Windows 10: External 4TB HDD does it need running up occasionally

Discus and support External 4TB HDD does it need running up occasionally in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi i have an External 4TB HDD, its. A few years old, I use it to keep all my backup data on, although thats backup 3 of a 3 HDD set....but when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by reddwarf4ever, Jun 20, 2020.

1. External 4TB HDD does it need running up occasionally

Hi

i have an External 4TB HDD, its. A few years old, I use it to keep all my backup data on, although thats backup 3 of a 3 HDD set....but when I connected it today, to synchronise, using FreeFileSync, there were many errors reported, couldnt read files etc. So decided to delete individual folders and replace them from one of my other backups.

my question, is it necessary to occasionally power up this HDD, even if I have nothing new to add, will this keep it working healthier ? I keep this 4TB HDD in my car in a secure box. The idea being, of my PC was stolen, I would still have all my data and vice verse if my car was stolen.....may sound OTT, but gives me peace of mind.

Not sure if it would deteriorate being in the car in a box.....in the colder months I always leave it indoors overnight to warm up, before connecting it, or should I do that anyway ???

thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Jun 20, 2020

2. Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD

Hi

I have been trying to plug and unplug the Seagate 4TB External HDD with my Mac Pro which run Windows and was unable to detect my HDD. what is the cause of the problem and how can I recover it? Anyone can help or advice what should I do? Thanks

DreamerChin, Jun 20, 2020
  3. MikaeelM Win User
    Windows10 unable to recognise external (USB) HDD (WD My Book 4TB)

Windows10 unable to recognise external (USB) HDD (WD My Book 4TB) - however, I'm able to see all files from a Linux machine i have on same HDD... I dont want to lose my content on the external HDD by reformatting etc. Please help.

MikaeelM, Jun 20, 2020
  4. External 4TB HDD does it need running up occasionally

external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

External 4TB HDD does it need running up occasionally

1. External 4TB HDD does it need running up occasionally - Similar Threads - External 4TB HDD

2. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    clean whole 4tb hdd: Hello ,I have a device which have 2hdd at 4tb. I want to clean the whole disk app? How much time it will take to clean it using diskpart clean all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-whole-4tb-hdd/43f61293-7f08-406a-a8f2-0235a9fe4243
  3. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean All on a 4TB HDD: I have a question. I have a Sinology NAS with 2 hdd at 4TB. It crashed I want to fully clean the hdd. How many hours will will it take using Diskpart clean All. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-all-on-a-4tb-hdd/974c166c-507b-4cce-a273-0adf9ccf29ae
  4. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean All on a 4TB HDD: I have a question. I have a Sinology NAS with 2 hdd at 4TB. It crashed I want to fully clean the hdd. How many hours will will it take using Diskpart clean All. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-all-on-a-4tb-hdd/974c166c-507b-4cce-a273-0adf9ccf29ae
  5. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Help with formatting 4tb hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with formatting 4tb hdd?: I recently built my first PC, and have been having some issues formatting the hard drive properly. Windows 10 is installed on a separate 500gb ssd, so it is empty, except for a partition called "System Reserved" which takes up ~600mb and is preventing me from converting from...
  7. Toshiba external HDD Backup Software does not run

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Toshiba external HDD Backup Software does not run: Recently bought a Toshiba Canvio Advance, installed the Security Software which formatted the HDD as expected. Afterwards I installed the Backup Software, however when I run it, after selecting the HDD, the Backup program disappears, not allowing to select the Backup features...
  8. Occasionally an internal HDD does not show up diskmgmt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Occasionally an internal HDD does not show up diskmgmt: (Very) Occasionally an internal HDD does not show up diskmgmt and I need to reboot to get it back. Out of curiosity - does anyone out there have any ideas why? This was again the case to day. Had a number of external drives connected. After proper 'Removal' and reboot, the...
  9. Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD: Hi I have been trying to plug and unplug the Seagate 4TB External HDD with my Mac Pro which run Windows and was unable to detect my HDD. what is the cause of the problem and how can I recover it? Anyone can help or advice what should I do? Thanks...
  10. 4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly

in Windows 10 Support
    4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly: Hi there I installed a new 4 TB internal SATA HDD yesterday ( new data disk) -- Windows 10 prompted me immediately after W10 had booted (from an SSD) on boot up -- Uninitialized Disk select GUID / GPT or MBR. For HDD's > 2TB you need GPT to use full size partition....