Windows 10: Ext. hard drive not detected, maybe driver usb issue or hardware?

Discus and support Ext. hard drive not detected, maybe driver usb issue or hardware? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I recently wanted to access my ext. hard drive. But it wasn't show up on explorer. I looked up on disk management, it's there, but with free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by moeismu, Sep 2, 2019.

1. moeismu Win User

Ext. hard drive not detected, maybe driver usb issue or hardware?

Hello, I recently wanted to access my ext. hard drive. But it wasn't show up on explorer. I looked up on disk management, it's there, but with free space 100%, (it's weird because i know it shouldn't be empty). I tried on other usb port, still same issue. Then i try with my other ext. hard drive, i even swaped the cable and case (i have some ext. hard drive), still the same issue. And then, when i plugged it in at my friend's notebook, it does work normally (all of them).
    I suspect the problem come from my usb driver. But I plug some of my flashdrives, it does work, even with my other mouses. I uninstalled the usb driver and let windows fix it self, doesn't work. I even use driverpack, choose chipset and controller storage, still doesn't work.
    If it was a hardware (usb port) problem, it shouldn't work with any usb i plugged is it? Or it's other issue i don't know. I want to mount the drive (because disk mgmt recognize it), but i'm afraid it will format my ext. hard drive.

I'm currently on 1903 build 18362.329
    I appreciate any responses, and pardon my english Ext. hard drive not detected, maybe driver usb issue or hardware? :))

Ext. hard drive not detected, maybe driver usb issue or hardware? [​IMG]

:)

moeismu, Sep 2, 2019
  2. Mohan B P Win User

Toshiba Ext Hard Drive

Hi Tony,

I realize that you are facing the issue connecting the external hard drive in Windows 10, let me assist you.

To assist you better, let us know the following details.

• Which build of Windows 10 is installed in your system?
    • What is the make and model of your system?
    • Do other USB devices are getting connected to the system?

As an initial step if troubleshooting, I suggest you to try connecting the external hard drive through different USB ports and check if it is getting detected, also try connecting the same external hard drive to a different Windows 10 system.

Also, connect the external hard drive to the system and check whether the device is shown in Device Manager.

• Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press
      Enter key.
    • Click on View option and click on Show hidden devices.
    • Check whether the device is shown.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Sep 2, 2019
  3. SVLingam Win User
    My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Thanks for your response.

I have tried all the steps provided, however in vain. The external hard drive is not identified at all in any of the the USB ports when connected. The USB ports identify other external Flash drives and devices. However this drive is detected in another laptop
    using Windows 7 OS. Please advise further.

Regards

SVLingam, Sep 2, 2019
  4. Ext. hard drive not detected, maybe driver usb issue or hardware?

My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Hello Lingam,

As you are facing issues with accessing hard drive on your computer, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the hard drive?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 2, 2019
Thema:

Ext. hard drive not detected, maybe driver usb issue or hardware?

1. Ext. hard drive not detected, maybe driver usb issue or hardware? - Similar Threads - Ext hard drive

2. Hardware issue detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware issue detected: i have had my pc a good numbers of month and i have a big problem with BSOD and i have tried so much and i just cant fix it i am on my last nerve i just cant i did a windows memory diagnostics and it said "Hardware issue detected"My specsProcessor: Amd Ryzen 5 7600X 6-Core...
  3. Hardware issue detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware issue detected: i have had my pc a good numbers of month and i have a big problem with BSOD and i have tried so much and i just cant fix it i am on my last nerve i just cant i did a windows memory diagnostics and it said "Hardware issue detected"My specsProcessor: Amd Ryzen 5 7600X 6-Core...
  4. Maybe Hardware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maybe Hardware?: So I was reinstalling windows and when I was setting it up it immediately shuts down and it boots up again and it does that for about 3x before I need to do it all over again...
  5. Maybe Hardware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Maybe Hardware?: So I was reinstalling windows and when I was setting it up it immediately shuts down and it boots up again and it does that for about 3x before I need to do it all over again...
  6. Maybe Hardware?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image: I'm using Windows 10 version 1909. If I want to make a system image, can I format the external drive using NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT? Do all three formats work? 175544
  8. Bad Hard drive, Maybe?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bad Hard drive, Maybe?: My Asus all in one desktop will not boot up and I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and put it on a DVD. It will only go to the blue window page and no further. Is this what happens when the hard drive goes out?...
  9. Windows 10 At Startup Not Detecting Ext Hard Drives connected through USB Hub

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 At Startup Not Detecting Ext Hard Drives connected through USB Hub: My Windows 10, at Startup, does not detect the 4 external hard drives connected to my PC through a USB Hub. If I unplug the hub and plug it back it, then the drives are all detected. I've tried disabling the USB Suspension option and slowed down the start up speed. Neither...
  10. Multiple BSOD - Maybe updated graphics driver or hard drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSOD - Maybe updated graphics driver or hard drive?: Hello all, My Windows 10 PC has been crashing fairly often the past couple days. Usually they are BSOD's but occasionally the computer will just outright freeze and I have to perform a hard reset. Right before the BSOD's started I updated Windows along with my graphics...