Windows 10: Extended Desktop: dragging window between monitors of differing DPI almost unusable

Discus and support Extended Desktop: dragging window between monitors of differing DPI almost unusable in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; With multiple monitors, dragging a window between monitors of differing DPI is a tragedy and in some cases a strategic exercise to get the window... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bgdurrett, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Extended Desktop: dragging window between monitors of differing DPI almost unusable

With multiple monitors, dragging a window between monitors of differing DPI is a tragedy and in some cases a strategic exercise to get the window usable on another monitor. I’m not sure how any designer got this so wrong, but when the window apparently does not scale to maintain the proportional size, instead switching to the new size when the window is 50%-ish onto the destination monitor.

Running version 2004 of Windows Home on a brand new, Dell XPS 13 7930 2-in-1. Primary display is the laptop, 3840x2400 at 300% scale (recommended), external display is Dell U2719DC 2560 x 1440 at 100% scale (recommended). Windows look fine when on either monitor but keep the source monitor scale until they reach destination, making for gigantic or microscopic windows. Video is Intel Iris Plus, latest drivers.

The result is it can be nearly impossible to drag a window to a different monitor, as the gigantic size means it can't make it far enough to switch to the destination.

I would expect Extended Desktop to do the simple math of considering the screen physical dimensions and the DPI to make the windows consistently sized (Mac has done this since at least 2013, possibly earlier).

I would be grateful if anybody can explain why I am an idiot that missed an obvious setting. Even if that is the case, I am shocked that this is the "out of the box" behavior.

Additional screen shots posted here: https://brett.durrett.net/migrating-back-to-windows-a-high-dpi-tragedy/

submitted by /u/bgdurrett
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bgdurrett, Sep 2, 2020

2. Microsoft Edge on Extended Desktop Monitor

When I start Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 it always starts on my Monitor 1. I can drag it over to the extended desktop on Monitor 2 quite easily but I expect it to start on that monitor the next time I launch it (without having changed monitors or settings
    of course). Other programs do behave this way. Is there a setting I'm missing to get Microsoft edge to start on my extended desktop monitor?

CliffHouse, Sep 2, 2020
  3. Dual monitors with different DPI settings do not give correct scaling

An issue with DPI scaling arises when using two different scaling factors. The screen with the lower DPI display is fuzzy/blurred (most easily seen in text).

Hardware and settings

These are the hardware and settings involved:

• 1x primary 3840x2160 27" monitor with DPI scaling set to 150% (because regular text is unreadable at 27").
    • 1x secondary 1920x1080 24" monitor with DPI scaling set to 100%, displaying blurry text and images at these settings.
    Workarounds

When I use the same DPI scaling on both monitors the display shows correctly. This gives two undesirable workarounds:

• Setting 100% DPI scale on the UHD screen fixes display, but makes text unreadably small on this monitor.
    • Setting 150% DPI scale on the HD screen fixes display, but makes text so large I barely have any screen space left on this monitor.
    Is there per chance a better solution to this problem? Is this a Windows bug or am I using DPI scaling in the wrong way?

EDIT: Here's the system info from dxdiag just in case.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/14/2015, 13:09:59

Machine name: -

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1_st1.151104-1714)

Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)

System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/09/14 21:30:44 Ver: 04.06.05

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8112MB RAM

Page File: 5936MB used, 3454MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

Herman Groenenboom, Sep 2, 2020
  4. 347342 Win User

Extended Desktop: dragging window between monitors of differing DPI almost unusable

Extended Display - can you put one desktop on one monitor and another on a different monitor?

On an Extended Display - can you put one desktop on one monitor and another on a different monitor?

Original Title: multiple desktops

347342, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

Extended Desktop: dragging window between monitors of differing DPI almost unusable

1. Extended Desktop: dragging window between monitors of differing DPI almost unusable - Similar Threads - Extended Desktop dragging

2. Drag & Drop Files between virtual desktops?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag & Drop Files between virtual desktops?: How to drag & drop files between virtual desktops? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-drop-files-between-virtual-desktops/d2d27ef0-a5c8-48b6-af69-4fe9f5041266
  3. Monitor as Extended Desktop?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor as Extended Desktop?: Greetings all, I found a computer that I didn't know I had........hummnn.......It has an ASUS motherboard, win 7, 32bit, as an OS............There is on-board video (PCI type port) which works fine utilizing the typical port (PCI?) from the motherboard. 1).....I want to...
  4. Why is there a huge difference in DPI settings between 145% and 150%?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is there a huge difference in DPI settings between 145% and 150%?: I've had a problem very occasionally with some programs that don't take into account that some people will select a different DPI setting and their text spills over so its not visible. Thankfully this is rare. But I just noticed when I changed from 150% to 145% there was a...
  5. Why is there a huge difference in DPI settings between 145% and 150%?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is there a huge difference in DPI settings between 145% and 150%?: I've had a problem very occasionally with some programs that don't take into account that some people will select a different DPI setting and their text spills over so its not visible. Thankfully this is rare. But I just noticed when I changed from 150% to 145% there was a...
  6. Adjusting multiple monitor positions when DPI is different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adjusting multiple monitor positions when DPI is different: Windows 11 assumes all monitors have the same DPI, so if I try to line up a 1600x1200 monitor with a 1920x1080 monitor side by side, but the 1080 one is physically larger, things don't match up when I move the mouse cursor across. Is there any way to tell Windows the DPI is...
  7. Adjusting multiple monitor positions when DPI is different

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adjusting multiple monitor positions when DPI is different: Windows 11 assumes all monitors have the same DPI, so if I try to line up a 1600x1200 monitor with a 1920x1080 monitor side by side, but the 1080 one is physically larger, things don't match up when I move the mouse cursor across. Is there any way to tell Windows the DPI is...
  8. Dragging windows between dual monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dragging windows between dual monitors: PLEASE NOTE that this problem only began a few weeks ago and NO HARDWARE or SOFTWARE CHANGES were made to the system.Until recently, when I have a window maximized, I could grab it by the title bar and drag it across to the other display. When I did it, the application window...
  9. Monitoring drag & drop between different drives in Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitoring drag & drop between different drives in Windows: Hey! We develop a service and we need it to monitor drag & drop from one drive to another. We looked into a few options and we didn't find any solution, except scanning the whole drive, which takes too long. Can you help us understand the mechanism behind the drag & drop...
  10. Mouse Getting Stuck Dragging Windows Between Monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse Getting Stuck Dragging Windows Between Monitors: This s!@# is driving me insane How do I stop the mouse from getting stuck at the edge of the screen when dragging windows between monitors without: 1.) Moving the mouse faster 2.) Disabling the snap feature all together Windows 10.0.18363 Pro. I've looked all over...