Windows 10: Extend partition that is next to unallocated space

Discus and support Extend partition that is next to unallocated space in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I have a 250 GB D: drive 50 GB E: drive and I want to extend the E: drive. Problem is when I shrink the D: drive I cannot extend the E: drive since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/al-herbi, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Extend partition that is next to unallocated space

So I have a 250 GB D: drive 50 GB E: drive and I want to extend the E: drive.

Problem is when I shrink the D: drive I cannot extend the E: drive since it comes after the unallocated space. The only way I see this possible is to make a partition F: copy all data from E: to F: then delete E: and extend D:

Is there a better solution?

If I copy my entire drive using ctrl+c and ctrl+v will that work? Or will I need special software to do that too?

submitted by /u/al-herbi
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/al-herbi, Jun 16, 2020
  2. UserTen Win User

Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition

Okay...thanks. Will look at it tomorrow. FYI, I figured out how to get that unformatted G partition back into D.

In Disk Management, I right clicked G and selected "Delete Volume." That rendered the partition as unallocated. I was then able to extend D with that space.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Extend partition that is next to unallocated space [​IMG]

UserTen, Jun 16, 2020
  3. Extend system partition with unallocated space

Hallo!

I am trying to extend the system partition with unallocated space.

How do I merge those two together in order to increase the space on the system partition?

The unallocated space was created with the help of "ease us partition manager".

I have a system reserved partition which was far to big. So I unallocated the space I did not require in order to add it to the system partition where WIN10 is located.

How do I do that?

After starting "diskmgmt.msc" I am not able to increase space by "right click" on the system partition and "click" on "Extend volume".

Any reply is appreciated

J. Thomas Lund, Jun 16, 2020
  4. RejZoR Win User

Extend partition that is next to unallocated space

Partition space

You're not understanding this. Unallocated space is NOT equal as (partitioned) empty space.

Unallocated space means empty RAW sectors on HDD. Empty space means an already allocated file system (either FAT32 or NTFS or any other) that is not occupied by any data.

So in your case, as DanTheBanjoman already suggested, don't try to shrink "unallocated space", extend the main (C*Smile Extend partition that is next to unallocated space :) partition instead. You can't shrink something that doesn't exist (unallocated space), but you can extend the existing partition over unallocated space.
    So, just select the C: partition and extend it further. Program should automatically allow you to do that. I'm not using Partition Magic, but i usually done this with either:
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free - manage and resize disk partitions (also for 64bit OS!)

or

EaseUS Partition Master - manage disk partitions (only for 32bit OS!)

RejZoR, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Extend partition that is next to unallocated space

1. Extend partition that is next to unallocated space - Similar Threads - Extend partition next

2. Cannot extend c drive partition WITH free adjacent unallocated space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot extend c drive partition WITH free adjacent unallocated space: Whilst I am able to create a new partition, the option to extend the c drive partition is grayed out. I have not yet tried 3rd party tools. All feedback welcome...
  3. Cannot extend c drive partition WITH free adjacent unallocated space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot extend c drive partition WITH free adjacent unallocated space: Whilst I am able to create a new partition, the option to extend the c drive partition is grayed out. I have not yet tried 3rd party tools. All feedback welcome...
  4. Can't extend C: drive partition while having unallocated space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't extend C: drive partition while having unallocated space: I'm not able to extend my C: drive even when I'm having 100 GB of unallocated space. Doing right click on C drive, extend partition option is grade out. Can anyone tell me how to proceed next ?...
  5. Can't extend C: drive partition while having unallocated space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't extend C: drive partition while having unallocated space: I'm not able to extend my C: drive even when I'm having 100 GB of unallocated space. Doing right click on C drive, extend partition option is grade out. Can anyone tell me how to proceed next ?...
  6. Can't extend C: drive partition while having unallocated space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cannot Extend Disk in to Unallocated space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Extend Disk in to Unallocated space: [ATTACH] I want to extend D: into the 74gigs of Unallocated space. If i **** the drive by making it Dynamic how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-extend-disk-in-to-unallocated-space/54319428-4838-41cd-bda6-3600734680fb"
  8. Disk Partition Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Partition Unallocated Space: [ATTACH]Hi team, I recently tried installing windows 7 and during installation, I got the message that Windows can't get installed on the selected disk due to MBR style. I converted the MBR style to GPT style by allocating 100Gb to selected Disk 0. Now after...
  9. Can't extend windows 10 partition into unallocated space

Can't extend windows 10 partition into unallocated space: Hi all, Until recently, I ran a dual boot system with Ubuntu - but for business reasons, I uninstalled it (along with it's bootloader). Anyway, I cleared up the hard drive space in the Disk Management app on windows 10, I have about 350GB free space from Ubuntu and I...
  10. Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition

Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition: I just cloned my 250 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD and installed the 500 GB SSD into my laptop. There is about 228 GB that is unallocated. I want to extend the D partition to use all of this unallocated space (unless it's a good idea to leave some space unallocated)? I've...