Windows 10: Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup?

Discus and support Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have an SSD for my system and a regular (1TB) disk for data. I have a partition on the regular disk for an image backup but when I tried to create a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by miken707, Aug 5, 2019.

1. miken707 Win User

Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup?

I have an SSD for my system and a regular (1TB) disk for data. I have a partition on the regular disk for an image backup but when I tried to create a new image backup for 1903, it says I need more room. I shrank the D partition and tried to extend the image backup partition. I am getting the following message:

Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup? [​IMG]

Is that a problem?

:)

miken707, Aug 5, 2019

2. partitioning and creating a dynamic partition in order to install win 10?

Below is the snip of the Disk Management screen.

There is only Win 7 on c:/ drive and the several programs. Not much data except that contained in 2 OneDrives I have and so in the cloud also.

I have 1024 MG of unallocated disk space which I created to hopefully use to extend the Partition into.

I have an exterior hard rive also as you can see.

The notion for going Dynamic was the concept of extending partition size by allowing it to grow as required by new demands. I figured Win 10 was in need of greater than 100 Mg of partition which I am assuming is Drive B:/ as is displayed.

Let me know what you think...note: I can backup files but not create a System Image to any drive or because the Memory allocated to the Volume required is not enough. (I have had this issue constantly on Win 7.)

Thanks loads...

Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup? 58ed90f1-4ff6-4b81-85c5-e26d71b429c7.jpg

John Anthony Leehane, Aug 5, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag

Why did you configure your disk to be Dynamic ? Only time you'd configure the disk to be dynamic is when you have multiple disks and want to span those disks so Windows would see it as a single volume.

From the screen shot above, you actually span the partitions (150GB + 700GB) into a single volume D: with 2 separate partitions. You did not extend it. In order to extend the disk, the unallocated partition (150GB) must be after the 700GB partition.

Windows defrag will not recognize the disk with the current configuration.

I suggest that you backup the data in Disk 1 then use diskpart to re-initialze it as a basic disk then copy back the data to it,

To use diskpart, Open admin command prompt and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 1
    clean
    create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick
    assign letter=D
    exit

topgundcp, Aug 5, 2019
  4. Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup?

Extending partition in Windows 10 raises "The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s)"

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 alongside Windows 10, however I had to remove it due to some bugs (related to Ubuntu, not Windows). I removed the Ubuntu partitions (279.25 GB) from Disk Management, and now I am left with the situation
    shown in the attached screenshot. I tried to extend the D volume by including the unallocated 279.25 GB. However when I try to extend it I get the warning message "The Operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you
    convert the disk to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s)...." etc.

Now, I do not want to convert the disk to dynamic, as I will probably install another Ubuntu distribution. How can I extend the drive D? Also, I don't know whether the 513 MB volume on Disk 1 (EFI System Partition) was created by
    Ubuntu or not? If yes, should I delete it?

Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup? 9663a477-7557-4b85-8559-a1c7294b62dc?upload=true.png

gianlucamassimiani, Aug 5, 2019
Thema:

Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup?

1. Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup? - Similar Threads - Extend partition creating

2. Extending a partition with a backup set up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extending a partition with a backup set up: Hi!, My backup partition is running out of space and I want to expand it. I went to computer management > disk manager and I freed some space and went to extend disk, then a message popped up saying that it will convert this disk to a dynamic and you won't be able to boot...
  3. Trying to extend new boot partition raises "covert to dynamic disk" warning.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to extend new boot partition raises "covert to dynamic disk" warning.: I recently got an SSD and am wanting to copy over my current C drive contents to it, as to not have to reinstall anything. Using Macrium Reflect I was able to clone the drive onto the SSD, however it also copied the partitions - leaving me with 1.6TB of unallocated space....
  4. How to extend Disk Volume without converting it to Dynamic Disk?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to extend Disk Volume without converting it to Dynamic Disk?: So my D drive(Storage Drive, OS is installed on C) has 100 GB of unallocated space which I would like to merge with my main partition that has 831 GB. But when I try to do so using the wizard, it tells me that it will convert it into Dynamic Disk. I really don't want to...
  5. Extending Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extending Disk Partition: I have reinstalled my Windows on my system switching back from ubuntu. After installing the windows on my PC the Hard disk SSD have partitioned in a weird manner. I have a got a 4.47 GB space at the start of the disk and the EFI partition and then the local disk partition of...
  6. Disk Partition Not Created

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Partition Not Created: I tried to create a new partition on the hard drive 1TB of HP 15-Da0032wm from the Disk Management settings but I do get an error message that the partition cannot be created because there is not enough space even though I still have more than 700GB of free space....
  7. Extend Disk partition

Extend Disk partition: Hi i want to extend disk my c drive with a free 48 gb space. but i cannot do that. The extend option is greyed out and i cannot also delete the free disk space. pictures of it are bellow. Please help me increase the disk space. Thank you.[ATTACH]...
  8. Disk space problem, do I extend partition?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk space problem, do I extend partition?: Hi everyone, not sure why I keep getting the error message on my new laptop that space is running out. Please see below and advise if possible. Thanks [img] 114351
  9. Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk

Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk: [Apologies if I have posed this in the wrong place; thanks for moving it if necessary!] - Good morning Folks! *Smile I thought this would be simple: 1TB HDD with Two 500GB Partitions E: & Z:. Having available space in E: and needing more in Z: I performed a "Shrink" on...
  10. Problems creating Windows system image backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problems creating Windows system image backups: I've been trying to create system image backups using the Windows backup utility. (A waste of time, perhaps, since I have Acronis TI 2015 that seems to work without any problem, but I consider this part of getting familiar with Windows 10.) The backup creation worked fine...