Windows 10: Extend volume greyed out

Discus and support Extend volume greyed out in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My set up is shown in the attached image [ATTACH] C drive hold the OS M drive data I have recently changed C drive to a bigger disk and restored... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnTelespher, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Extend volume greyed out

My set up is shown in the attached image

Extend volume greyed out 57b1d2d8-0f98-4ae0-a015-1c6d07a987c6?upload=true.jpg

C drive hold the OS

M drive data

I have recently changed C drive to a bigger disk and restored an image from the old set up.

However I could not extend C drive volume to claim 113.63 GB Unallocated volume as “ Extend volume” is greyed out

Extend volume greyed out 72fc70dd-e3ae-49d4-bd26-bba09aafacd9?upload=true.jpg Please help

thanks

John

:)

JohnTelespher, Feb 18, 2019
  2. Moose Win User

Extending volume problems

I cannot extend my volumes in Disk Management or diskpart.exe, the option is greyed out. Is it because the partition is at the end of the disk? If so how to fix?
    The attachment has a screeny.

Moose, Feb 18, 2019
  3. Carson270 Win User
    "Extend Volume" Greyed Out

Hi,

I'm currently on windows 8.1, and my CExtend volume greyed out :Drive (150gb) is now pretty much full. I have a DExtend volume greyed out :Drive with 750 GB available which I don't use but is on the same basic drive, (no idea why it was configured like that initially) and so I shrunk the volume of the D
    Drive to 500 GB which left 250 GB unallocated. Now when I click on the CExtend volume greyed out :Drive to extend the volume, the option is greyed out although there is plenty of space unallocated. Any help would be appreciated.

Carson270, Feb 18, 2019
  4. Ethan B. Win User

Extend volume greyed out

"Extend Volume" Greyed Out

Hello Carson,

Unfortunately you can only commit changes to volumes within their own respective drives. For example, when you shrink a volume on Drive 1 leaving with some unallocated space, Drive 2 can't extend with that unallocated space from Drive 1.

In general, when you try to extend a volume in Drive 1 (which is I assume the same drive that Windows is on?) disallows any changes to be committed because it is the same drive that Windows is running on.

If you mean to say that in the same drive that you pick a volume to extend to some unallocated space, it can work if it is not the drive that you've booted from.

Otherwise if you've booted from Windows with that drive, you'll need a flash drive and the Media Creation Tool to create installation media to use DiskPart in order to expand these volumes:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Learn more about how to extend a volume using allocated space here under "To extend a basic volume using a command line":

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server...

I hope this helps, Carson. If you have any additional concerns, feel free to shoot a reply and I will get back to you.

Ethan B., Feb 18, 2019
Thema:

Extend volume greyed out

1. Extend volume greyed out - Similar Threads - Extend volume greyed

2. Unable to extend volume greyed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to extend volume greyed out: I have a new 4TB external drive that I bought to replace a failing 2TB one. I used DiskGenius to clone the old drive to the new one, which has worked, but left the new drive with a size of 2TB instead of 4TB. I can see the unallocated space in Disk Management, but it won't...
  3. Unable to extend volume greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to extend volume greyed out: I have a new 4TB external drive that I bought to replace a failing 2TB one. I used DiskGenius to clone the old drive to the new one, which has worked, but left the new drive with a size of 2TB instead of 4TB. I can see the unallocated space in Disk Management, but it won't...
  4. Unable to extend volume greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Extend Volume greyed out, problem not seen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend Volume greyed out, problem not seen: My C: drive is full, I've deleted a load of random things to try and empty it out, Storage Sense won't work either, and I can't even use any unallocated space to fix it.Unless someone's had a similar problem, I don't know what to do and this is probably gonna persist until I...
  6. Extend Volume greyed out, problem not seen

Extend Volume greyed out, problem not seen: My C: drive is full, I've deleted a load of random things to try and empty it out, Storage Sense won't work either, and I can't even use any unallocated space to fix it.Unless someone's had a similar problem, I don't know what to do and this is probably gonna persist until I...
  7. Extend Volume greyed out, problem not seen

8. extend volume button greyed out

extend volume button greyed out: hello,i just reformat my hp laptop that has a Toshiba hdd drive, but the problem is that i found that my hdd drive was sliced into two partitions,now if i go to disk manager then delete the partition that empty, then go to extend the volume of my c drive the extend volume...
  9. Extend volume in Disk Management, greyed out

Extend volume in Disk Management, greyed out: 1. Previously, I deleted the New Volume D: using Delete Volume, in Disk Management. Then I restarted the PC. Unallocated space of 488.28 GB was visible, but Extend Volume option was greyed out after right-clicking on OS C:.2. In Control Panel\System and Security\BitLocker...
  10. Extend volume is greyed out

Extend volume is greyed out: Dear sir/mam, I would like to extend volume G, with the 244.14 GB of unallocated space. But the extend volume option is greyed out on the G drive. How can I extend the volume of the G drive with unallocated space? I have searched on the web. Find some results that are...