Windows 10: Ext. USB HD no longer mounts

Discus and support Ext. USB HD no longer mounts in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It is a 2 TB Western Digital Elements USB hard drive. It used to be divided into two partitions which worked perfectly. I than wanted to re-combine the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Stevekir, May 30, 2019.

1. Stevekir Win User

Ext. USB HD no longer mounts

It is a 2 TB Western Digital Elements USB hard drive. It used to be divided into two partitions which worked perfectly. I than wanted to re-combine the two partitions into one. I went into DiscManagement and deleted each partition. I expected to mount it again as a single 2 TB drive but there is no sign of it. I unplugged the drive and re-plugged it in. I switched off the computer for 20 seconds and re-started.

How can I get my ext. USB drive to mount as one 2 TB drive please? Thanks.

:)

Stevekir, May 30, 2019

2. used a ext hd as a storage space. want to convert it back to being a ext hd. how???

Hi Nathaniel, thanks for your help. Unfortunately I do not get " prepare for removal" all I get is "rename". There is nothing on the drive of any use. It is a 1TB EXT HD USB and I just want to return it to it's original state as a HD. Would be great if you
    could help.

frankcoulter1&, May 30, 2019
  3. used a ext hd as a storage space. want to convert it back to being a ext hd. how???

Used a ext hd as a storage space. Want to convert it back to being a ext hd. There does not seem to be a way to do this. Does anyone know how? In windows 10.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

frankcoulter1&, May 30, 2019
  4. Ext. USB HD no longer mounts

Windows 10 & Seagate Ext HD Back-up +

Installed Windows 10 and my Seagate Ext HD, Back-up + will go to 5% and freeze up. Consequently, nothing is backed up. I spoke with Seagate and they do not have any answer. Any suggestions?

GatorHunter, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Ext. USB HD no longer mounts

1. Ext. USB HD no longer mounts - Similar Threads - Ext USB longer

2. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  3. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  4. Ext. HD Keeps Disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ext. HD Keeps Disappearing: I bought a WD Elements Portable model number WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN. It keeps disappearing and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. I tried these suggestions: Fix WD External Hard Drive Not Working/Recognized/Showing UP Error – EaseUS I also changed the drive letter. But it...
  5. Trouble mounting/unmounting external HD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble mounting/unmounting external HD: I have an external HD that I can mount and access okay, but after some amount of time something goes wrong with it to where I can access folders but they are all listed as empty, and attempting to unmount brings up a windows screen saying the drive is being used by a program....
  6. ?Mount ext drive without unpluging/pluging?

?Mount ext drive without unpluging/pluging?: Win 10 v1803. I have a new external USB 3 hard drive. It is USB powered and has no power switch. I do not want the drive available except when doing a backup so I use the Safely Remove Device facility. However, I can find no way to mount the disk again other than unplugging...
  7. USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow

USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow: So Upgraded (clean full install, of Win 10 Pro x64. I have ext USB 3.0 drives, regular SATA III drives and pretty new. In win 8.1 they were lightning fast. Now in win 10 Pro they are so slow that sometimes the cursor just has a spinning fit. Thats just right clicking on it...
  8. USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow: So Upgraded (clean full install, of Win 10 Pro x64. I have ext USB 3.0 drives, regular SATA III drives and pretty new. In win 8.1 they were lightning fast. Now in win 10 Pro they are so slow that sometimes the cursor just has a spinning fit. Thats just right clicking on it...
  9. 8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??

8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??: I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 and am looking at this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate...?skuId=5512100 Elsewhere it says that it comes with a Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1) connector. Is this the connector that plugs into the back of the drive and then on the other...
  10. Ext USB HD's will not mount

Ext USB HD's will not mount: Have 2 Seagate SRD00F2 3TB USB ext hard drives in a mirror configuration using MS Storage Spaces. Were working when I shut down yesterday, but would not work this morning. Drives do not show up in Device Manager. However, when starting the drives after boot, two entries show...