Windows 10: Exporting Registry

Discus and support Exporting Registry in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT with regedit it works, but whenI try to do it from a batch script with "reg export HKCR... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wysneus, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Wysneus Win User

Exporting Registry

When I export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT with regedit it works, but whenI try to do it from a batch script with "reg export HKCR E:\RegistryBackup\Current\HKCR.reg /y" it fails. Why? Exporting the rest of the registry from the batch script works perfectly fine, just HKCR fails. Why?

:)

Wysneus, Nov 8, 2020
  2. ddelo Win User

Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. Exporting Registry :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Nov 8, 2020
  3. How to export photos windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps & check if it helps.

If you were using other application apart from file explorer, you may follow the below steps to export to pen drive/flash drive.

• Open the location where the Photos are located using File Explorer.
    • Select the files you want to Export.
    • Right click on the file and select ‘Send to’ from its context menu.
    • Now select the Jump drive from the sub menu.
    • Once the transfer is done, you may open the jump hard disk drive from the File Explorer and check if the file is present there.
    Please get back with the above information to assist you better.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Nov 8, 2020
  4. Alicia J Win User

Exporting Registry

How do I get Outlook 2010 to export the correct address book

I have three options listed in Outlook when I try to export a CSV contact list from the address book.. Myself, another person, and the 'Outlook Data File'. I am the default person.

When you open the address book, the choice that has the current contacts is my name-contacts. When you go to the export file section, it is called suggested contacts. If I export this file and open it in excel, it shows names and street addresses with no email address listed. There are also names in the file that are no longer in my address book.

How do I get the address book to export the current list from my address book, and how do I get the excel file to show the email address?

Alicia J, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

Exporting Registry

1. Exporting Registry - Similar Threads - Exporting Registry

2. I cannot restore a registry edit I exported

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I cannot restore a registry edit I exported: Context: I have been trying to understand this registry hack to show the option to open both command prompt and shell using a right-click context menu. source:...
  3. Error message after attempting to export registry

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error message after attempting to export registry: I was about to make a change my Windows 10 registry, so I went to create a full backup copy first. When I do this, I get the following message after the process completes: [ATTACH] I get the same result on both my SSD and my regular hard drive, so it's not a problem with...
  4. Can I somehow export settings from the Settings app, group policy and registry and re-apply...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I somehow export settings from the Settings app, group policy and registry and re-apply...: This is by far the most bothersome thing to do each time I want to try out different builds. I'd love to save myself nearly 20 minutes of clicking. submitted by /u/Deranox [link] [comments]...
  5. Registry key information export

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry key information export: Hi, I'm looking to grab information from users' registry (one key in particular which states the VPN their using). I would then like to have this information exported so that they all are on one report with just the user name and that key information. What is the best way...
  6. problem exporting/importing registry keys

problem exporting/importing registry keys: I am using Repetier-Host for 3D printing. Configs are stored in the registry. Some configs are lines of code that contain CR, LF characters. These entries are made by the program. [ATTACH] If I look at the entry using Modify, copy the entry, save it to a txt file and look...
  7. C:\windows\system32\config\regback empty - batch file to export registry in Windows 10

C:\windows\system32\config\regback empty - batch file to export registry in Windows 10: I was doing some research on this and it seems that Windows 10 since at least 1803 no longer makes backup copies of the Registry hives and places them in C:\windows\system32\config\regback. I also notice that the REG.exe command is available in the windows recovery...
  8. Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows: How to: Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows How to Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows System configuration information is stored centrally in a hierarchical database called the registry. You can use Registry Editor to add and edit registry keys and...
  9. Export Folder View Settings from Windows 10 Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Export Folder View Settings from Windows 10 Registry: I've been trying to export my folder view settings from the registry so I can port the settings to any new Windows 10 installs or just whenever Windows decides to reset them. I tried using an application called Regshot to make a snapshot of the registry, change a setting,...
  10. Exporting registry with regedit "hangs"

in Windows 10 Support
    Exporting registry with regedit "hangs": I have recently noticed that exporting my registry "hangs" forever. I did a little investigation and found that there appears to be a looping entry into the exported registry keys:...