Windows 10: Extend Partition Option Grayed Out in Disk Management

Discus and support Extend Partition Option Grayed Out in Disk Management in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just added a solid state drive to my computer, cloned my hard drive and copied everything to my SSD. My old drive has a capacity of 160 GB and my new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OriginalDylan2, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Extend Partition Option Grayed Out in Disk Management

I just added a solid state drive to my computer, cloned my hard drive and copied everything to my SSD. My old drive has a capacity of 160 GB and my new drive has a capacity of 240 GB. I successfully booted from my new SSD, but for some reason the cloning software left 74 GB unallocated. I tried to use the "extend volume" option by right clicking on the C: partition, but the option is grayed out.

Here is a screenshot of my Disk Management window.

https://imgur.com/a/gjAtFOb

What can I do to add my unallocated space to my C: partition?

:)

OriginalDylan2, Jun 2, 2020

2. Extending partitions

For some reason there's a 5gb unallocated space on my Velociraptor and I can't seem to extend it on the primary partition. And I thought disk management was a phail.

spearman914, Jun 2, 2020
  3. Extending partitions

Extend partition on disk management!

B1gg3stN00b, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Extend Partition Option Grayed Out in Disk Management

Extend Volume in disk managment not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Since when did the issue started appearing?

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• Do you receive any error code or error message on the screen?

I suggest you to follow the exact steps mentioned below and check if you are able to perform the action.

• Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".

• In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu

• Locate your system partition — that’s probably the C: partition. Right-click on it and select “Shrink Volume.” If you have multiple partitions on your hard drive, you could also choose to resize a different partition to free up
      space.
    Check if it helps.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Extend Partition Option Grayed Out in Disk Management

1. Extend Partition Option Grayed Out in Disk Management - Similar Threads - Extend Partition Option

2. Unable to extend volume of a partition in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to extend volume of a partition in Disk Management: Hello, recently I have deleted a partition on my SSD that was containing another operating system. I did this to expand the size of my Windows partition to install some more games. However, I was unable to extend the volume of my main partition because the "Extend Volume"...
  3. Unable to extend volume of a partition in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to extend volume of a partition in Disk Management: Hello, recently I have deleted a partition on my SSD that was containing another operating system. I did this to expand the size of my Windows partition to install some more games. However, I was unable to extend the volume of my main partition because the "Extend Volume"...
  4. Extend volume grayed out.

Extend volume grayed out.: I have 930gb unallocated, formatted NTFS, shown as DISK 0 / basic.Windows C; is on DISK 1 / Dynamic. Cannot Extend volume C; . Option grayed out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume-grayed-out/8bcdabd8-c73c-4f61-ba43-85cafad0cfab
  5. EXTEND VOLUME GRAYED OUT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EXTEND VOLUME GRAYED OUT: Hi...I'm trying to extend the volume C drive and it is grayed out. I check on the web then I found there should be unallocated space then I make shrink volume from the D drive as unallocated space.os: win 10os is installed on C driveplease help....
  6. EXTEND VOLUME GRAYED OUT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXTEND VOLUME GRAYED OUT: Hi...I'm trying to extend the volume C drive and it is grayed out. I check on the web then I found there should be unallocated space then I make shrink volume from the D drive as unallocated space.os: win 10os is installed on C driveplease help....
  7. EXTEND VOLUME GRAYED OUT

8. How do I expand system partition? Using disk management the option is grayed-out

How do I expand system partition? Using disk management the option is grayed-out: When I installed windows I partitioned the disk to 2 partitions, for system, apps etc C: and for my data D: but I only gave 120 GB for C and the rest of 500 for DI tried shrinking the D with disk management and it was successful but then tried to expand C and the option for...
  9. Extend Volume grayed out

Extend Volume grayed out: Can't figure out how to get Extend Partition to work on Windows 10. I tried deleting the extra partition and formatting it as Windows. I am the Administrator when I do this. Can you tell from the attached screenshot what I am missing? [ATTACH]...
  10. "Extend VOlume" is grayed out

"Extend VOlume" is grayed out: How to open "Extend Volume" when it is grayed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume-is-grayed-out/c161d1a0-ec45-406b-a353-78e86ebf5c13"