Windows 10: extending basic volume issue

Discus and support extending basic volume issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; basic volume C:\ 465GB and needed to extend with WD external Volume. Both C:\ and External Volume are same file system type, "NTFS". But on Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BENJIMG, Jan 6, 2021.

1. BENJIMG Win User

extending basic volume issue

basic volume C:\ 465GB and needed to extend with WD external Volume. Both C:\ and External Volume are same file system type, "NTFS".

But on Disk Management, there was a system volume, "Recovery Partition of 540MB" in between basic C:\ and external volume, and it can't be removed. so extend volume was greyed out.

Can somebody please assist?

:)

BENJIMG, Jan 6, 2021

2. How to extend C partition

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the information provided.

Please to inform you that you need to have an “unallocated disk space” to the right of the Partition\Volume you wish to extend on the same drive. Only when “unallocated disk space” is available “extend” option is highlighted.

I suggest you to try these steps and check if they helps.

Step1: Press Windows + R and Diskmgmt.msc and try the following

a. Right click the basic volume want to extend.

b. Click extend volume.

c. Follow the instruction on the screen.

Step2: Open a command prompt and type diskpart.

At the DISKPART prompt, type list volume. Make note of the basic volume you want to extend.

At the DISKPART prompt, type select volume <volumenumber>. This selects the basic volume volumenumber that you want to extend into contiguous, empty space on the same disk.

At the DISKPART prompt, type extend [size=<size>]. This extends the selected volume by size megabytes (MB).

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sudharshan M K, Jan 6, 2021
  3. Jizzler Win User
    Extending volume problems

Looks like you'll need to go dynamic.

Jizzler, Jan 6, 2021
  4. -xKevin- Win User

How to extend C partition

I don't understand stemp 2. What's the volume number for C:? What do I put for [size=<size>]?

-xKevin-, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

1. extending basic volume issue - Similar Threads - extending basic volume

2. extending a volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    extending a volume: the volume i am currently on c: try to extend using the 11.72 gb unallocated space. it doesnt seem to work, though i can extend 'osdisk' fineproblem is not that i am using the drive because even when i boot off a usb and go to diskpart still no workthank you...
  3. extending a volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extending a volume: the volume i am currently on c: try to extend using the 11.72 gb unallocated space. it doesnt seem to work, though i can extend 'osdisk' fineproblem is not that i am using the drive because even when i boot off a usb and go to diskpart still no workthank you...
  4. Extend volume issue

Extend volume issue: hello, i have this problem, i was running out of space on my c disc and d disc wasn't really important to me so i decided to shrink d disc a little so i could extend c disc, but now "extend volume" button on c disc is greyed out, how do i fix this issue?...
  5. Extend volume issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend volume issue: hello, i have this problem, i was running out of space on my c disc and d disc wasn't really important to me so i decided to shrink d disc a little so i could extend c disc, but now "extend volume" button on c disc is greyed out, how do i fix this issue?...
  6. Extend volume issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Extend volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extend volume: I'm want to extend my c: drive but having issues. Here is a screenshot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume/48060d35-90da-4229-8748-ea749516cd30
  8. Extend volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extend volume: I'm want to extend my c: drive but having issues. Here is a screenshot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume/48060d35-90da-4229-8748-ea749516cd30
  9. Extend Volume

Extend Volume: So i just partitioned my flash drive since i used it as a bootable drive and now i can no longer extend the volume even if i already deleted the volume of the partition that i just created...
  10. extend volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    extend volume: how do i extend volume c[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume/1ca80719-8e40-4a58-ac61-c853a48c441a