Windows 10: External backup can't see Desktop

Discus and support External backup can't see Desktop in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Right. For Edge "Do you want to change the execution policy?" You said "Reset" My choices are: "Yes"? "Yes to All"? "No"? "Suspend"? Sorry to be obtuse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Gomer, Apr 19, 2016.

1. simrick Win User

External backup can't see Desktop

hmmm....maybe forget that and try this:
    How to Reset Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Reset Edge through its settings. (I haven't personally used the PowerShell method yet...)

simrick, Apr 26, 2016
  2. Gomer Win User

Did it. After doing that it suggests "Windows’ System File Checker tool (sfc.exe) might be able to fix the problem. You can run a full system scan with the System File Checker by right-clicking the Start menu, selecting “Command Prompt (Admin)”, and running the following command: sfc /scannowFor more information on running System File Checker commands, check out our guide on the subject. If the SFC command fails to fix the problem, then try the more advanced DISM command or System Update Readiness Tool described in our guide. Restart your PC and hopefully Microsoft Edge should work properly.

Here is the link to "our guide on the subject" if that doesn't work above <How to Repair Corrupted Windows System Files with the SFC and DISM Commands>

I'm running a Full Scan by Defender (43 min so far) now that I have Uninstalled AVG and Updated Defender. BTW, IYO, is Defender sufficient as an anti-virus program to no longer use AVG?

I'll proceed with the rest of the browsers while the Defender scan progresses and get back to you when finished if not before.

Gomer, Apr 26, 2016
  3. simrick Win User
    After Defender is finished, and the browsers are all reset, Step #5 is running the system file checker (sfc /scannow). Be sure to re-boot in-between each time you run it (assuming the result you get is *not* "no integrity violations found"). In the tutorial I linked on running sfc /scannow, you'll see, down towards the bottom, a code box with instructions how to get that log text file to me, if we need it. If you have any questions, please ask. I should be here for a few hours.

Windows Defender has come a long way from its infancy days as Security Essentials, and it's pretty good now, but I wouldn't depend on it alone (or any AV, for that matter). You need a layered approach, as different programs excel in different detections. If you were to stay with Defender (which I now use and like very much), I would recommend adding a few more programs to cover all the bases. We can go over that in detail later, if you like.

simrick, Apr 26, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

I just remembered, we have some difficulty with your Desktop, which is where that code will put the log text file. I may modify that code just a bit, so don't do that part yet, until you hear from me.

simrick, Apr 26, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Don't want to butt in ...simrick will take good care of you!!!
    Just wanted to say Hello to a fellow Mainer!!! Not very many folks on here from Maine. Maybe 2 or 3 .....lol I am about 30 miles from Portland. Used to work in Portland. Just wanted to say HI *Smile Take care, Mike

OldMike65, Apr 26, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Always welcome Mike! *Smile

simrick, Apr 26, 2016
  7. Gomer Win User
    OK, simrick, here are the files for the scans I've run. I have not yet rebooted since yesterday morning, but I did get the "no integrity etc" notice on the second scan after quarantine. I just noticed that you said to reboot before running sfc a second time. Should I reboot and run it again?
    OK it doesn't like any of the CBS.logs - too big so only the ADWC file. Shall I split the CBS logs into two parts?
    And still no Cookies or Desktop folders in C:\ Users and file paths still have \Cookies in them.
    What's next?

Gomer, Apr 26, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Thanks Gomer. Give me a few to have a look at things.
    If you ran sfc /scannow and received the result "No integrity violations found", then that's fine. We can skip the CBS log.

simrick, Apr 26, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Please go ahead now and have ADWCleaner delete everything it has found. I have to move to a different computer...be back in a bit.

simrick, Apr 26, 2016
  10. Gomer Win User
    Hi Mike,

Well, simrick might end up wanting everyone to butt in if he wants to have any hair left. LOL

Few Mainers? My experience is that most everyone I know who has a computer would not know how to get here. It's not that you can't get here from there, but not knowing that here exists. LOL I do much appreciate that you young people are on the ball here. (I'm assuming that 65 in your handle is your young age, of course.)

Lest you think that I'm joking about being older, in basic training in the Air Force some 50+ years ago, I was given a choice of two careers. One was classified and in electronics and the other was computers. I went to the barracks and my TI asked "What did you get?" I told him "One is something called computers" and he said "What's that?" Then he said. "What's the other?" and I said "Classified - something in electronics." Then he asked me where the training was and I said that Computers was in Amarillo, TX and he turned up his nose and said "The armpit of the AF." And then I said the Classified one was in Denver, and he grabbed me by the shirt front and shouted "THERE'S 7 WOMEN FOR EVERY GUY THERE!!!" So I went into electronics repairing equipment that monitors the world for atomic bombs. Later I met a guy from basic who did go into computers and IBM guaranteed him a job for $35K/yr when he got out two years later 1966. A princely wage then for a non-college grad. Me, none of my training was useful in civilian life. LOL

BTW, I'm in Leeds, west of Augusta, and north of L/A. Be well.

