Windows 10: Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016

Discus and support Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am having trouble moving a VM from windows 10 to Server 2016. I have updated Win 10 to 20H2 and applied all available windows updates. I created a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by scomage, Oct 27, 2020.

1. scomage Win User

Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016

I am having trouble moving a VM from windows 10 to Server 2016. I have updated Win 10 to 20H2 and applied all available windows updates. I created a VM on Win 10, exported it, and then copied to a server 2016 computer with Hyper-V installed but it does not present as available for import. Is there any way to make this work?

:)

scomage, Oct 27, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting a Hyper-V vm keeps everything, GUID always remains the same, original. It's the importing that determines if old GUID and for instance activation will be kept or not.

If imported registering vm in-place or restoring vm, GUID is kept (green highlight in screenshot below). If importing copying vm a new GUID will be created (red highlight). See tutorial Method One Step 6 for explanation for these three import methods: Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Import in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016 [​IMG]

dXBwylFs-Wg

3. Cliff S Win User
    Exporting VM with hyper-v

Damn! I forgot that you told me about that.
    I should have remembered, but such things, I remember only as I do them.
    Would rep you, but I got to spread the love first*Wink

Cliff S, Oct 27, 2020
  4. Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016

Move Hyper-V VM Without Reactivating?

According to this (How do I avoid needing to activate Windows when I move a VM? [Hyper-V]) link it is possible to move a Hyper V VM to a new host without having to reactivate the guest OS by exporting
    it and importing it. Are there any additional steps I should know about or is it as simple as find the export and then import (on the new host) options/buttons?

EvenNotOdd, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016

1. Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016 - Similar Threads - Export Win10 Hyper

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Screwed Myself - how to "un-reset" Win Server 2016 VM on Hyper-v

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Screwed Myself - how to "un-reset" Win Server 2016 VM on Hyper-v: Hello, I am in trouble....potentially big time and hoping someone can help me. I am attending a certification school and I am behind on my class work for Windows server 2016. I went to pick up where I left off on my work and could not sign into my Hyper-v VM for Windows...
  5. Upgrade a 2008 server in Hyper v vm to 2012 server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade a 2008 server in Hyper v vm to 2012 server: Hi I am running hyper v manager on my windows 10 pro pc. I am running 2008 server on the hyper v manager and I want to upgrade it to 2012 server. When I click on the install now button it does the copy files but does not go to the windows update window to continue the...
  6. BSOD Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V VM PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 50 BUCKET_ID:...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V VM PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 50 BUCKET_ID:...: One of the Hyper-V VMs crashed with BSOD intermittently. System details; OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393 System Model Virtual Machine System Type x64-based PC Installed Physical Memory RAM:16.0 GB Total Physical Memory:...
  7. Hyper-v fails to import VM

Hyper-v fails to import VM: My Hyper-V storage drive broke down, have backups for that drive, so I have files for VMs. Replaced drive copied files from backup but Hyper-v manager doesn't see any VMs. Trying to import VMs from those files gets me error Unspecified error (0x8004005). Both Restore and...
  8. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  9. No audio in Hyper-V - Win10 VM on Win10

No audio in Hyper-V - Win10 VM on Win10: I'm running Windows 10 Pro, using Hyper-V, with a VM that is running Windows 10. I've already read Overview: Client Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 8.1 and Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode - Turn On or Off (referred to in several other related articles) and neither...
  10. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...