Windows 10: EXT HDD Show "Online" but are "Offline" After Clone (Can't Format)

Discus and support EXT HDD Show "Online" but are "Offline" After Clone (Can't Format) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm on Windows 10 Home, using USB 3.0 EXT HDD (one Glyph & one Fantom) The Problem: I attempted to clone each drive using Macrium Reflect as I've done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ARNK, May 26, 2019.

1. ARNK Win User

EXT HDD Show "Online" but are "Offline" After Clone (Can't Format)

I'm on Windows 10 Home, using USB 3.0 EXT HDD (one Glyph & one Fantom)

The Problem: I attempted to clone each drive using Macrium Reflect as I've done many times before to back up information. Something's up because both drives seem to be bricked. At the moment that is.

• If you look disk.jpg you'll see the drives highlighted clearly showing "Online".
    • Then in cmd.jpg, again highlighted "disks" & associated "volume" information. Notice how the volumes say "offline".
    • Finally in format.jpg, you see the Disk Management error popup when trying to format Disk 5. Same thing for the other disk.

Attempted: I've tried numerous things in Disk Management such as: a) deleting the volume, b) reassigning a simple volume, c) assigning a drive letter. In powershell, same attempts just in command line/powershell. Mainly attempting to convert these offline volumes to online using:

Code: "select disk 2", "offline disk" | diskpart[/quote]
    and to put it back online:
    Code: "select disk 2", "online disk" | diskpart[/quote] No change. Unable to reformat & use either drive. Active/Healthy partitions w/ assigned letters or not.

Any ideas on how I might recover these disks? It's unclear if beforehand these were "dynamic drives" or not, they show "Basic" now.

Any help is appreciated.

:)

2. GaryWere Win User

Printers, ext HDD not recognised

Upgraded to Windows 10, initially, printers & ext HDD for backup all worked OK. Few days later, all stopped working, nothing visible in Devices window. Subsequently downloaded updates KB3081449, KB3081452 on 28 Aug followed by KB3081448 on 29 Aug. Full
    functionality returned. Backed up on 30 Aug, used printer on 01 Sep; no problems. Today, printers visible in Devices, but marked as offline even thought they are switched on. Ext HDD not visible at all. What's going on and how can I fix it?

GaryWere, May 26, 2019
  3. OOLuigiOo Win User
    Failing HDD and Cloning

You seem intend on this install clean install windows when I have said windows does not run on that drive and TeraCopy doesn't even budge anymore.
    for moving files from that drive. Then there are those that have suggested imaging and 1 or 2 that talked about cloning software.

I now have 3 HDDs left...

So nothing is copying, no cloning and imaging, now what?

OOLuigiOo, May 26, 2019
  4. EXT HDD Show "Online" but are "Offline" After Clone (Can't Format)

computer stops recognizing 2 ext HDD

I use a 7 year old HP Pavillion desk top and so far it has worked well. I have USB connected 2 ext HDD. One is basic storage and the other is my ext backup HDD. If I try to open a file in either of them, my computer stops recognizing both the ext HDDs causing
    a major problem creating backups. The only way to bring back recognition of the drives is to reboot. I plugged the two HDDs into another computer and they were fine there. How do I fix this?

cameraman32, May 26, 2019
Thema:

EXT HDD Show "Online" but are "Offline" After Clone (Can't Format)

1. EXT HDD Show "Online" but are "Offline" After Clone (Can't Format) - Similar Threads - EXT HDD Show

2. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disconnecting Ext HDD: I always click the lower left Icon to disconnect my Ext HDs, but they always seem to stay busy even though I stop all processes. Is there a way to tell what process is still active & preventing me from disconnecting? Or a way to stop all easily? I end up rebooting after I...
  3. Can't format HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format HDD: SO yeah, I can't format HHD, no way. chkdsk doesn't work, it's RAW, format doesn't work and gives me errors. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-format-hdd/6f2ac8df-6890-4e8a-a850-638e1556a4ef
  4. Can't format HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format HDD: SO yeah, I can't format HHD, no way. chkdsk doesn't work, it's RAW, format doesn't work and gives me errors. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-format-hdd/6f2ac8df-6890-4e8a-a850-638e1556a4ef
  5. Can't format HDD

6. HDD failing on an offline Windows PC. Can I clone the drive without reactivating online?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD failing on an offline Windows PC. Can I clone the drive without reactivating online?: I have an offline Windows PC and its drive is failing. Rather than reinstalling, which would take some time on this PC, I'd like to clone it.Are there any tools or methods to reliably clone a drive with all of its partitions and even from HDD to SSD without having to...
  7. HDD failing on an offline Windows PC. Can I clone the drive without reactivating online?

HDD failing on an offline Windows PC. Can I clone the drive without reactivating online?: I have an offline Windows PC and its drive is failing. Rather than reinstalling, which would take some time on this PC, I'd like to clone it.Are there any tools or methods to reliably clone a drive with all of its partitions and even from HDD to SSD without having to...
  8. New M.2 SSD clone offline and can't bring back online

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New M.2 SSD clone offline and can't bring back online: Hi, Fairly new to tinkering with the insides so apologies if I seem a little vague at times. I inserted the WD 240gb in the m.2 slot and formatted it using disk management tool. I formatted it as GUID rather than MBR as I read this would be better possibly where i...
  9. Ext HDD Can't remove file

in Windows 10 Support
    Ext HDD Can't remove file: Win10 1903 64 On my Ext HDD I have a windows.old file that was backed up before. I have tried resetting all the permissions and ownership but no luck. Every time I try to delete it, it begins...gets to 99% and then stops. I even tried moving it back to my pcPC from which it...
  10. Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?: If so, what are my options? This HDD came from HP w/Win 7. I upgraded it to Win 10 but would like to clone it to the SSD for the speed increase. Thanks in advance, jeff 40208