windows explorer stop responding: explorer displays not responding and hangs. this happens when I highlight a few files or as I scroll to look for files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-windows-explorer-stop-responding/559c8e39-d164-4abd-83ae-9028bd294661"
  7. Window Explorer Stop Responding after Right Click

Window Explorer Stop Responding after Right Click: At the end of March, I updated Windows to 1809 build 1. Windows Explorer froze after right click 2. could not be opened from the task bar, and would keep restarting after ~30 minutes Hence I reversed to 1803 build, which caused Windows Hello feature to stop working, and...
  8. File Explorer in Details Pane View stops responding

File Explorer in Details Pane View stops responding: File Explorer, in Details Pane View, stops responding after the closure of any .docx file or any .xlsx file if said file was opened via File Explorer. Older .doc files or .xls files do not cause such a problem, nor do .pdf, .txt or .jpg files cause such a problem. The...
  9. Windows Explorer stopped responding and hang

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer stopped responding and hang: Source Windows Explorer Summary Stopped responding and was closed Date ‎07-‎Dec-‎18 11:22 AM Status Not reported Description A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows. Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event...
  10. Explorer stops responding when browsing network share.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer stops responding when browsing network share.: I have a bunch of Windows 10 computers where explorer stops responding once I browse to a network share on a Server 2008r2 box. It seems to happen on specific folders within the share. It happens if browsing via IP, UNC or a mapped drive. Computers are all attached to a...