Windows 10: External backup can't see Desktop

Discus and support External backup can't see Desktop in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi. I am back for about an hour, then gone for the evening. I'd like to meet you for coffee tomorrow morning, but I'm afraid I am not available until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Gomer, Apr 19, 2016.

1. simrick Win User

External backup can't see Desktop

Hi.
    I am back for about an hour, then gone for the evening. I'd like to meet you for coffee tomorrow morning, but I'm afraid I am not available until about 9am. External backup can't see Desktop ;) (and, that's not because I'm sleeping in!)

Okay, we can't go This PC>Desktop, because that's like a phantom pointer.
    The Desktop icon in Default Users looks correct - the icon is normally only a yellow file folder, and not the familiar blue Desktop icon at that location.

You set a restore point, right?

[You may or may not have to uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files" for this next bit.]

External backup can't see Desktop [​IMG]

Please try going here (in the new user account you created):

This PC>Calamity (CExternal backup can't see Desktop :)>Users>Gomer>AppData>Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\#!002\MicrosoftEdge\Cookies

Open the Cookies folder by double-clicking on it. If Cookies is indeed in this location, is the Desktop folder inside it? If so, is it the familiar blue Desktop icon there?

If it's not there, can you find it by looking in the same location under your main user account? If we can't find it that way, we'll have to try another method. I need to know the exact path to the Desktop folder.

Tomorrow is fine. Have lots of coffee ready for me!

simrick, Apr 27, 2016
  2. Gomer Win User

Will Do! And some banana or squash bread. Please tell your Significant Other to give you a Hug for me. You truly deserve it and maybe need it. G-

Gomer, Apr 27, 2016
  3. simrick Win User
    Yum....banana bread...

If you open the properties box of a file which resides on your Desktop, (not a shortcut), can you see the full path?

simrick, Apr 27, 2016
  4. Gomer Win User

Yes, it is the usual C:\Users\[username]\Cookies\Desktop

Did you see what I added above?

Also, my desktop now has a dozen plus icons for docs that begin with ~$and the name of a file. All the icons are shaded, and all are corrupted. They just appeared when I unchecked the File Explorer Option and disappear when I recheck it.

Gomer, Apr 27, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Okay, you set a restore point, right?

And (forgive me if you did this already) if you copy that location into File Explorer, you can see all your desktop items in the right pane?

(Mine is empty, as it is relocated to another drive.)

simrick, Apr 27, 2016
  6. Gomer Win User
    Yes I set a restore this afternoon

NO! I don't have a desktop after [username] See what's circled in red

Gomer, Apr 27, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Good morning Gomer! I apologize for being late; I have been doing some research on your problem. I also need to confer with a colleague.

Is this the bit you added to your post?
    [QUOTE]Then I unhid the protected operating system files and tried again and Bingo!!!

Calamity (C*Smile>Users>[username]>AppData>Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\#!002\MicrosoftEdge\Cookies\conta in er.dat
    [/QUOTE]

Go up one level so you are in the Cookies folder - there is no blue icon Desktop folder in there?

You mean something like this?

That's normal when showing hidden system and OS files. They are shaded (not corrupted), and will go away when you hide system files again, so nothing to worry about.

Question: Do you have some "old" software installed on the system? Something written perhaps for Win XP?

simrick, Apr 27, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Looking at your first post:

I don't see the backslashes that would normally appear after Users and after Gomer - is that just a result of the screenshot?
    It says
    C:\Users Gomer Cookies\Desktop (with 2 or 3 spaces in-between) but it should be
    C:\Users\Gomer\Cookies\Desktop

Can you verify this for me please?

If it is indeed the first one, with spaces, can you open File Explorer and copy/paste that location in and see what comes up?

simrick, Apr 27, 2016
  9. Gomer Win User
    Go up one level so you are in the Cookies folder - there is no blue icon Desktop folder in there?
    There is only that one dat file in the Cookies folder

You mean something like this? Yes

That's normal when showing hidden system and OS files. They are shaded (not corrupted), and will go away when you hide system files again, so nothing to worry about.

Question: Do you have some "old" software installed on the system? Something written perhaps for Win XP?[/QUOTE]

Well sure Office 2000 & 2007, probably stuff for cameras, and I have a WinXP on a partition and should probably get rid of it because the CAD program I wanted to run on it didn't. Possibly a couple other things.

