Windows 10: External backup can't see Desktop

Discus and support External backup can't see Desktop in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Just one thing I would be sure to have a recent backup of is your RoboForm folder, as it stores ALL your passwords. Keep this in a safe place. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Gomer, Apr 19, 2016.

1. OldMike65 Win User

External backup can't see Desktop

Just one thing I would be sure to have a recent backup of is your RoboForm folder, as it stores ALL your passwords. Keep this in a safe place. This folder is located here.
    Documents/My RoboForm Data
    Just copy the folder "My RoboForm Data" folder to a 2nd drive, or even a usb stick. I also use RoboForm. You really don't want to lose this folder. *Smile
    Mike...

OldMike65, May 1, 2016
  2. Gomer Win User

Thanks Mike, I do have a thumbdrive that has that file on it. I once had a hard drive crash, and was freaked out at losing those passwords especially because the files were backed up periodically on discs and I would have only lost a couple weeks of data (a lot of course for the most used files). Like everyone else, I was pretty lax about backup. That incident was a game changer.

Fortunately I was able to retrieve all of my data files from the old HD, but at the speed of a snail. Over weeks I could copy a file but some took 3 or more hours to copy. Still, I consider myself fortunate that I could get them all back again and have always had a spare HD for backup. Unfortunately, I've had to resort to WD Passport external drive with this computer and my bad habits of storing some stuff on the desktop precipitated this long discussion.

Again, I appreciate all the help you Ten Forumers are willing to give. Hugs to you too.

Gomer, May 1, 2016
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    After you and simrick get your computer issues fixed gomer, then I would also suggest downloading a good image backup program like Macrium Reflect and do your backups at least once a month. Keep these on an external drive also. This is a Free program and works very well, more dependable than Windows backup. Here is a link for it, incase you want to check it out. *Smile
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

OldMike65, May 1, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Thanks Mike for helping out with Roboform, as I use LastPass, and that saved me some research! *Wink

I am a bit stretched thin today @Gomer, so will reply on the other issues later. Thanks for your patience!

simrick, May 1, 2016
  5. Gomer Win User
    OK Mike I downloaded the installer and will put it into a ToDo Folder. That's a

Gomer, May 1, 2016
  6. Gomer Win User
    Take ALL the time you need, even if it takes weeks. You've given me more time than one could expect. Thank you and a HUG

Gomer, May 1, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    No problem simrick .....I just happen to use same one as Gomer .....*Smile

OldMike65, May 1, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Louisiana.
    Excellent. Then the Gomer profile is not corrupt.
    Try going to Control Panel>Programs and Features. Highlight O2007 and click Change. It should give you an option to repair the installation. You may need your install disks, but usually not.

External backup can't see Desktop [​IMG]

All programs installed on the system with a Start Menu entry will show in that location for all users.
    Excellent, so it is a simple copy function. Good.
    If you can select folders on the WD drive, and then select where to restore them to, you *should* be okay.
    So you use Thunderbird as your email client. Does the Gmail account feed through to it as well?
    Usually, programs installed on a computer are available to all users of that computer. That's not to say there aren't programs that (can) install for a single user only. Everything you've mentioned above should be available for Gomer. You can verify that by going into the Gomer account and looking at the programs listed in the Start Menu.
    p.s. Picasa is no longer
    Defender and MBAE(anti-exploit) will run automatically. MBAM (anti-malware) Free will need to be run manually, on a regular basis, updating the virus definitions first. If you buy the paid version, it will be fully automatic, and is quite good at keeping the "bad stuff" from getting on the computer in the first place. The Free version gets the stuff off, should it get in. I personally use the free version, but recommend the paid version to most users. (Unless, of course, you are an experienced malware cleaner, like me!) SAS (SuperAntiSpyware) Free is also a manual scan/update.
    Once you've got your data in the Gomer account, we can deal with the browsers, and then the email. You might want to change Gmail to IMAP.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External backup can't see Desktop - Similar Threads - External backup can't

2. I can't backup on an external driver on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't backup on an external driver on Windows 11: Hello, I am new to windows 11 and wanted to do the monthly backup as I always did on windows 10. After a long time searching for where the new backup setting is, I found out, I only have the option to backup my data on the Open drive. I searched everywhere for a solution, all...
  3. Can't see backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't see backup files: I'm running Windows 10 and using Windows Backup. It's set to back up to a Toshiba external drive. It says that it's backing up files every day. When I open the Toshiba drive I see no Windows backup files. I have it set to show hidden files. I am the administrator. I...
  4. Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.

Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.: I get an error message when I try to do this. WD Backup and WD Smartware need access to COM+ Applications under component services. When it is not possible to access the COM+ Applications, the WD Backup software or WD Smartware software will appear to be installed but will...
  5. Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.

Can't get my laptop to see my western digital external backup.: I get an error message when I try to do this. WD Backup and WD Smartware need access to COM+ Applications under component services. When it is not possible to access the COM+ Applications, the WD Backup software or WD Smartware software will appear to be installed but will...
  6. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  7. Can't see external drives in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't see external drives in File Explorer: I have 3 external disks and none of them are recognised when I plug them in, the usb ports are ok as I can plug any usb drives and use them with no issues. I have used these 3 drives with no problems in the past. I think a Windows 10 update has caused some issues? Please...
  8. I can't see an external drive

I can't see an external drive: I'm trying to move 4G of files from an iOmega external drive to my WD 4T backup drive, but Windows Explorer does not see the iOmega drive. Device Manager sees it, its driver is updated, I disabled and enabled it, tried various USB ports, rebooted my laptop, but Windows...
  9. External Backup Drive (see snip attached)

External Backup Drive (see snip attached): Dell laptop, Win. 10, i7 intel processor, C: Drive SSD 250 Gb, F: Drive, 500 Gb external HDD backup. Computer often tells me I have insufficient space for a backup (scheduled for every day)."Manage Windows Backup Disk Space" confirms I have less space than required so I...
  10. Apps can't see files on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps can't see files on desktop: So, this started about two or three weeks ago, but I haven't really had time to check into it. It's very annoying. Apps (all that I have tried recently) don't see files I have on the desktop, if I need to browse to them. Example: I scan a sheet and save as a .pdf (or...