Windows 10: Extending a partition with a backup set up

Discus and support Extending a partition with a backup set up in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi!, My backup partition is running out of space and I want to expand it. I went to computer management > disk manager and I freed some space and went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by adamasks, Apr 3, 2021.

1. adamasks Win User

Extending a partition with a backup set up

Hi!, My backup partition is running out of space and I want to expand it. I went to computer management > disk manager and I freed some space and went to extend disk, then a message popped up saying that it will convert this disk to a dynamic and you won't be able to boot from it.

Is this the correct way to extend this backup volume ? and if it isn't what's the correct way ?

:)

adamasks, Apr 3, 2021

2. How to extend C partition

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the information provided.

Please to inform you that you need to have an “unallocated disk space” to the right of the Partition\Volume you wish to extend on the same drive. Only when “unallocated disk space” is available “extend” option is highlighted.

I suggest you to try these steps and check if they helps.

Step1: Press Windows + R and Diskmgmt.msc and try the following

a. Right click the basic volume want to extend.

b. Click extend volume.

c. Follow the instruction on the screen.

Step2: Open a command prompt and type diskpart.

At the DISKPART prompt, type list volume. Make note of the basic volume you want to extend.

At the DISKPART prompt, type select volume <volumenumber>. This selects the basic volume volumenumber that you want to extend into contiguous, empty space on the same disk.

At the DISKPART prompt, type extend [size=<size>]. This extends the selected volume by size megabytes (MB).

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sudharshan M K, Apr 3, 2021
  3. CDdude55 Win User
    Extended Partition?

I have one drive in Primary Partition(Has the OS on it). And i just got another HDD and set it up in Extended Partition. But was does that exactly do? And will it effect me from upgrading like the CPU or Video Card?

CDdude55, Apr 3, 2021
  4. Berton Win User

Berton, Apr 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Extending a partition with a backup set up - Similar Threads - Extending partition backup

2. Unable to extend partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to extend partition: I am aware that the unallocated space must be immediately after the partition that I want to extend. The default Windows application cannot move partitions, and I prefer not to use third-party apps.I want to implement the solution provided here first answer. But in my case,...
  3. Unable to extend partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to extend partition: I am aware that the unallocated space must be immediately after the partition that I want to extend. The default Windows application cannot move partitions, and I prefer not to use third-party apps.I want to implement the solution provided here first answer. But in my case,...
  4. Trouble Extending Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble Extending Partition: I had ubuntu installed on my PC in dual boot. I delete ubuntu using DISKPART command. But, when I try to extend my HDD space using Disk Management tool, on right clicking, it shows only 'Help' and no 'Extend Volume' option. Please share me with the details how to successfully...
  5. Extend partition

Extend partition: [img] I am planning to replace my HDD with an SSD. I will image the HDD and then restore to the SSD. I have a OEM Recovery partition that I would like to delete after the image has been restored to the SSD. However, I would then like to move the 980MB and extend my C drive...
  6. Extending Primary Partition

Extending Primary Partition: Hi. I noticed my recovery partition was eating up a good 24 GB of my SSD, so I deleted it in Disk Management. However, the Extend Volume option on the primary partition is greyed out, so I am still unable to access the unallocated 24 GB. What must I do to as these 24 GB to my...
  7. Extend Disk partition

Extend Disk partition: Hi i want to extend disk my c drive with a free 48 gb space. but i cannot do that. The extend option is greyed out and i cannot also delete the free disk space. pictures of it are bellow. Please help me increase the disk space. Thank you.[ATTACH]...
  8. Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup?: I have an SSD for my system and a regular (1TB) disk for data. I have a partition on the regular disk for an image backup but when I tried to create a new image backup for 1903, it says I need more room. I shrank the D partition and tried to extend the image backup partition....
  9. Setting up Backup on New HD, but don't want to reformat a partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Setting up Backup on New HD, but don't want to reformat a partition: I haven't yet fully restored Outlook from a recovery. (I did restore it, but I have to recover it again.) In attempting to set up a new backup, the drive has an unformatted primary partition. It may contain the recovery image I need, so I don't want to format it. As a...
  10. Removing Extended Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing Extended Partition: We did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a computer. When it came to the point of deciding what to do to the existing partitions, we attempted to delete all partitions and end up with on unallocated partition. However there were two partitions which we could not remove so we...