Windows 10: Explorer Windows all open as Maximised

Discus and support Explorer Windows all open as Maximised in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a tablet pc which I run NOT in tablet mode, but as a regular desktop pc. When I open an Explorer window (from the shortcut on the taskbar or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BobSter2, Jan 13, 2018.

1. BobSter2 Win User

Explorer Windows all open as Maximised

I have a tablet pc which I run NOT in tablet mode, but as a regular desktop pc.

When I open an Explorer window (from the shortcut on the taskbar or by WinKey+E on the (soft) keyboard), it always opens it maximised. I can subsequently restore it down to a better size, but I want to open windows in their 'restored down' status.

I have done the View>Options>View>Apply-to-folders thing, but it doesn't help.

On other machines, it works properly, but not this one machine.

thanks

ps.

1) I'm talking about Explorer windows, not app windows (which are fine), so I guess (an inversion of) this doesn't apply. Is there anyway to open fullscreen windows by default?

2) I read that Cnrl + RedXClick (??Win8?) might be a solution, but I can't do that with only a soft keyboard.

Win10 Home 1709. 32 bit.

:)

BobSter2, Jan 13, 2018
  2. J. B.M Win User

WINDOW EXPLORER not opening / maximising in WINDOW 10

You have used the same Shortcut for Maximise and Minimise! Up arrow + Windows key is Maximise!

I have the properties set in the Task Bar shortcut for Maximised and it don't work! Nor does Windows key + E. and the same with any other method of opening the FE.

When I first open the File Explorer I need to maximise it and then close it to be able to have a Maximised FE until I next restart Windows 10 Pro. This applies to all methods of opening FE, so repeat for each method which is a RRPA.

An RRPA (Right Royal Pain in the ****)

*All spelling anglicised. Funny Win Answers insists on American spell corrections but recognises an Anglo Saxon word for a our personal refuse disposal orifice!

J. B.M, Jan 13, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - Default Window size

Everytime I open an application, it doesn't open with the window in the maximised position. It's frustrating to have to click the maximise button every time. How do I fix this so all my applications and folders open in a maximised size?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

Lyonel1972, Jan 13, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Open Explorer, grab the header and drag it down with your mouse to restore down, drag the borders with your mouse to the size and position you want, leave it there; right click on the Tasbar icon, right click on File Explorer/Properties/Shortcut Tab/Run:Normal window/Apply/OK; now close Explorer window, you should be all set.

Edwin, Jan 13, 2018
  5. nt62 Win User
    Curious, what does your Windows 10 start menu look like?

6. BobSter2 Win User
    Thanks, but it was already set to "...Run:Normal window". I have tried changing it to "Run:minimized" and then back to "...Run:Normal window again", but it didn't help - original problem persists. I also tried it again with restarts in between the changes. No dice *Sad

BobSter2, Jan 13, 2018
  7. BobSter2 Win User
    Explorer Windows all open as Maximised [​IMG]

BobSter2, Jan 13, 2018
  8. nt62 Win User

Thanks. Clicking "This PC" - normal window or forced maximized?
    Screen Resolution?

Menu - different positions - bottom left - etc., same result?
    Title Bar "Window" resizing works normally?
    From corner edges using mouse pointer?

see you have what appears to be folders added to menu -
    added anything special to make that happen? customization tools?

9. BobSter2 Win User
    This PC" - normal window or forced maximized? Normal

Screen Resolution? 1280x800 (native/recommended), 9" screen

Menu - different positions - bottom left - etc., same result? Yes
    Title Bar "Window" resizing works normally? Yes
    From corner edges using mouse pointer? Yes

its just bog-standard Win10

see you have what appears to be folders added to menu -added anything special to make that happen? customization tools?
    -Click windows icon ('start button'), then right click any Desktop app; Select More> Open file location
    -You see a standard folder contain shortcuts for all your desktop apps
    - add subfolders as desired and dump (desktop) app shortcuts in those. If the folders start with a number then they appear at the top of the list. I group apps by type (0 Browsers; 0 Players, etc).
    -When using the start menu and click on a folder, you get a jumplist of all the apps in that folder.
    -You can have multiple levels of hierarchy/nesting in the actual folders, but IIRC the start menu displays them flattended into two levels (folder and apps).

again, bog-standard windows, nothing specific or different for tablet

BobSter2, Jan 13, 2018
  10. nt62 Win User
    Is this a new issue?
    A screen (and resolution) that size suggests that a
    display would "normally" have maximized windows.

