Windows 10: EXT DVD drive won't auto play discs

Discus and support EXT DVD drive won't auto play discs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Problem after free upgrade with external DVD rw, this is what I did from the Microsoft resolution page, troubshoot hardware and devices, still would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NikiR, Apr 6, 2016.

1. NikiR Win User

EXT DVD drive won't auto play discs

Problem after free upgrade with external DVD rw, this is what I did from the Microsoft resolution page, troubshoot hardware and devices, still would not open disc, manual delete upper filters, still not open disc, uninstalled. DVD device showing on the list.........which did work.
    so now I have ext DVD drive showing under this PC and I can open the disc to view files.....
    i have loaded 3 different discs, 1 my own photos, bought DVD, And a starter cd for my printer.
    all are the same can read files under my PC - DVD RW drive, but they won't automatically play each different type of disc.....
    i have change the programmes used in auto play settings but it doesn't work!!!
    what started the whole problem ..... I bought a Bluetooth printer card so I can print from my iPad and I had to use the starter cd and change settings.... Not done it because I can get the cd to load, when I view the files on it and try setup it then tells me I need IE5 or later, and I have it I've checked and tried to update it just in case.
    frustrated and hate windows 10 at the moment.....
    help help,help. *Mad*Mad*really*Mad

:)

NikiR, Apr 6, 2016

2. Where to put disc in Windows 10 ?

Open the physical DVD drive door.

Insert the disc into the tray

Close it, then the auto play window will appear on screen.

Is this a movie or a program?

Andre Da Costa, Apr 6, 2016
  3. gallen222 Win User
    How do I copy a DVD and finalize Disc in Windows 10?

I am trying to copy a DVD from another DVD that has pictures (slide show) with music. I don't think the disc was ever finalized since it will not play in any dvd player except on a computer. I copied successfully the files on another blank DVD-R, but the
    new disc won't play on a dvd player for tv either. It plays fine on my computer. I have Windows 10 and after I copy, there is no dialog to finalize disc. I also am having problems with auto play since all it ever pops up is "dropbox" option.

Please help.

gallen222, Apr 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 6, 2016
  5. NikiR Win User
    Typed two messages in here!! Disappeared, all I want is to put a cd DVD in the external drive and it to play, I didn't think that was so difficult, changing registry etc, 7 hrs of fiddling and it still doesn't work!! Another make here I come, about to explode !!!!

NikiR, Apr 6, 2016
  6. NikiR Win User
    Autoplay ----- doesn't work with usb sticks either, I have tried 3 jpegs and music, I get the box asking what do you want to do but it's not automatically opened by photo gallery or picasa itunes ......
    Any ideas...

NikiR, Apr 6, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, what I've quoted is the standard fix. I had this happen to me once. Quite a few others too... have you tried it?

dalchina, Apr 6, 2016
  8. NikiR Win User

No sorry I haven't , I need to find full instructions, I don't really understand what I'm doing so I need To have step by step guide.....

NikiR, Apr 6, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Please look at the first post in the 2nd thread. There you can download the .reg file.

Can you see that?

Download it.

Then

Right click it and click Merge.

You probably need to log off, on, then retry Autoplay.
    Good luck

dalchina, Apr 6, 2016
  10. NikiR Win User
    Hi Dalchina, thank you very much for your information so far.
    i am calmer today and this is what I have found and looked at so far.....
    #2 information above used.
    1/ checked HKCU AND HKLM and both have nodrivetypeautorun
    2/ couldn't see DVD recognised usually shows as d drive.
    3/ device manager listed DVD so uninstalled it.
    4/ back into regedit checked HKCU AND HKLM still had Nodrivetypeautorun
    5/ connected DVD via usb and it installed, could hear disc spinning, then pop up asked what do I want this drive to do, disk then stops.
    6/ dvd rw now listed this PC as DVD rw drive 'd' looks exactly the same as pre Windows 10.
    7/ tried DVD prerecorded film and wouldn't load, videolan opened but disc wouldn't play, right click disc under documents and could see TS audio and video files.
    8/ tried starter disc for printer again and no change (I still need to add my Bluetooth card) this won't open either but all files can be seen when you open files,
    9/ Right click DVD drive and connect to autoplay, window opens and 3 choices - configure - open folder to view files - take no action.

please help if you can ..... Any ideas, best regards N

p.s. Where is merge? Couldn't see it anywhere?

NikiR, Apr 7, 2016
  11. NikiR Win User
    Panic over, all fixed with your help...... Next time I will try multiple disc of each type!!! What are the odds that 2x DVD were not working...
    Shoukd anyone have the same problem what I did above does work

NikiR, Apr 9, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Great- now you're just waiting for the next one.. meanwhile, make sure you start using disk imaging if you haven't already, so you both have a full backup and can restore your PC to a previous working state quickly and easily.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. EXT DVD drive won't auto play discs - Similar Threads - EXT DVD drive

2. DVD drive won't play CD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive won't play CD: DVD drive used to play CDs just fine. Now it isn't recognized by the system. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-wont-play-cd/fbee553a-62bb-4785-aa0b-49bd4637ea0f
  3. Can play DVD's but not CD's ext. dvd player Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can play DVD's but not CD's ext. dvd player Windows 10: Hi, I really need some help please. I have a reasonably new, good quality HP laptop, connected to an LG external CD/DVD writer. I am using VLC player. DVD's are recognised and play with no problems, but CD's won't play and aren't even recognised. I have tried using...
  4. disc drive wont burn or play dvd

disc drive wont burn or play dvd: disc drive wontplay or burn a dvd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-drive-wont-burn-or-play-dvd/a79ad254-93e3-4f3b-a304-724997449e69
  5. Memorex External DVD Drive won't format disc

Memorex External DVD Drive won't format disc: Up until about 6 months ago my Memorex DVD Recorder (Model MRX-550LE) had no problem formatting CD & DVD discs. Now, for some unknown reason it won't. Nothing has changed on my computer except for Windows 10 updates. When I check it out in Devices & Drivers, it says it's...
  6. optical drive won't play dvd....

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    optical drive won't play dvd....: my laptop, widows 10, will not play my new dvd's. I'm very disappointed-need help.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optical-drive-wont-play-dvd/b385b903-15dd-4832-b87a-408700b1f2ed"
  7. DVD Drive Won't Read Discs

DVD Drive Won't Read Discs: Hello! I have a Dell Latitude e6440. The DVD drive just randomly stopped reading disc's a week and a half ago in the middle of playing a DVD. Any ideas of things I could try to fix it?...
  8. DVD/CD Drive won't read discs!!

DVD/CD Drive won't read discs!!: I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 Laptop, and when I bought it from my friend, it was still Windows 7 and the DVD/CD drive worked fine, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, when I put in any disc, it doesn't read. I've contacted support multiple times, they tried to help but...
  9. My DVD Drive won't read DVD discs, but will read game discs, and CD's that contains files.

My DVD Drive won't read DVD discs, but will read game discs, and CD's that contains files.: I have been searching for the past couple of months now. Never had issues before and ever since the major 1803 windows 10 update, my driver is still not working properly. This is ridiculous. My driver will read certain cd's containing files. Game cd's work fine. Does not...
  10. BluRay Drive won't play movie discs

BluRay Drive won't play movie discs: I am trying to play some bluray discs on Windows 10. It sometimes sees the drive but rarely see the disc in the drive. I am unable to go back to Windows 7 or 8. Every time I try to play a movie in various movie player, the disc would not be found. 6202