Windows 10: Extending partition on hard drive.

Discus and support Extending partition on hard drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 box, someone has set up badly. The 640 gig drive, is partitioned into a 15 gig C drive, and a 625 gB D drive. The OS is spread... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Janning, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Janning Win User

Extending partition on hard drive.

I have a Windows 10 box, someone has set up badly. The 640 gig drive, is partitioned into a 15 gig C drive, and a 625 gB D drive. The OS is spread across C and D. Of course C is out of space, I'm trying to install Office 2010. Even though I set office to install on D, its wanting Space on C.
    I used Disk Manger and was able to unallocated 200 gig from D. I was hoping to extend the C partition from 15 to 215 gB with this unallocated space. However, the "extend" option Is greyed out for C. I tried rebooting (when in doubt reboot)
    same think, the 200 gig unallocated is there, but, the extend option for C is greyed out.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks James.

:)

Janning, Oct 29, 2016

2. We couldn't update the system reserved partition

This is exactly how my hard drive looked. It's that small data partition at the front of the drive that is causing your problem and needs to be extended per my posting. Use a utility like partition wizard to extend the data partition to 300 mb and the
    upgrade should proceed.

LarryPaise, Oct 29, 2016
  3. CARL7901 Win User
    file history hard drive multiple partitions

Does file history extend past the root partition user folders into data partitions or even another hard drive on the same PC?

CARL7901, Oct 29, 2016
  4. AddRAM Win User

Install and use Partition Wizard, it does it all.

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

If you want, post a snip of the entire drive from Disk Management, maybe there`s something holding up DM from letting you extend C, it`s grayed out for a reason.

With a drive that size I would make C at least 250 GB

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  5. Janning Win User
    Hi, how do I "post a snip of the entire drive from Disk Management" I think I know what you are asking for but not certain?

Janning, Oct 29, 2016
  6. AddRAM Win User
    First create the snip and save it to your desktop so you know where it is, then use the "Go Advanced" reply, then there will be a paperclip at the top of your reply, click it to upload the snip.

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  7. Janning Win User
    Ohh, are you saying post a screen shot of the disk manager, as opposed to downloading a diagnostics of some type?
    (I'll have to wait till I'm back at my other location to be "at the PC")

Janning, Oct 29, 2016
  8. Janning Win User

What is that tool you are using for the screen shot?

Janning, Oct 29, 2016
  9. AddRAM Win User
    The snipping tool, it`s in Windows Accessories in your App list, pin it to your taskbar, along with Paint, you will use them both alot.

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  10. Janning Win User
    You're going to laugh, I've been an Oracle developer for 20+ years, and believe it or not, I know my way around windows (I hate Win 10)...and I have never used snip! (sort of). I was able to download a free snip it tool, after opening it....ah I remember this, great tool, but, oddly, Ive always just used paint.
    Anyway, I also downloaded the partition wizard, but, have to wait till I'm at other location, to give it a try.
    I have Partition Magic, but its too old a version, it wont start up....will not work on Win 10. I bet if I open using Orca, I could tweak Partition Magic .ini to start up on 10, but, Ill try partition wizard first, and let you know.

Janning, Oct 29, 2016
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Partition Wizard is the best, I personally use the Boot CD, it`s much safer to work with partitions outside of Windows, I always use it to setup my drive before installing Windows.

But the installed version reboots the PC and does its thing before it boots to windows.

Once you learn how to master Paint and the Snipping tool in combination (like I did on the last pic) you`ll be a Pro *Smile

Bootable Partition Manager| MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

You just download the iso file then burn to cd, one of the best tools in the box *Biggrin

Once you customize 10 and put what you use most often on the taskbar, you`ll never know the difference, a lot of us here have been using it since the Technical Preview 1st came out so it`s old hat to us.

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  12. Janning Win User
    I've been using Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements and making it look n feel like win 7. I work in an office with 20+ Oracle apps consultants...we all feel the same way. .. Microsoft is abandoning the developer (of any type, not just oracle) and targeting a more "pad user" type audience. ..we simply don't feel that win 10 is near as friendly or useful from are standpoint, as the earlier version. The other guys keep threatening to goto Fedora, etc...but, that's not going to work out!

Janning, Oct 29, 2016
  13. AddRAM Win User

So why are you using it then, just install 7 *Biggrin

7 Rocks *Thumbs

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  14. Janning Win User
    Yes, 7 rocks, but so does being on the cutting edge! for production, you bet, its on 7....but, I'm bound and determined to adapt.
    7 will go extinct eventually....throughout evolution, the species which survive are not the strongest, not the smartest.....only the ones with the best ability to adapt to change. I seriously doubt, I have to preach to anyone here about, technology and ..."change". Its not always good to be a rebel and be different...sometimes you gotta stay with the herd.

Janning, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Extending partition on hard drive. - Similar Threads - Extending partition hard

2. Partitioning a Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning a Hard drive: Hi, I recently installed a new HDD and was hoping to create a partition in order to keep my programs separated for organisation reasons. If anybody knows how to create a hard drive partition in windows 11 then I would appreciate the help a lot thanks. x...
  3. Extending the C Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extending the C Drive Partition: I have 368.10GB free on the installed M.2 drive however I am unable to extend the "Boot Drive C:" partition within it. I have tried multiple things but I would like to avoid reinstalling windows if possible. The "Extend Partition" option is always greyed out. Please advise....
  4. Extending the C Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extending the C Drive Partition: I have 368.10GB free on the installed M.2 drive however I am unable to extend the "Boot Drive C:" partition within it. I have tried multiple things but I would like to avoid reinstalling windows if possible. The "Extend Partition" option is always greyed out. Please advise....
  5. Extending the C Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Can't "Extend Volume" on my hard drive after partitioning it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't "Extend Volume" on my hard drive after partitioning it: [ATTACH] **Disclaimer: I'm a noob aight. Idk anything** Story/Context: I wanted to create a hackintosh, so I used space on my 2 TB hard drive to do so. I failed LOL. I set aside 250 GB on my hard drive and now I can't use it. Help: As stated above, when I try to extend...
  7. How to extend exFAT partition on hard drive.

How to extend exFAT partition on hard drive.: I have an external hard drive with 120gb unallocated space on it, when I try to extend my main partition the option is greyed out. Is there any way to extend the partition to make it all one partition?[ATTACH]...
  8. Hard drive partitions

Hard drive partitions: I cloned my 1TB hard drive to my 4TB hard drive and there are 2 unallocated sotrage I can allocate one but I can't do anything with the other they are at C: 930.94GB G: 1116.49GB leaving me with 1678.02GB that I can't allocate or merge with any of the other 2 or merge all 3...
  9. Extend partition C Drive to another physical hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extend partition C Drive to another physical hard drive: I just bought a laptop with 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD. The OS is install on 128GB SSD and i had extend partition to it maximum. So can i extend my C partition to 1 TB HDD? (something like RAID 0, but my laptop lenovo ideapad 320s had no RAID in BIOS). So any solution can...
  10. partitioning hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    partitioning hard drive: hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options. many thanks to all that...