Windows 10: Ext HDD Can't remove file

Discus and support Ext HDD Can't remove file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win10 1903 64 On my Ext HDD I have a windows.old file that was backed up before. I have tried resetting all the permissions and ownership but no luck.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Burris, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Burris Win User

Ext HDD Can't remove file

Win10 1903 64

On my Ext HDD I have a windows.old file that was backed up before. I have tried resetting all the permissions and ownership but no luck.
    Every time I try to delete it, it begins...gets to 99% and then stops. I even tried moving it back to my pcPC from which it was backed up, nothing.
    Any help appreciated.

:)

Burris, Jun 29, 2019

2. computer stops recognizing 2 ext HDD

I use a 7 year old HP Pavillion desk top and so far it has worked well. I have USB connected 2 ext HDD. One is basic storage and the other is my ext backup HDD. If I try to open a file in either of them, my computer stops recognizing both the ext HDDs causing
    a major problem creating backups. The only way to bring back recognition of the drives is to reboot. I plugged the two HDDs into another computer and they were fine there. How do I fix this?

cameraman32, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Cannot see my ext WD 2 TB HDD

Ran into this problem transferring media files from my laptop to the WD ext hdd. Both USB 3.
    "My Book", my 2 TB WD ext HDD I cannot be seen on my laptop nor my media mini pc
    I found it in Disk Management. It is shown as Disk 2. It has a black streak all the way (full?) It has excess of I,8 TB used and indicates that it is unitialized.

I have attached a snipper capture of the disk management page.

How do I get the ext HDD to function without losing all my media? I am not technically savvy, but can follow step by step advice.

Thanks

Goodgenie4u, Jun 29, 2019
  4. GaryWere Win User

Printers, ext HDD not recognised

Upgraded to Windows 10, initially, printers & ext HDD for backup all worked OK. Few days later, all stopped working, nothing visible in Devices window. Subsequently downloaded updates KB3081449, KB3081452 on 28 Aug followed by KB3081448 on 29 Aug. Full
    functionality returned. Backed up on 30 Aug, used printer on 01 Sep; no problems. Today, printers visible in Devices, but marked as offline even thought they are switched on. Ext HDD not visible at all. What's going on and how can I fix it?

GaryWere, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Ext HDD Can't remove file - Similar Threads - Ext HDD Can't

2. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disconnecting Ext HDD: I always click the lower left Icon to disconnect my Ext HDs, but they always seem to stay busy even though I stop all processes. Is there a way to tell what process is still active & preventing me from disconnecting? Or a way to stop all easily? I end up rebooting after I...
  3. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disconnecting Ext HDD: I always click the lower left Icon to disconnect my Ext HDs, but they always seem to stay busy even though I stop all processes. Is there a way to tell what process is still active & preventing me from disconnecting? Or a way to stop all easily? I end up rebooting after I...
  4. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. need to reformat a ext HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need to reformat a ext HDD: Hello - I have a new 2TB HDD for a laptop. I formatted it and created partitions, but failed to create enough space for the C: drive. So I want to start over, but after deleting the partitions, File Mgr is not detecting the HDD. I am using AOMEI Disk Part and it recognizes...
  6. Access to Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to Ext HDD: I found that to use my Ext HDD, I needed to go to the Control panel and declare it as a Backup Storage device. Prior to a week or so ago, all I had to do was plug the ext HDD into my laptop via USB. But now that I have declared it a Backup device, I am still unable to see it...
  7. Unable to access Ext HDD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to access Ext HDD.: I recently updated my laptop to Windows 10 using the media creation tool, using my hdd as a flash drive for the update. After the update the hdd reads as ESD-USB and I can't access the files stored in it! Please help and thanks in advance....
  8. WmiPrvSe ext hdd activity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WmiPrvSe ext hdd activity: I have an external HDD and from what I can see in the task manager, it is constantly being read or used by some process. I ran Process Monitor and filtered it down the the drive letter and I see that the process wmiprvse is the only process there. I did some research on it...
  9. Ext USB HDD suddenly non-removable

Ext USB HDD suddenly non-removable: Running Win10 Pro v1803. Update KB4340917 installed yesterday on 7/25/18. Now the Safely Remove Devices icon is nowhere to be found but I manually ran it with a run cmd. The app sees the external device but trying to remove it gives an error claiming the device is not...
  10. [Query]Ext. HDD- which removal policy better?

[Query]Ext. HDD- which removal policy better?: Dear All, I have my 3 TB Seagate ext. hdd. permanently connected to my machine via USB 3.0 port. I use it mostly to store my downloaded files and install games. My query is- if i opt for the 'better performance' option under the removal policy section (pls see image),...