Windows 10: External 6Tb Hard drive is now 1.5Tb!

Discus and support External 6Tb Hard drive is now 1.5Tb! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My 6Tb external backup hard drive was having problems. I decided to reformat it. When I tried it failed & Windows identified it as a RAW drive, not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GARoss, Jul 14, 2020.

1. GARoss Win User

External 6Tb Hard drive is now 1.5Tb!

My 6Tb external backup hard drive was having problems. I decided to reformat it. When I tried it failed & Windows identified it as a RAW drive, not NTFS.

I tried Seagate Tools but that said the drive was okay. I deleted the volume & created a Simple Volume, then formatted to NTFS but it now only reads 1.5Tb. The only thing I can think of the portions of the drive had gone bad but 1.5Tb is still working.

What happened? Can it be restored to the full 6Tb?

:)

GARoss, Jul 14, 2020
  2. GARoss Win User

6tb external hard drive reads 1.5tb unallocated in Windows 10?

Thanks. It appears the issue was because I had the new, unformatted drive setup as an external USB drive. I have since connected the drive in my case via SATA & now able to format to NTFS all 6Tb. I'll move it back to USB but I'm guessing it will be okay now that it's formatted.

GARoss, Jul 14, 2020
  3. GARoss Win User

Using a new 6tb external hard drive plugged into a USB port for backup. Need to format but it only reads 1.5tb of unallocated space in Windows 10? Is this an Intel RST driver issue? If so, how can I tell if the RST driver need updating?

Windows 10 64-bit ver 1703 OS Build 15063.540
    AMD 1700 8-core
    Asus Prime X370-Pro MB

GARoss, Jul 14, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Try using diskpart. With the drive connected, open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and run:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace the # with the actual number assigned to the 6TB external hard drive
    clean <- this will completely erase the drive selected above, make sure it is the new external drive!
    convert gpt
    exit
    exit

You should then see 6tb unallocated space in Windows that you can partition and format however you like.

NavyLCDR, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

1. External 6Tb Hard drive is now 1.5Tb! - Similar Threads - External 6Tb Hard

2. Seagate external 5TB hard drive crashes & freezes windows explorer. Any possible fixes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate external 5TB hard drive crashes & freezes windows explorer. Any possible fixes?: Recently borrowed a 5TB Seagate HDD after my old died on me. Had it since yesterday and it was working perfectly. Was able to transfer games and some other backup data to it no problem. Today, after launching a new game from it, the game and my PC froze while changing...
  3. Seagate external 5TB hard drive crashes & freezes windows explorer. Any possible fixes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate external 5TB hard drive crashes & freezes windows explorer. Any possible fixes?: Recently borrowed a 5TB Seagate HDD after my old died on me. Had it since yesterday and it was working perfectly. Was able to transfer games and some other backup data to it no problem. Today, after launching a new game from it, the game and my PC froze while changing...
  4. Seagate external 5TB hard drive crashes & freezes windows explorer. Any possible fixes?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 not recognizing Seagate 5TB external drive

Windows 10 not recognizing Seagate 5TB external drive: I bought a new 5TB Seagate external portable backup drive. Windows 10 would not recognize it. Windows 10 Device Manager could see and name the device, but when doing 'create and format' the disk, the screen went blank. It even froze the PC. Many other problems materialized...
  6. External hard drive

External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  7. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  8. External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost: How do you find an external hard drive after you change the drive letter and path in disk management? I need to find this in order to recover a very important file. When I plug in the external hard drive now, it does not show up in This PC. When I try to scan with Recuva,...
  9. external hard drive formatted now invisible on laptop

external hard drive formatted now invisible on laptop: Hi, I fitted the hard drive from my old PC into an external enclosure. I plugged it into my Win 10 Laptop and backed up some files I wanted to keep, so far so good. I now want to use the drive as a backup for the Laptop so I formatted the drive using Macrorit disk partition...
  10. 6tb external hard drive reads 1.5tb unallocated in Windows 10?

6tb external hard drive reads 1.5tb unallocated in Windows 10?: Using a new 6tb external hard drive plugged into a USB port for backup. Need to format but it only reads 1.5tb of unallocated space in Windows 10? Is this an Intel RST driver issue? If so, how can I tell if the RST driver need updating? Windows 10 64-bit ver 1703 OS Build...