Windows 10: External backup can't see Desktop

Discus and support External backup can't see Desktop in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've tried searching for this but everything that comes up doesn't get to the problem. Also not sure where to post this. My WD Passport Ext. HD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Gomer, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Gomer Win User

External backup can't see Desktop

I've tried searching for this but everything that comes up doesn't get to the problem. Also not sure where to post this.

My WD Passport Ext. HD can't see the Desktop or the files on it and I don't know where in the depths of Win 10 to find it.
    The Passport software only sees what is in "C:" not what is in "This PC"

Attached is a screenshot. Top left is the Properties of a file on the Desktop Path is C:\Users\ \Cookies\Desktop
    Top right is the same file Path is This PC> Desktop

Bottom left shot is This PC> C:> Users > and the folders below go from Contacts to Documents without Cookies or Desktop.

Bottom right Passport sees the same thing and thus does NOT backup anything on the Desktop?

So my question to all of you wizards is where does Win 10 hide the Desktop folder so I can access it to back it up?

Thanks Muchly for your help
    External backup can't see Desktop [​IMG]

:)

Gomer, Apr 19, 2016
  2. joe_808 Win User

How to cancel out of display edit mode

Go to files >backup. If you can't backup then probably you haven't inserted memory card. Check with external PD attached and see if it works.

joe_808, Apr 19, 2016
  3. ywurry Win User
    Why can't I backup following upgrade to Windows 10

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few months ago. Unfortunately I have just realised that my backup is not working. I usually backup to an external hard drive but although I can see that drive in the File Explorer, when I go through Settings, Update
    & Security, Backup; I can't then see the external drive.

I wondered whether it would be possible to backup to Onedrive but can't find a straightforward solution.

Any help for this not so computer savvy individual would be most welcome.

ywurry, Apr 19, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    The position of the Desktop is normally C:\Users\[username]\Desktop
    However, if you have moved your user files, then you have to look for the actual desktop files on the drive you pointed it to.

For instance, all my user files have been pointed to another internal hard drive called H:. In order for me to backup my desktop files, I have to find the Desktop folder which actually points to my H drive.

If this is not the case for you, maybe this tutorial might help:
    Libraries in Navigation Pane - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Apr 20, 2016
  5. Gomer Win User
    Thanks for the reply Simrick, but I think you misunderstand what my problem is. The issue is that the desktop and its files and folders do not show up in C:\ If you look at my screenshot you can see that the file path is
    C:\Users\[username]\Cookies\Desktop (Sorry, I should have used "[username]' as you did) but all I find and the external drive sees is Calamity(C: >Users>\[username] but no Desktop or cookies as in the path of the file.

Since it is not showing there in Windows Explorer, the backup drive doesn't see it. I'll redo that file and upload
    So where is C:\UsersCookies\Desktop? How can a file have a path that can't be seen in Explorer?

Gomer, Apr 20, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Right, sorry. C:\Users\[username]\Cookies\Desktop is not a proper location for Desktop - where did the "Cookies" come from?

Mine here is H, because I have my libraries pointed to another drive - yours should be C.

Did you "show libraries" as in the tutorial? Once they are shown, you can right-click and default them. That may help.

simrick, Apr 20, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Files that are hidden will not show up in File Explorer. Go into Control Panel>File Explorer Options>View tab, and select to show hidden files, folders and drives. See if it shows up then.

simrick, Apr 20, 2016
  8. Gomer Win User

Yes it is already set that way

Gomer, Apr 20, 2016
  9. Gomer Win User
    Yes, in every instance, show libraries is already checked.

Gomer, Apr 20, 2016
  10. Gomer Win User
    Y'know, the more I think about it, the issue is not all this extraneous stuff of Libraries, Quick Access, etc. They are red herrings. "Libraries" are another layer added by MS on top of the basic C: drive contents. But they are just mirrors of what is actually in C: drive. My understanding is that their purpose is simply to keep people away from f'ing with C:

The issue is simply that the backup drive does not care about Libraries or Quick Access and just deals with C: So, why does the C: drive tree not show the Cookies or Desktop folders that are shown in the file's path, or rather where in C: is the folder Cookies\Desktop located because if something is on this computer, it has to be located somewhere in C:

All the other drives are empty until something is inserted into the USBs or a disk is put in the disk drive. Only my Passport E: has anything in it, all the backed up files. BTW, I do appreciate your help with this.

