Windows 10: Ext USB Drive Folders Empty after BSOD

Discus and support Ext USB Drive Folders Empty after BSOD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a BSOD yesterday while unplugging a USB camera from an active USB extension cable connected to my PC. The system rebooted and everything seemed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by M A Weiss, Feb 21, 2021.

1. M A Weiss Win User

Ext USB Drive Folders Empty after BSOD

I had a BSOD yesterday while unplugging a USB camera from an active USB extension cable connected to my PC.

The system rebooted and everything seemed fine.

Until today when I attempted to back up some files to my 8TB Seagate USB drive which is connected to this PC.

The folder structure is there, but all of the folders are empty.

Properties shows the drive about 45% occupied.

Scan says the drive has nothing wrong and does not need to be scanned.

I am thinking that the BSOD corrupted the GPT file table somehow and that the files are there, but the table is wiped out.

Is there a way to recover it?

:)

M A Weiss, Feb 21, 2021
  2. Mohan B P Win User

Toshiba Ext Hard Drive

Hi Tony,

I realize that you are facing the issue connecting the external hard drive in Windows 10, let me assist you.

To assist you better, let us know the following details.

• Which build of Windows 10 is installed in your system?
    • What is the make and model of your system?
    • Do other USB devices are getting connected to the system?

As an initial step if troubleshooting, I suggest you to try connecting the external hard drive through different USB ports and check if it is getting detected, also try connecting the same external hard drive to a different Windows 10 system.

Also, connect the external hard drive to the system and check whether the device is shown in Device Manager.

• Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press
      Enter key.
    • Click on View option and click on Show hidden devices.
    • Check whether the device is shown.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Feb 21, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Ext USB Drive Folders Empty after BSOD - Similar Threads - Ext USB Drive

2. Empty folders disappear from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Empty folders disappear from USB Drive: Hi, Empty folders gets delete from any USB drive in the computer.If I create a folder on the drive, it gets instantly removedI can copy folders to the drive no problem, but if they are empty, they get deleted.There is no problem if the folders are not empty, then they work...
  3. Empty folders disappear from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Empty folders disappear from USB Drive: Hi, Empty folders gets delete from any USB drive in the computer.If I create a folder on the drive, it gets instantly removedI can copy folders to the drive no problem, but if they are empty, they get deleted.There is no problem if the folders are not empty, then they work...
  4. Empty folders disappear from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Folder empty after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder empty after update: I just restarted my computer as a part of a Windows update and a seemingly random folder is now empty. I'm checking other folders but so far have not found any others. It was a folder in my pictures folder that contained sub folders and video and picture files. Documents,...
  6. Folder empty after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Folder empty after update: I just restarted my computer as a part of a Windows update and a seemingly random folder is now empty. I'm checking other folders but so far have not found any others. It was a folder in my pictures folder that contained sub folders and video and picture files. Documents,...
  7. Modifying WindowsApps Folder ox Ext Drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Modifying WindowsApps Folder ox Ext Drive: Hi. I've been battling for hours to get read/write access to my WindowsApps folder on an external drive. I need to run a patch for RE7 from the root directory to get it to work on my PC but the permissions just won't give me access. I've got visibility of the folders and...
  8. One Drive - empty folders

One Drive - empty folders: Background: I have been having issued with my outlook. So IT department says "they have to do a 1909 update and if that doesn't fix it then they will do a reimage." So first, they wanted me to copy all my docs from my computer to OneDrive. Worked great. for about 2 weeks...
  9. One Drive folders empty

One Drive folders empty: Hi , I am in a terrible state as my One Drive folders are there but are empty inside. Please can someone help? Thanks Lynne https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-folders-empty/edb3e80d-0567-4425-b90b-d86065ad9904
  10. App To Find Empty Folders on Ext. 2TB Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App To Find Empty Folders on Ext. 2TB Drive: A Google search seemed to come up with quite a few scripts as well as CMD instructions but if I can I would like to avoid that procedure since no telling what kind of damage I could cause : ) I followed one instruction that had me just use the Search function in explorer and...