Windows 10: Extend Volume C:

Discus and support Extend Volume C: in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My C: partition is full and Will not extend through Disk Management. Windows 10 operation system is located on C: and will not update because the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavePHodges2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Extend Volume C:

My C: partition is full and Will not extend through Disk Management. Windows 10 operation system is located on C: and will not update because the drive is full. I am able to shrink my 1 terabyte D: drive but cannot expand C:. Is it possible to move the Windows 10 operating system and other program files to D:?

:)

DavePHodges2, Apr 2, 2020

2. How to extend C partition

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the information provided.

Please to inform you that you need to have an “unallocated disk space” to the right of the Partition\Volume you wish to extend on the same drive. Only when “unallocated disk space” is available “extend” option is highlighted.

I suggest you to try these steps and check if they helps.

Step1: Press Windows + R and Diskmgmt.msc and try the following

a. Right click the basic volume want to extend.

b. Click extend volume.

c. Follow the instruction on the screen.

Step2: Open a command prompt and type diskpart.

At the DISKPART prompt, type list volume. Make note of the basic volume you want to extend.

At the DISKPART prompt, type select volume <volumenumber>. This selects the basic volume volumenumber that you want to extend into contiguous, empty space on the same disk.

At the DISKPART prompt, type extend [size=<size>]. This extends the selected volume by size megabytes (MB).

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sudharshan M K, Apr 2, 2020
  3. OS (CExtend Volume C: :) Drive - Extending the Volume

I've recently purchased a new laptop and came across a problem regarding the storage volume. It seems there's an arbitrary partition where C: drive has 100GB allocated and the remaining 900GB+ is unallocated. When I tried to extend the volume of C: to include
    the 900GB, the option to extend the volume was grayed out and unusable.

Unfortunately, I just don't know enough to figure out why all that space is unallocated and why I can't extend the volume of the C: drive. Searching for the answer yielded a lot of suggestions for third-party software, but I'd like to avoid that solution
    if possible. Are there any other options?

Raseleanne, Apr 2, 2020
  4. -xKevin- Win User

Extend Volume C:

How to extend C partition

I don't understand stemp 2. What's the volume number for C:? What do I put for [size=<size>]?

-xKevin-, Apr 2, 2020
Thema:

Extend Volume C:

1. Extend Volume C: - Similar Threads - Extend Volume

2. Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA: I want to partition my C: drive, but the available shrink volume size is very less even when is have around 900GB of free storage. I have already tried disabling the header, pager and system recovery file. It didn't work.The error in event viewer is given as: The last...
  3. Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA: I want to partition my C: drive, but the available shrink volume size is very less even when is have around 900GB of free storage. I have already tried disabling the header, pager and system recovery file. It didn't work.The error in event viewer is given as: The last...
  4. Extend Volume wizard tells me no available space on my D: disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extend Volume wizard tells me no available space on my D: disk: Hi - I use Windows 10 and am trying to get more space on my C: drive to try and improve performance and more importantly prevent messages telling me there's not enough free space to do system updates etc... I'm following the instructions in this although confusingly this is...
  5. Extend Volume wizard tells me no available space on my D: disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend Volume wizard tells me no available space on my D: disk: Hi - I use Windows 10 and am trying to get more space on my C: drive to try and improve performance and more importantly prevent messages telling me there's not enough free space to do system updates etc... I'm following the instructions in this although confusingly this is...
  6. Extend Volume wizard tells me no available space on my D: disk

7. C“”The C drive cannot perform the "Extend Volume" operation gray

C“”The C drive cannot perform the "Extend Volume" operation gray: Ms“-“The comparison operation has been carried out according to Ms's official "Disk Management-Expand Basic Volume" entry, but it is invalid.......But I can't upload pictures as explanations. This may be due to many reasons... I can only describe them in words.CDNTFS20GBMy C...
  8. C“”The C drive cannot perform the "Extend Volume" operation gray

C“”The C drive cannot perform the "Extend Volume" operation gray: Ms“-“The comparison operation has been carried out according to Ms's official "Disk Management-Expand Basic Volume" entry, but it is invalid.......But I can't upload pictures as explanations. This may be due to many reasons... I can only describe them in words.CDNTFS20GBMy C...
  9. C“”The C drive cannot perform the "Extend Volume" operation gray

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. How can I extend a drive when Extend Volume in Disk Management is greyed out?

How can I extend a drive when Extend Volume in Disk Management is greyed out?: Windows 10I had two partitions on my computer C and D, I want to delete D and Extend C to include the space in D.I followed the instructions for using Disk Management and deleted the D Drive, when I went to extend the C drive 'Extend Partition' is greyed out....