Windows 10: Extending C: on Disk 1 to unallocated space problems

Discus and support Extending C: on Disk 1 to unallocated space problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I fear my lack of knowledge might be creating a problem. Trying to help a friend with his W10 system. Disk 1 had partitions C: (System,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by brucemc777, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Extending C: on Disk 1 to unallocated space problems

I fear my lack of knowledge might be creating a problem.

Trying to help a friend with his W10 system.

Disk 1 had partitions C: (System, boot,Page,...), and D:

Instead of moving some data to D: he wanted the space D: occupied to be merged into C:

I had him first verify that anything he needed on D: was backed up, then using Disk Management, we selected "Delete Volume"

The area which was D: is now showing as "Unallocated Space"

Now C: does not allow (Grayed out) Extend Volume.

Where did i go wrong?, and what remedies exist, please!

Thank-you folks!

:)

brucemc777, Aug 23, 2019

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Aug 23, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CExtending C: on Disk 1 to unallocated space problems :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Aug 23, 2019
  4. Extending C: on Disk 1 to unallocated space problems

How to extend C: drive to claim unallocated space?

My verified solution to dealing with unallocated space on a disk (Windows operating system):

1. BACK YOUR STUFF UP.
    2. When the unallocated space is not immediately next to the partition you want to extend, Disk Management falls short on the task. Install the free third-party tool MiniTool Partition Wizard, which seems to have good support and is kept up to date. It's a standalone application that doesn't require any booting from a CD.
    3. Run the program as administrator (recommended here).
    4. This step involves moving partitions around. We want the C: partition to be immediately next to the unallocated space.
      1. Right click on the partition currently next to the unallocated space, blocking the way. Select Move/Resize.
      2. In the block labeled Size And Location, there will be a slider. It's unintuitive, but it represents where your partition lives in memory. Drag the center of the slider all the way to the other side (of the unallocated space), making sure none of the byte sizes change (obviously we want the location to change). Click OK.
      3. Changes haven't occurred yet. Click Apply at the top. Follow the instructions.
      4. Repeat these steps for any other blocking partitions.
    5. Go back into Disk Management (or use the wizard...) and extend the volume.
    6. Reboot for good measure to make sure things still work.

Some notes about my solution in particular --
    I had a partition next to my C: drive that didn't have any recognizable file system format. I'm fairly sure it was a leftover of un-dual-booting a Linux OS long ago. I deleted it and everything was fine.

Josh Detwiler, Aug 23, 2019
Thema:

Extending C: on Disk 1 to unallocated space problems

1. Extending C: on Disk 1 to unallocated space problems - Similar Threads - Extending Disk unallocated

2. Can't extend C drive with unallocated space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't extend C drive with unallocated space: I have a problem with extending the space on my C drive, I've already tried using Disk Management and I've also watched videos on Youtube. I noticed that the D drive and C drive were on the same disk on every video and that mine were on different drives. I feel like I've made...
  3. Can't extend C drive with unallocated space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't extend C drive with unallocated space: I have a problem with extending the space on my C drive, I've already tried using Disk Management and I've also watched videos on Youtube. I noticed that the D drive and C drive were on the same disk on every video and that mine were on different drives. I feel like I've made...
  4. Can't extend C drive with unallocated space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk management question: How to move unallocated space to the right of C and then extend?

Disk management question: How to move unallocated space to the right of C and then extend?: Hi,This is sort of a follow-up to this locked thread:Move unallocated space right behind c drive disk management - Microsoft CommunityIs it possible to move that 13.4gb of unallocated space to the right of the system drive that so it can be added extended? to C?If so, it's...
  6. Extend OS Disk Memory with Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extend OS Disk Memory with Unallocated Space: Hello Microsoft Team, I recently nuked my Image partition in my SSD which freed up 12GB of Space. The total space of SSD is 256GB. My current OS volume only shows 222 GB as total available OS memory. [ATTACH] Now I would like to add the unallocated space to the OS volume...
  7. Extending disk volume uisng unallocated space

Extending disk volume uisng unallocated space: Hi, I used to have a Linux partition on my computer alongside Windows. I no longer need the Linux partition. For now, I want to recover the 780.75GB unallocated space left on my Disk 0 the hard drive where Windows is NOT installed in. Disk Management shows this: [ATTACH]...
  8. Cannot Extend Disk in to Unallocated space

Cannot Extend Disk in to Unallocated space: [ATTACH] I want to extend D: into the 74gigs of Unallocated space. If i **** the drive by making it Dynamic how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-extend-disk-in-to-unallocated-space/54319428-4838-41cd-bda6-3600734680fb"
  9. Extending C: on Disk 1 to unallocated space problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extending C: on Disk 1 to unallocated space problems: I fear my lack of knowledge might be creating a problem. Trying to help a friend with his W10 system. Disk 1 had partitions C: (System, boot,Page,...), and D: Instead of moving some data to D: he wanted the space D: occupied to be merged into C: I had him first verify...
  10. Extending disk space in drive c

Extending disk space in drive c: I want to extend my disk space in c but in the disk management I have a healthy oem partition in between which I can't delete or is it ok to delete this partition? So how to increase the disk space in c? here is the screenshot of the allocated disk space: [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to extend w10 disk to unallocated