Windows 10: Extended Cortana Menu

Discus and support Extended Cortana Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use a Microsoft Account to sign into at least 3 home PC's using the latest normal build of Window 10. On only 1 PC/Laptop ... i have somehow managed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tentimes, Sep 22, 2018.

1. tentimes Win User

Extended Cortana Menu

I use a Microsoft Account to sign into at least 3 home PC's using the latest normal build of Window 10.

On only 1 PC/Laptop ... i have somehow managed to make the Cortana Menu (Windows Key + Q), extended ... so that it offers additional options for anything including APPs ... and not just web search options.

Searching around the web finds useless results.

Does anyone else have this and know how to enable/disable

Extended Cortana Menu [​IMG]

and also

:)

tentimes, Sep 22, 2018
  2. ticoneva Win User

Extending the Functions of Windows 10’s Cortana

Cortana is quite capable, but there are times when I wish it has more features. For example, I really wanted to be able to lock my computer with a single voice command, but Cortana does not have this function built in. Fortunately, it is possible to extend Cortana's function. To do so, we make use of the fact that Cortana searches through the start menu shortcuts when you say the keyword "open" or "launch".

Here are the steps to create a command to lock your computer:

1. Create a shortcut in an accessible location such as the desktop. This can be achieved by pressing the right mouse button and select [New]->[Shortcut].
    2. For the location of the item, enter: %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
    3. Give the shortcut a natural name, which is what Cortana will look for when you speak to her. Since Cortana utilitizes natural language processing, it is much better at recognizing phrases that actually make sense.
    4. Copy the newly created shortcut to: %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. You will need administrative privileges to complete this step.
    If all goes well, you should be able to lock your computer by saying "hey Cortana, open lock computer".

You can create similar commands to hibernate or sleep your computer. Just change the location of the item accordingly:

• Hibernate: %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep
    • Sleep: You need PSTools from Microsoft. Set item location as: [Location of PSTools]\psshutdown.exe -d -t 0

Another thing you can do is to create a command to open a website. You might think that this would be as simple as adding an internet shortcut to the start menu, but turns out it is more complicated than that: while Cortana keeps a record of internet shortcuts created through installation of programs, she does not do so with ones that are added manually. Furthermore, she does not index shortcuts that have non-executable extensions, meaning that you cannot use "chrome.exe gmail.com", because this would be recognized as having a ".com" extension.

Here is how to get around this issue:

1. Create a text file and type in it "start " followed by the URL you want to open.
    2. Change the extension of the text file to ".bat"
    3. Create a shortcut that points to the file you just created and follow the aforementioned steps.
    For example, I have created a shortcut called "Gmail" that points to a "Gmail.bat" that executes "start http://www.gmail.com". With this, Cortana would open Gmail with my computer's default browser when I say "Hey Cortana, open Gmail".

Upon creating the shortcuts, you might notice that the default icon is quite uninformative. You can pick a better one after you created the shortcut by right-clicking on the icon, click [Properties], followed by clicking [Change Icon...]. Enter one of the following in "Look for icons in this file" textbox, where you should find a lot of icons to choose from:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll
    %SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll

So here you go, try it out!

ticoneva, Sep 23, 2018
  3. Start menu and Cortana not working

Hi Philip,

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested in the help article below and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Sep 23, 2018
  4. Arul_D Win User

Extended Cortana Menu

Windows 10 Pro -- No Start Menu/Page, No Cortana (after update?)

Hello Christine,

Apologize for the delay in response.

• What is the exact issue you are facing with?

• Are you facing issues with Start menu and Cortana?

• Did you try creating a new user account?
    If you are facing issues with Start menu and Cortana, suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below article and check if it helps.

Refer to the below Link:

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Reply us back with the required information. We will be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Sep 23, 2018
Thema:

Extended Cortana Menu

1. Extended Cortana Menu - Similar Threads - Extended Cortana Menu

2. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  3. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  4. Cortana in alt-tab menu

in Cortana
    Cortana in alt-tab menu: I like using Cortana but when press alt-tab I see Cortana there. I do not want to see Cortana window in the alt-tab menu. How do I do that? -I use Windows 10 Pro 2004 Version...
  5. start menu and cortana

in Cortana
    start menu and cortana: start menu and cortana do not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-cortana/af6eb818-795d-4653-9bb3-28c3706de982
  6. Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: So for the past couple of months I've been dealing with this issue. I managed to fix a couple of other issues with my computer, mainly wifi driver issues but I still can't open up my start menu or cortana. Another Issue I have are daily blue screens from driver failure fslx....
  7. Extending the Functions of Windows 10’s Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extending the Functions of Windows 10’s Cortana: Cortana is quite capable, but there are times when I wish it has more features. For example, I really wanted to be able to lock my computer with a single voice command, but Cortana does not have this function built in. Fortunately, it is possible to extend Cortana's function....
  8. start menu is not working and cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu is not working and cortana: suddenly my start menu and cortana is not working please help fast 33252
  9. Cortana and Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu Not Working: After the most recent Windows Update, the Start Menu and Cortana stopped working. You can't type in the search bar and can't click on anything in the Start Menu. This is Windows 10 on a Dell XPS that was originally Windows 7. I tried a bunch of things and when I did a sfc...
  10. No Start Menu? No Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu? No Cortana?: Everything was working ABSOLUTELY AWESOMELY with build 10041. As of 7:00 p.m. central time 3/22/2014. Now, I log into my computer this morning and nothing Start is just not working. I can't get into settings (any way that I know) to revert back. Can someone please assist in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana menu is too large

2. cortana extedned