Gomer, Apr 26, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Gomer, that is a great story!

Please set a restore point.

Can you get File Explorer open to the current location of the Cookies-(Desktop)? In other words, I'd like to see the path in File Explorer to be C:\Users\[username]\Cookies, and in that window, seeing the Desktop, and does it have the icon that the Desktop icon should have?

If so, then right-click on Desktop folder and select Properties, and go to the Location tab. In the location tab, What does it show as the path? It should be C:\Users\[username]\Desktop. If it's not, you have a button called "Move", select that, and select the path C:\Users\[username]\ and Select Folder. It should ask you if you want to move all data - please say yes.

I have to leave for a few hours now. I will ask another member to have a look at this instruction - so please wait for a reply from someone else before doing this.

simrick, Apr 26, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    65 was my age when I 1st joined now I'm 66. *Smile And simrick is a Woman, and one VERY Smart Lady. *Smile

Well its nice to see someone from Maine join, like I said not many from Maine on here. I have 2 cousins left, that live in the L/A area. So sounds like we are close in age ...lol Hope everything gets solved on your computer, simrick is one of the best on here so your in VERY good hands. Take Care, Mike *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 26, 2016
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Well looks like simrick wants me to step in for a bit.....follow her instructions and I'll be back ....right in the middle of cooking a pizza.
    I will be back...promise *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 26, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Well guess you left......I'll look back to see if your on ...Mike.

OldMike65, Apr 26, 2016
  15. Gomer Win User
    Can you get File Explorer open to the current location of the Cookies-(Desktop)? In other words, I'd like to see the path in File Explorer to be C:\Users\[username]\Cookies, and in that window, seeing the Desktop, and does it have the icon that the Desktop icon should have?

OK, not sure what you wanted with this, so I have screenshot a variety of things.

Remember there is no C:\Users\[username]\Cookies, or C:\Users\[username]\Desktop when I go to C:\Users\[username], but if I go to C:\Users\\Cookies (which is the new user I created for this experiment), there are both Cookies and Desktop folders Ditto that for Default user

Also you can see that the Desktop under This PC shows C:\Users\[username]\Cookies\Desktop as the path and the "find target" gets that "not accessible Access Denied"

I have a meeting to go to this evening but will check back with you either later or tomorrow morning. simrick, you are in the same timezone, so should I meet you with my coffee at 5? LOL Thanks again for all your good work.

Gomer, Apr 26, 2016
Thema:

1. External backup can't see Desktop - Similar Threads - External backup can't

2. I can't backup on an external driver on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't backup on an external driver on Windows 11: Hello, I am new to windows 11 and wanted to do the monthly backup as I always did on windows 10. After a long time searching for where the new backup setting is, I found out, I only have the option to backup my data on the Open drive. I searched everywhere for a solution, all...
  3. Can't see backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't see backup files: I'm running Windows 10 and using Windows Backup. It's set to back up to a Toshiba external drive. It says that it's backing up files every day. When I open the Toshiba drive I see no Windows backup files. I have it set to show hidden files. I am the administrator. I...
  4. Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.

Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.: I get an error message when I try to do this. WD Backup and WD Smartware need access to COM+ Applications under component services. When it is not possible to access the COM+ Applications, the WD Backup software or WD Smartware software will appear to be installed but will...
  5. Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.

Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.: I get an error message when I try to do this. WD Backup and WD Smartware need access to COM+ Applications under component services. When it is not possible to access the COM+ Applications, the WD Backup software or WD Smartware software will appear to be installed but will...
  6. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  7. Can't see external drives in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't see external drives in File Explorer: I have 3 external disks and none of them are recognised when I plug them in, the usb ports are ok as I can plug any usb drives and use them with no issues. I have used these 3 drives with no problems in the past. I think a Windows 10 update has caused some issues? Please...
  8. I can't see an external drive

I can't see an external drive: I'm trying to move 4G of files from an iOmega external drive to my WD 4T backup drive, but Windows Explorer does not see the iOmega drive. Device Manager sees it, its driver is updated, I disabled and enabled it, tried various USB ports, rebooted my laptop, but Windows...
  9. External Backup Drive (see snip attached)

External Backup Drive (see snip attached): Dell laptop, Win. 10, i7 intel processor, C: Drive SSD 250 Gb, F: Drive, 500 Gb external HDD backup. Computer often tells me I have insufficient space for a backup (scheduled for every day)."Manage Windows Backup Disk Space" confirms I have less space than required so I...
  10. Apps can't see files on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps can't see files on desktop: So, this started about two or three weeks ago, but I haven't really had time to check into it. It's very annoying. Apps (all that I have tried recently) don't see files I have on the desktop, if I need to browse to them. Example: I scan a sheet and save as a .pdf (or...