Gomer, Apr 27, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    Okay.

It appears to me you may have hard-coded junctions (all pointing to null folders). This is indicative of older software which is not compatible with W10. The file/folder location structure of XP is incompatible with W7 and up. We also may have some cross-OS problems going on here.

Do you have your XP partition set to "hidden" when in the W10 OS and vice versa?

I have a theory; I'd like you do do a test for me please.

Do you have Ccleaner (Free version) on the system? If not, would you please install it?

In Ccleaner, go to Tools on the left, then System restore in the next column, and verify the restore point you made yesterday is still there.

Close Ccleaner. Reboot the machine, but this time go into your XP OS. Let it fully boot up, then reboot back into your W10 OS. Open Ccleaner in W10 and see if the restore point is still there.

In Ccleaner, navigate to Tools>Uninstall. It will populate a list of all installed programs. In the bottom right-hand corner is a button to save the list of installed programs to a text file. Please do that, and post it here for me. Thanks.

simrick, Apr 27, 2016
  11. Gomer Win User
    Sorry, that is just my paranoia. My username is rfochtmann and I'll use it from now on. is the other username and when I tried to past that into what I read, I erased the \s. I guess after working so long together, there is no use in trying to remain anonymous.

No it is as you have in the second instance

Gomer, Apr 27, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    Okay, thanks... just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. *Smile

simrick, Apr 27, 2016
  13. Gomer Win User

OK and here is the install.txt

Gomer, Apr 27, 2016
  14. Gomer Win User
    OK back again.
    Could not go into XP. Black screen said that there was a conflict on the disc and it could not open etc. then it took me back to the page to choose OS . Yes my restore points are still there. And here is another copy of the CC install txt.

Gomer, Apr 27, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    This, I think, is part of our problem somehow. The W10 that you are on now - was that upgraded from W7 or W8? It does not appear to me that the system came with W10 on it from Dell.

So you have 2 restore points now. Okay.

Thanks. Just to explain what I am looking at here: I had a couple of systems dual-booting at one time with XP and W8. Because XP would tamper with some of the W8 files, I was forced to hide the partitions from each other. I initially verified this problem by watching my restore points in W8 disappear every time I came back to it from the XP partition. Also, I have seen "updated" systems carryover baggage to W10, especially from W7, so this is a consideration as well.

I would like to try and get things sorted without doing a clean install; I'm sure you prefer that scenario as well. I will do my best, but please keep in the back of your mind that the clean install may become necessary as the last resort.

If you're not using these, then this is the list of programs I recommend uninstalling:

Consumer In-Home Service Agreement Dell Inc. 3/9/2011 375 KB 2.0.0 (Unless you are paying for an extended warranty for your W10 through Dell somehow?)Dell DataSafe Local Backup Dell 3/9/2011 357 MB 9.4.60
    Dell DataSafe Local Backup - Support Software Dell 3/9/2011 9.4.60
    Dell Getting Started Guide Dell Inc. 3/9/2011 2.99 MB 1.00.0000
    Dell Marketplace Webslice IE8 Nextjump Inc 3/9/2011 15.0 KB 8.0
    Dell MusicStage Fingertapps 3/9/2011 86.5 MB 1.3.31.0
    Dell PhotoStage ArcSoft 3/9/2011 143 MB 1.5.0.19
    Dell Stage Fingertapps 3/26/2011 45.9 MB 1.4.173.0
    Dell VideoStage CyberLink Corp. 3/9/2011 31.0 MB 1.1.0.1011
    eBay eBay Inc. 3/9/2011 1.69 MB 1.4.0
    (All the Epson printer software if that printer no longer exists)
    Get Office Microsoft Corporation 3/18/2016 17.6811.23771.0
    Get Skype Skype 3/10/2016 3.2.1.0
    GoToAssist Corporate Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. 3/17/2011 4.30 MB 9.1.0.615
    Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional Microsoft Corporation 9/6/2011 146 MB 9.00.3821
    My Dell PC-Doctor, Inc. 3/17/2016 182 MB 3.3.6280.92
    Nitro Reader 3 Nitro 4/5/2013 203 MB 3.5.2.10
    Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.1.4 Oracle Corporation 10/28/2011 154 MB 4.1.4 (update as this is old- it's on v5 now)Palm Desktop by ACCESS Palm, Inc. 3/28/2011 140 MB 6.4.0.0
    PC Wizard 2010.1.96 CPUID 9/9/2011 8.07 MB
    PNotes 8.0.110 Andrey Gruber 11/12/2011 2.93 MB 8.0.110
    Quicken 2004 Intuit 7/3/2014 61.1 MB 13.00.0000 (You have Q2014 on here - do you need Q2004?)QuickTime 7 Apple Inc. 1/14/2016 95.3 MB 7.79.80.95 (No longer supported by Apple-security risk)Skype Toolbars Skype Technologies S.A. 3/9/2011 10.7 MB 1.0.4051
    Software Updater (? no company name, version or install date - may not uninstall properly either)System Checkup 3.4 iolo technologies, LLC 4/24/2013 11.5 MB 3.4.0.47
    TrustedID TrustedID 3/9/2011 270 KB 5.0
    Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin Microsoft Corp 2/2/2012 296 KB 1.0.0.8 (This plugin is no longer maintained by MS. If you must use it, see here. But, it will be a security consideration.)