Gomer, Apr 20, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    I understand your thinking, and I agree somewhat.
    I am suspecting some sort of reparse point, which is what I am trying to rule out.

In File Explorer, "This PC", In the View tab, when you click the little arrow down for the Navigation Pane, there is a selection for Show Libraries (#3 in this pic). Please make sure that is checked.

Once you can see the Libraries icon in the navigation pane, please right-click it and select Restore default libraries.

simrick, Apr 20, 2016
  12. Gomer Win User
    I followed every detail as you instructed, but still nothing has changed.
    Simrick, I'll be out of town tomorrow, so won't be able to answer any emails until Sat late. Thanks again for your help.

Gomer, Apr 21, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Okay, no problem. *Smile
    When you return, please expand the arrow for This PC and post a pic.

Curious - do you have any other user accounts on the system? If not, can you create one and see if Desktop is positioned correctly?

simrick, Apr 21, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    Also, when you return, if creating a new user account resolves nothing, please download and run RKILL, and post the log it creates, here in a code box (click the # button and then paste in the info in-between the CODE tags). If there are indeed any Junctions/Reparse Points, RKILL will identify them.

Then, without rebooting, download and run ADWCleaner. Post that log also. I believe it will be in your root (C:\AdwCleaner\)

p.s. glad to help - just wish we could get somewhere! *Wink

simrick, Apr 21, 2016
  15. Gomer Win User
    Attachment 76549I don't know what is going on. When I tried to change this image to full size, the properties box ( or whatever it's called) flashes open for a second and then is gone. Can you expand this image?

Gomer, Apr 24, 2016
Thema:

1. External backup can't see Desktop - Similar Threads - External backup can't

2. I can't backup on an external driver on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't backup on an external driver on Windows 11: Hello, I am new to windows 11 and wanted to do the monthly backup as I always did on windows 10. After a long time searching for where the new backup setting is, I found out, I only have the option to backup my data on the Open drive. I searched everywhere for a solution, all...
  3. Can't see backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't see backup files: I'm running Windows 10 and using Windows Backup. It's set to back up to a Toshiba external drive. It says that it's backing up files every day. When I open the Toshiba drive I see no Windows backup files. I have it set to show hidden files. I am the administrator. I...
  4. Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.

Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.: I get an error message when I try to do this. WD Backup and WD Smartware need access to COM+ Applications under component services. When it is not possible to access the COM+ Applications, the WD Backup software or WD Smartware software will appear to be installed but will...
  5. Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.

Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.: I get an error message when I try to do this. WD Backup and WD Smartware need access to COM+ Applications under component services. When it is not possible to access the COM+ Applications, the WD Backup software or WD Smartware software will appear to be installed but will...
  6. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  7. Can't see external drives in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't see external drives in File Explorer: I have 3 external disks and none of them are recognised when I plug them in, the usb ports are ok as I can plug any usb drives and use them with no issues. I have used these 3 drives with no problems in the past. I think a Windows 10 update has caused some issues? Please...
  8. I can't see an external drive

I can't see an external drive: I'm trying to move 4G of files from an iOmega external drive to my WD 4T backup drive, but Windows Explorer does not see the iOmega drive. Device Manager sees it, its driver is updated, I disabled and enabled it, tried various USB ports, rebooted my laptop, but Windows...
  9. External Backup Drive (see snip attached)

External Backup Drive (see snip attached): Dell laptop, Win. 10, i7 intel processor, C: Drive SSD 250 Gb, F: Drive, 500 Gb external HDD backup. Computer often tells me I have insufficient space for a backup (scheduled for every day)."Manage Windows Backup Disk Space" confirms I have less space than required so I...
  10. Apps can't see files on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps can't see files on desktop: So, this started about two or three weeks ago, but I haven't really had time to check into it. It's very annoying. Apps (all that I have tried recently) don't see files I have on the desktop, if I need to browse to them. Example: I scan a sheet and save as a .pdf (or...