11. BobSter2 Win User
    No, it's not a new issue, it has always been like that and I guess screen size/res may well be the cause. But it does let me subsequently manually restore down the windows to a much smaller size, so it's not like it's incapable of handling smaller windows...... ?

BobSter2, Jan 13, 2018
  12. Callender Win User
    What do you see if you right click Explorer icon in taskbar > then right click File Explorer > Properties.

You should see option to run normal, maximized, minimized.

Edit: I see you've already done that!

Callender, Jan 13, 2018
  13. nt62 Win User

Yeah - Yep - you can make a window smaller
    but the tablet display driver is probably operating as designed.

Nice job with folders in the menu!
    I used to do that with Windows 8.0

A folder of shortcuts located in the metro UI immersive menu made
    identifying a shortcut with a single keystroke and pressing enter to launch.

Not all tablets have HDMI output so you're probably stuck with what you have for now.

14. BobSter2 Win User
    This one does. I have plugged it into a HD monitor and the problem is the same. But I'm not sure what to deduce from that!

(on the external monitor, Windows changes the resolution, but I'm not sure to what, as the Resolution box (under 'Settings') is greyed-out. The hardware is 1920x1080)

BobSter2, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer Windows all open as Maximised - Similar Threads - Explorer open Maximised

2. File Explorer Not Opening At All!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Not Opening At All!: I have a HP victus with 32GB of ram and 1tb Nmve. I don't what happened the File Explorer Not Opening At All! Its Windows 11. Since I'm using Win 11 i am facing this issue I have tried all the methods. cmd, clearing, and reseting. but it's not working.I have ton of work to do...
  3. File Explorer Not Opening At All!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Not Opening At All!: I have a HP victus with 32GB of ram and 1tb Nmve. I don't what happened the File Explorer Not Opening At All! Its Windows 11. Since I'm using Win 11 i am facing this issue I have tried all the methods. cmd, clearing, and reseting. but it's not working.I have ton of work to do...
  4. Microsoft Edge Not Opening Maximised

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Not Opening Maximised: I am slowly using microsoft edge more with Windows 10. Today i altered the default search engine from Bing to Duck Duck Go and closed the browser. On reopening the browser I couldn't get Edge to open in a maximised state unless I clicked the option in top right corner. I...
  5. File explorer not opening at all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer not opening at all: Hello microsoft pls help me i can not open file explorer at all from any way possible i have tried ur tricks but still nothing i cannot access it when i click on it nothing happens and i cant even click on it from the search box or start menu because it does not open and when...
  6. Maximising the WIndows security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Maximising the WIndows security: Hi, To maximise our security online etc. against all kind of malwares, is updating the windows and having windows defender enough or should we go for an antivirus paid one? ANd if we buy an antivirus which serve both as antimalware too, do we need to update windows too or...
  7. File explorer does not open - appears only as an icon on taskbar but will not maximise

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer does not open - appears only as an icon on taskbar but will not maximise: For about 2 weeks the File Explorer will not function - regardless of from where I try it, will only appear as small icon on Taskbar. The icon will not maximise though if mouse hoovers over it opens in miniature (but no good). If I go into Word or PDF I can pen the relevant...
  8. When I maximise the windows explorer, all the options are missing

in Windows 10 Support
    When I maximise the windows explorer, all the options are missing: Hi, My toolbar goes missing when I open in full window, everything turns blank. I have no idea why. I need to to right click at the taskbar and close it. I cannot do anything, windows button left right does not work, double click does not work. Does anyone know how to solve...
  9. How to maximise all windows?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to maximise all windows?: This is bugging me at the moment. I'm stumped concerning how to maximise all windows that are all minimised in the taskbar. Any ideas? Cheers. 57154
  10. Win 10 all of a sudden open programs won`t minimise or maximise

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 all of a sudden open programs won`t minimise or maximise: Hi I haven`t made any changes ..so probably a Windows update...previously with any running programs I could left click the icon in the taskbar and it would maximise and minimise...not now...also I can`t right click on desktop?? I also notice when I click on start I have...