Tthe following two are no longer supported by MS not sure why they are on the system? MSXML 4 is at Service Pack 3 now; MSXML itself is supported by MS at v5 now. Are they needed perhaps for the old version of QuickBooks? This page shows a list of MSXMLs and what programs they come with.
    Manual updates can be found here.

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) Microsoft Corporation 3/17/2011 2.55 MB 4.20.9870.0
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) Microsoft Corporation 3/17/2011 2.67 MB 4.20.9876.0

Not sure I would uninstall them, but instead try to update.

Next, we'll have to get rid of that XP partition and fix your boot issues. But, first things first. *Smile And, we'll probably need to manually back up your data before we do that.

simrick, Apr 27, 2016
Thema:

1. External backup can't see Desktop - Similar Threads - External backup can't

2. I can't backup on an external driver on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't backup on an external driver on Windows 11: Hello, I am new to windows 11 and wanted to do the monthly backup as I always did on windows 10. After a long time searching for where the new backup setting is, I found out, I only have the option to backup my data on the Open drive. I searched everywhere for a solution, all...
  3. Can't see backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't see backup files: I'm running Windows 10 and using Windows Backup. It's set to back up to a Toshiba external drive. It says that it's backing up files every day. When I open the Toshiba drive I see no Windows backup files. I have it set to show hidden files. I am the administrator. I...
  4. Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.

Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.: I get an error message when I try to do this. WD Backup and WD Smartware need access to COM+ Applications under component services. When it is not possible to access the COM+ Applications, the WD Backup software or WD Smartware software will appear to be installed but will...
  5. Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.

Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.: I get an error message when I try to do this. WD Backup and WD Smartware need access to COM+ Applications under component services. When it is not possible to access the COM+ Applications, the WD Backup software or WD Smartware software will appear to be installed but will...
  6. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  7. Can't see external drives in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't see external drives in File Explorer: I have 3 external disks and none of them are recognised when I plug them in, the usb ports are ok as I can plug any usb drives and use them with no issues. I have used these 3 drives with no problems in the past. I think a Windows 10 update has caused some issues? Please...
  8. I can't see an external drive

I can't see an external drive: I'm trying to move 4G of files from an iOmega external drive to my WD 4T backup drive, but Windows Explorer does not see the iOmega drive. Device Manager sees it, its driver is updated, I disabled and enabled it, tried various USB ports, rebooted my laptop, but Windows...
  9. External Backup Drive (see snip attached)

External Backup Drive (see snip attached): Dell laptop, Win. 10, i7 intel processor, C: Drive SSD 250 Gb, F: Drive, 500 Gb external HDD backup. Computer often tells me I have insufficient space for a backup (scheduled for every day)."Manage Windows Backup Disk Space" confirms I have less space than required so I...
  10. Apps can't see files on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps can't see files on desktop: So, this started about two or three weeks ago, but I haven't really had time to check into it. It's very annoying. Apps (all that I have tried recently) don't see files I have on the desktop, if I need to browse to them. Example: I scan a sheet and save as a .pdf (or...